Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Long Beach

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were at the show today, please tell us about your experience.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the market showing signs of life?

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was busy. Sometimes I wasn't able to speak with a dealer because either he / she was involved in a deal or there were too many people at the table.

Didn't see much I was looking for. A guy named Pierre Fricke in the 400 row had bins of various dates of large cents, costing $15, $20 and $25, respectively. Must have had over 150 of them. A number in the $25 bin were Fine or better. Some were over 200 years old. It's a neat way to get new people into old copper.

Saw a number of people I enjoy seeing, and that's primarily why I come to see shows.

Bruce Morelan's dollars are definitely worth a look. I did see a PC 64 + 1828 Quarter. Eye Appealing Coins had a nice run of AU Capped Bust Halves.

Saw one MS 66 Liberty Nickel I liked, but the dealer wanted more than I wanted to pay for it. Did see a 12 S in PC 6 that had far more detail that you usually see on these coins in this grade. I'm talking about complete hair detail and a full left corn. Prices on the whole series in this grade have dropped considerably in the last two to three years.

Coin wise, I submitted a Nice NGC coin for the grade for attempted cross at same grade to PCGS.

Coin wise, the usual suspects were there. Lots of Morgans, Peace $s, gold and not as many Commems as the last show.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice crowd. Had to wait for an opening several times just to get to dealers tables. Got a nice win at the auction just now that wasn't even really on my radar but I fell for it during lot viewing. Did not seriously consider it as I imagined it would be well outside the budget...... but amazingly my bid held up. Those occasions are getting fewer & fewer. :)

• Options
    edited February 17, 2017 5:26AM

@BryceM said:
    Nice crowd. Had to wait for an opening several times just to get to dealers tables. Got a nice win at the auction just now that wasn't even really on my radar but I fell for it during lot viewing. Did not seriously consider it as I imagined it would be well outside the budget...... but amazingly my bid held up. Those occasions are getting fewer & fewer. :)

Would love to hear about the new piece.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very busy at my table almost the full day. Much busier than the last few Long Beach shows without a doubt. Was constant activity at my table from opening until at least 1:30 in the afternoon. Couldn't even sit down or hardly catch my breath. Then it slowed slightly towards the mid-afternoon, but still a steady stream of people coming by and doing business right up through about 6:30 in the evening which is also much later than typical for the show.

:+1:

Hoping the rain doesn't keep too many away for Friday and Saturday!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420...Well that sounds great..... a busy show like that means the market may be picking up... either due to cash flow or low prices...or both... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Busy show. My first NGC crossover invoice at PCGS went 100%! Two more to go.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed with above. Yesterday morning and early afternoon was VERY busy. I couldn't leave my table at all for a good 4-5hrs. Hope today is similar and rainstorm helps boost attendance!

The more you VAM..
  • Options

I like that one a lot!
    The early years do seem to have more character. Plus you got a very historic date to boot!

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the first LB show I've missed in awhile and only about the fourth I've missed since 1992. I'm glad it was a good show for everyone...I missed going but things got in the way. :(

jom

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like it was a pretty good show overall!

Awesome strike on the bust half, Bryce.

From Rick: **My first NGC crossover invoice at PCGS went 100%!
    That is very encouraging to see - but knowing Rick's 'eagle eye', this is probably exceptional.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was busier than usual overall. Thursday had more people in my opinion than a typical Thursday. Friday was probably a little down on attendance due to the rain and today was fairly busy until lunchtime.

We had a good show.

Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to infer that the monsoon weather didn't keep too many home.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2017 9:31PM

You made a great choice. Love the looks of that CBH. Strike and luster are great. 1812 is one of my favorite dates. When I was buying these; I always looked for the ones dated prior to 1820. Love those early dates. I feel they have better investment potential and are scarcer.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bryce, that is a wonderful O.103! Spectacular choice. I'm so glad you went with an early year.

I'm a buyer if you give it up sometime. How about now?
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    Bryce, that is a wonderful O.103! Spectacular choice. I'm so glad you went with an early year.

I'm a buyer if you give it up sometime. How about now?
    Lance.

I was actually thinking the same thing!!

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2017 11:11PM

NO! It was too hard to find, LOL!

• Options

@BryceM said:
    NO! It was too hard to find, LOL!

If it were mine, I would say exactly the same thing.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM...That is a very impressive 1812.... I like it a lot. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Nice coin! Great Photo!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

On Thursday morning, around 11 o'clock, there was a line of cars waiting to enter the parking garage. I can't remember the last time that happened. It looked to me that attendance was way up from the usual Thursday crowd. I liked that. Made me happy. The more the merrier!

• Options

It was my first visit to a Long Beach show. I used the PCGS early bird entry to get in for a look on Wednesday. It was quite a good time to go as most of the dealers had set up and I managed to do some trading and picked up some nice Lincolns. Positive experience!

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    On Thursday morning, around 11 o'clock, there was a line of cars waiting to enter the parking garage. I can't remember the last time that happened. It looked to me that attendance was way up from the usual Thursday crowd. I liked that. Made me happy. The more the merrier!

Yeah. Thursday morning was nuts. I don't think I left my table or sat down at all between 10 to around 1-2.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2017 7:43PM

@ Elcontador:
    "A guy named Pierre Frick"
    Saw this earlier and neglected to respond. Pierre is the author of one of the most comprehensive references for CSA currency. I use it frequently.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file