Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1908-O Barber: Too much cleaning for straight grade?

PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up this Barber a couple months ago. It wasn't my first choice of picks that day- really wasn't even on the radar but seller came down to $80 for it and I bought it with a group of other coins. Was against my better judgement at the time, as there appears to be a tad bit of light cleaning on the obverse. Is there too much cleaning for a straight grade?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't think it will straight grade but is worth the $80 you paid for it!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

If submitted I see a "genuine" in its future.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears to be 15-25 yrs worth of toning on that since it was last dipped. I wouldn't preclude it not getting a grade based on those photos.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see the fine small horizontal lines indicating a cleaning, but I don't have the coin in front of me. Agree with
    RR. It appears AU if it isn't net graded. the 1892 P and the 08 O are the most common Barber Halves in higher grades.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

Thanks guys for your feedback and thoughts. The pictures above were taken with my phone using daylight as source for light. I've taken a few more pics to capture hairlines, and also a bit of polish. I used desk lamp to capture these and tilted at one angle to show some hairlines, and the other to show a bit of polish on high points of Liberty.

Hairlines across Miss Liberty's face neck visible when tilted left

Some polish on high points

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's worth submitting, but don't get your hopes up too high.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

:smiley: Send it to Jeff! If anyone can get that scrubbed up coin into a holder he can! :smiley:

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep your investment to $80, a good buy. Wrapping it in plastic will not improve it.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those left to right lines across the face, neck and field appear to be from scraping against a rough surface, maybe other coins when stored in a wooden box? They don't appear to be from cleaning. I'd agree with Elcontador's AU grade....though it could get netted to XF45 due to those scrapes.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin. Had no idea they fetched so much in XF-AU raw. I always loved the barber sets. One of the closest coins to my heart is a 1908-O. Thanks for sharing. Nice to see people with an appreciation for these.

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 9:09AM

It's worth what you paid for it. I wouldn't bother having it graded ( this goes with the antage:
    Never throw good money after bad. )

Jeff (ElContador) is correct, it's one of the most common Barber Halves -
    there's enough detail on the coin to make it attractive for a type set.

Thanks for sharing !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had no idea they fetched so much in XF-AU raw.

You ought to see what the better dates fetch, in original condition!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

@MFH said:
    It's worth what you paid for it. I wouldn't bother having it graded ( this goes with the antage:
    Never throw good money after bad. )

Jeff (ElContador) is correct, it's one of the most common Barber Halves -
    there's enough detail on the coin to make it attractive for a type set.

Thanks for sharing !!

Great idea MFH- I bought last year a respectable 20th Century Type Set on the bay, and swapped out the 1912 Barber Half that was probably in G-VG condition with the 1908-O. I think I'll focus on upgrades for the rest of this type set. Thanks for suggestion.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice old coin... not bad for the price...not sure I would slab it though.. good album coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Decent coin, probably not worth grading, 50/50 shot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file