Home U.S. Coin Forum

Wow, PCGS- what a great display!

tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stopped by the Long Beach show yesterday on my way to Hawaii with the family. Pcgs put together an absolutely amazing display for my early dollar set. I was quite impressed!!!

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It truly is an amazing set. I got to see it at the FUN show.

• kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Holy crap, simply gorgeous man!!

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely done. I had the pleasure of seeing the 1794 at a show a while back, and it is truly an amazing coin. I wish I could see this display!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never get tired of looking at this set. Sorry I missed you Bruce

M

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2017 2:18AM

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    ...whatever u do, don't bring that collection to Hawaii with u ;)

Thanks for sharing. It was the next best thing to getting to see it in person. Have fun in Hawaii:

Be on the lookout for the filming trucks if you or any of your family members are followers of Hawaii Five-0 and have interest in behind the scenes filming details. Here are some of my observations as to a few scenes from the most recent episode:

This past week's Hawaii Five-0's episode surprised with two of the Task Force Team members pulling up to a parking spot in front of the Moana Pacific Condos that I had parked my own vehicle in on multiple occasions when visiting family who resided in the condos. Accompanying them was a suspect who was with them to disclose the location of a witness residing in the condos. Interestingly, when they actually went into the building, the unit they visited was in fact filmed at another location. (The interior location was most likely filmed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village which has units fronting the ocean as can be seen in a below screen shot. Hilton is one of the sponsors for the show and many scenes have been filmed on their property, such as the infamous Shrimp Truck which is repeatedly parked along the Hilton Hawaiian Village's lagoon.)

Pictured immediately below are screen shots from the episode showing the car pulling up into the parking space (which incidentally is a reserved space for guests of Moana Pacific Condos); Detective Kono peering into the parked car with the suspect seated; and the faux condo unit itself. (The trees in the background behind Kono as she peers into the car border Pikoi Avenue and they separate the private parking area from the public street):

And for comparison here is my photo taken looking from the same direction, although closer to the entrance of the Moana Pacific Condos (It includes family members greeting each other at the condo entrance); and my photo showing the Moana Pacific Condos in the distance as they are viewed from Pensacola Street. (I was actually focusing on the unique Coca Cola sign that has survived intact from decades past as seen on a semi abandoned corner building along Pensacola.):

Some of the above referred to "filming trucks" for which to be on the lookout:

• dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Except for that one grey haired guy who keeps standing next to the exhibit, the exhibit looks great.

• AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice display!

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

• TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats, what is the grade on that 1794

• coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing collection Bruce. I got to see it in person at the FUN Show.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful, and congratulations! I saw it at FUN as well.

• 10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

Nice display!
    So where on the submission form is the option for a 10' tall Trueview.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice display! Any of you who have 3000x3000 pixel (or larger) images of your coins owe it to yourself to get a poster made and framed of one of your favorites. It's one thing to look at them on a display, but they really can look amazing when printed.

• gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Fantastic coins and display. Did you know the 1794 $ has gone up 7.5% in value every year since it was minted? A nice constant return.

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

i saw the exhibit today. i really enjoyed it.

my favorite coin is the 1795 draped bust in 66, because of the luster.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice display.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice. It seems way nicer than the setup at FUN. It is much neater to see the owner in the pics!!

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didja get a shot of the twins in front of those images ?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastically marvelous set. The display of the 1794 is nicely done. The other coins I thought weren't lighted all that well and I badly wanted to see the reverses. Luster seems almost out of place on early dollars. Some of these babies pop. How cool to see them all together like this.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, but I do have these shots with my eldest son

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb set!

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is just amazing what some people can accomplish. That dollar and this set are true vestiges of our country's history. Thank you for putting them on display. I wish I could have made the trip to see them in person.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to find words to describe this set. I think AWESOME sums it up nicely. Virtually unimprovable!!!

edited February 18, 2017 9:18PM

@DCW said:
    It is just amazing what some people can accomplish. That dollar and this set are true vestiges of our country's history. Thank you for putting them on display. I wish I could have made the trip to see them in person.

Plus 1

• GoBustGoBust Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it was the most fabulous numismatic display I have seen in my lifetime. Really a tribute to early Americana. Congratulations Bruce. Thanks for taking me over and showing me the display.

edited February 19, 2017 2:20AM

@GoBust said:
    I thought it was the most fabulous numismatic display I have seen in my lifetime. Really a tribute to early Americana. Congratulations Bruce. Thanks for taking me over and showing me the display.

I have never met Bruce, but your posting confirms that TDN is indeed a gentleman and a scholar!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A truly beautiful coin and a great display..... Cheers, RickO

• jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn't make it to LB this time so I'm a bit sad I missed the display. It looks great though...congrads!

jom

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive... Congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

@GoBust said:

It was MY pleasure!

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

I visited the set twice, but was disappointed to find the showcases locked both times.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Truly something to hold dear and treasure ( as they are real Treasures! ), pass down. Congratulations on such a numismatic accomplishment!

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

A envious set along with an envious display.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

@mrearlygold said:
    Truly something to hold dear and treasure ( as they are real Treasures! ), pass down. Congratulations on such a numismatic accomplishment!

+1

• cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Which is Bruce and which is Laura???

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which is nicer, the 1794 or Grace Kim?

Seriously, anyone know if the display will be at the March Baltimore show?

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Nope - FUN and Long Beach was it

Grace Park?

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2017 11:03PM

Great pic with your son at the display. Does he collect too?

Not unless you count Pokémon cards. My 2 year old is asking to look at coin pics lately tho so there's still hope!

@gummibear said:
    Fantastic coins and display. Did you know the 1794 $ has gone up 7.5% in value every year since it was minted? A nice constant return.

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2017 2:45AM

tDN, did PCGS let you handle any of your slabs or did they give you a hard time? :-)

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Logarithmic scale is mandated when tracking the 1794 $ market value. :)

edited February 21, 2017 11:58PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    Grace Park?

Yes.

OK, here is a point of trivia. One of my then unmarried adult sons flew back to Hawaii on the same flight with her from the Pacific Northwest. (I assume she had been home to Canada for the holidays). In any event he was impressed that she flew coach - although she did have a full row of seats which she made use of to sleep most of the flight - so, even though she was just across the aisle, the opportunity to become acquainted did not materialize.

Ironically, the same son played the role of a sleeping passenger on the infamous Oceanic Flight #815 that was recreated in the final season of LOST. He is seated just behind the LOST character "Sawyer":

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file