Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dealers at small shows with less business activity

2»

Comments

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here in Toronto we have an aging collector base, garbage economy and dealers selling at sky high pre-2008 prices, which results in continually poor results for our coin dealers.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 why would anyone not take safety classes. Seriously you are asking for trouble these days if you don't secure proper paperwork and skills to carry. SMH

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was dealer and really got things moving, I could sell as much as $30,000 to $40,000 at a small show. The reason was my want list work. I also got to meet new customers. There are sometimes more things going on at a well established small show than you might think.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    @logger7 why would anyone not take safety classes. Seriously you are asking for trouble these days if you don't secure proper paperwork and skills to carry. SMH

I agree
    How does this relate to this post?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of our local county shows have all but quit, our only two coin dealers within 50 mile radius are now only open Fri and Sat. One opens on Thurs by agreement. Sad, but the internet has to offer every type and grade coin and our local dealers still have a 10 or more year old inventory, some of which they paid more than they can sell it for, yet prices tend to stand the same. They both are still open only due to rolls of silver coins and some gold, not nearly as much as in the past.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read the attached article on the theft in the link and was commenting directly to the information.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect some dealers at small shows buy more than they sell.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file