Home U.S. Coin Forum

NGC Gold CAC Mercury Dime

Vbowling299Vbowling299 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
edited February 17, 2017 12:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just because there has been a lot of discussion about NGC coins with CAC stickers...Lets try and avoid all the negativity and enjoy a super PQ coin that was PQ before the sticker and always will be. This is one I picked off of EBAY as a BIN without a sticker and got the gold. My track record is very good with NGC old holders and PCGS rattlers for gold stickers obviously! :smile:

Sorry about the Crappy Pictures, they are probably from a few years ago with a low quality phone.

Comments

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beauty!! Nice old slab!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is definitely a bias toward the old slabs. When did JA stop working at NGC and what generation of slabs were extent then?

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice fatty and Merc.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just that you need a better picture, Andrew :lol:

@Vbowling299 said:
    Pretty sad how little attention a thread has that shows a cool coin has, when everyone fights in a thread there are 150+ posts.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pristine, old holder, gold bean, super luster & strike.
    That Merc is going places.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the holorgram on the fattie is still complete - double score!

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Merc.... definitely worth the gold bean... Cheers, RickO

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

My first two gold-beans were both NGC Mercs as well . . .one 2.1 and one 2.0. I won't restate the obvious on the early NGC holders, but I have also had success in the CAC dept. with them.

Ditto for Rattlers . . .

Drunner

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vbowling299 said:
    Pretty sad how little attention a thread has that shows a cool coin has, when everyone fights in a thread there are 150+ posts.

I would disagree with your thought process, at least for me. I would not have commented on this thread, save for your post, because the coin is relatively common, has no distinguishing characteristics itself that make it stand out from other, similar common coins and the images aren't high enough quality for me to discern anything other than "CAC likes it".

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what folks are expected to say except nice enough coin, slab, and sticker.

I'm kind of with TomB, and will add that coins that WoW! me personally are cool coins that would still be cool in anyone's plastic, or no plastic at all. That looks like a nice white common date dime but difficult to see it well, since the plastic takes up over 90% of your photographs.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Vbowling299Vbowling299 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

Sorry guys, just posted an old coin with an old picture quick trying to ease up all the arguing and bickering going on in some of the CAC threads. I'll try and post something a little more interesting next time.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those thirithish Mercs be a breed all their own.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need to be sorry, I think TomB and I were reacting more to your second post 5 hours after your first, when you said,

"Pretty sad how little attention a thread has that shows a cool coin has, when everyone fights in a thread there are 150+ posts."

and wondering how much and what kind of feedback you were expecting, and hoping you don't feel too sad about it.

Want 150 responses? Claim CAC was out of their mind to give this gold and that the service is actually a disservice. ;)

We've all posted a nice normal thread about a nice normal coin, that a handful of people agree with it, and then the thread sinks into oblivion.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:

Want 150 responses? Claim CAC was out of their mind to give this gold and that the service is actually a disservice. ;)

We've all posted a nice normal thread about a nice normal coin, that a handful of people agree with it, and then the thread sinks into oblivion.

Too true. Drama is part of what makes the (coin) world go around. I'm getting fat from eating all the popcorn while reading the various dramas currently airing. Maybe I'll eventually stop reading so much and actually post something of substance.

Gotta go now. There's a show playing a few threads over.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

@Vbowling299 said:

I would disagree with your thought process, at least for me. I would not have commented on this thread, save for your post, because the coin is relatively common, has no distinguishing characteristics itself that make it stand out from other, similar common coins and the images aren't high enough quality for me to discern anything other than "CAC likes it".

I agree.....this coin does not look that great to me. From the pic it would be lucky to cross at grade at PCGS. JMHO.

I am basing this on the coin ...... not the holder or sticker.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice looking Merc...

Hoard the keys.
  • cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    And the holorgram on the fattie is still complete - double score!

Best, SH

What @spacehayduke said...these look so much nicer when the hologram isn't shredded. That holder was well cared for and the coin while common sure looks nice. Good job all the way around!!

Jeff

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file