Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Quick question on an old thumb buster Indian Cent album...

USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

The album says on the front it is from 1856 to 1909, but there is no spot for the 1856... misprint?

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

More than likely the maker didn't bother to put in a space for the 1856 because it was deemed to be too rare for that type of album.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Very helpful, thanks!

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were several similar type albums where the REALLY rare coins, for example a 1916-D Merc, or 09-S VDB did not have the "circle" punched out of the paper. It was perforated, and theoretically could be removed, but it was a right up front indicator that the purchaser of that album was never going to fill that hole, so the manufacturer left the paper intact, so the collector would not feel bad about having an album with a hole in it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob ...I did not know that.... very informative.... Thanks.. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Here's my two albums as a reference. One is from 1857-1909 and the other is the one I'm talking about.. 1856-1909 whereas the 1856 has no hole at all.. it starts at 1857 like the other does....

Now, let's see if the pics work :smile:

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the other end of the spectrum, I have an old Whitman folder for Liberty nickels. In that folder there is a slot for a 1913 nickel. I've had that folder for over thirty years now and try as I might, that one little hole is still empty. Why did they do that? WHY?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC my old Whitman folder for Merc. dimes had a blue cardboard "plug" in the 16-D spot. It could be removed once the dime was acquired.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid those albums had a spot for a coin like the 1856 Flying Eagle Cent, but it was filled with a round cardboard disk with the word "RARE" printed on it and four cardboard ridges to hold it in place. I suppose that you could have cut the disk out and put a coin in there if you ever found a piece to fill that hole. The Mercury Dime fold had a similar spot for the 1916-D.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file