Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Semi-official Trump Inaugural Medal ...

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received this piece in the mail from H. Joseph Levine. Instead to re-writing his advertising copy, I'll present the history of this piece here. Maybe there will be another medal, maybe not, but this one was at least given to VIPs during the inauguration period, which something that can't be said for the official medal ... if there is one.

The Levine text:

__OFFICIAL TRUMP INAUGURAL MEDAL OF THE OHIO REPUBLICAN PARTY 2013.
70mm. Bronze. Peer Hansen, Sc. (Medalcraft Mint). Choice Unc. Housed in its original
presentation box with wooden stand. Obverse with a high relief front facing bust of President
Trump with just a hint of a smile. His name, DONALD J. TRUMP is inscribed above. The
reverse legend reads: FORTY-FIFTH PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
INAUGURATED JANUARY 20, 2017 around a representation of the American eagle as it
appears on the Presidential Seal. The edge is inscribed MEDALCRAFT MINT at 12:00 and
OHIO OIM 2017 at 6:00.
This medal was commissioned by the Ohio Republican Party. The Trump obverse was chosen
from a selection of obverse designs commissioned by Medalcraft for submission to the Official
Inaugural Committee as its official medal. However, due to the indecision of the Trump
Inaugural Committee, the Ohio party was given its choice of all of the Medalcraft designs. We
have seen each of Medalcraft's Trump portraits and, in our opinion, this is the best of the lot. Peer
Hansen, who crafted this design was also the responsible for the obverse of the 2013 Obama
Official Inaugural Medal.
About 500 of these medals were struck for distribution to various VIPs attending the inauguration
in Washington.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awful portrait..... Is this what "medalic art" has come to?

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

when things get designed on a computer, this is what you get :(

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thx for posting. I ordered one a couple days ago but if I had not already seen a notice about it elsewhere your post would have alerted me to it.

I don’t think inaugural medals are any kind of investment (unless you but gold or silver and benefit from a drastic change in precious metals prices), but this one has at least some slight chance of being a bit of a rarity if there is never an actual official medal issued.

The 2017 Inaugural Committee dropped the ball on a lot of the traditional Inaugural trinkets. There was no Inaugural license plate issued in DC, only one simple commemorative Inauguration Day postmark for Washington D.C. (and not various cities important to the Pres. and VP as is normally the case), and, so far, no official Inaugural medal.

BTW – I agree with some that the design leaves a lot to be desired. I looked recently at a catalog of older issues and since GWB or so the medals are less artistic. No offense to them but I think this corresponds to when Medalcraft started issuing Inaugural medals. I miss the days of the Medallic Art Company and the Franklin Mint.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2017 1:05PM

@BillJones said:

It's a Homer Simpson job. Nobody is going to buy this. Dang. you bought this?

Respect for you just turned down a notch.

At least the DJT could have been centered. Srsly.

Too many letters to the left vs. right, J dot is not the middle.

The eyes are crossed too.

Amazing.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's lovely :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

"2013?"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse is nice.

• Options

I don’t think inaugural medals are any kind of investment (unless you but gold or silver and benefit from a drastic change in precious metals prices), but this one has at least some slight chance of being a bit of a rarity if there is never an actual official medal issued.

Actually the older ones have more of a following than you might think. They all sell for much more at auction than the prices listed in the last guide book by H. Joseph Levine. The 1905 Theodore Roosevelt medal by St. Gaudens sells for well over $20,000 in really nice condition, the Harding medal can bring more than $20,000 in the right venue and the Coolidgemedal is worth more than $10,000,

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Not sure I want anything to commemorate him

Sorry you disagree Mr POR

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

Its not that bad of a medal really. I think I may be a buyer.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    I would settle for a smaller government with Trump not being part of it.

In the current political climate that is impossible. If Sanders had been nominated, we would have president Sanders.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2017 3:39AM

Bill

I will not make any further political commentary on your thread other than to observe that as of this writing, four disagree with my prior post. And I suspect the numbers that disagree may increase and that is fine... I think it is best to just agree to disagree and move on.

Not a fan of the medal and as I wrote in a different thread, it makes me appreciate the others I own more because with the majority of those, the engraving was not the lost art that it has become today.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many "disagrees" do you need before you are automatically banned?

• Options
    edited February 18, 2017 9:13AM

I agree that the metal is not attractive. Even the reverse which some people like, is nothing but an inferior rehash of The Great Seal that has appeared on other medals and coins.

Like it or not the medal is a monument to what I believe was greatest presidential election upset in history. Not even Harry Truman's victory in 1948 is equal to it. Some of the same signs were there. In 1948 Truman's crowds were large and boisterous. Dewey's rallies were smaller and less enthusiastic. Truman's campaign hit the road hard and strong with an extensive whistle stop campaign swing while Dewey rested on his laurels.

Still the sophistication of modern polling, which is much more scientific than it was in 1948, made the 2016 result more shocking. For better or worse the man with saltier language and more direct mode of expressing his views won the election just as it was in 1948. Given that perhaps it is proper that the Trump medal should have its rough edges.

Harry Truman's medal paid tribute to the those who got him elected, the everyday folk who voted for him on the reverse of his medal. If you look at the lower left of the reverse you will see them. If the Trump medal designer had been a bit more inventive perhaps such a subtlety would have made his piece more attractive.

• Options
    edited February 18, 2017 6:48AM

It's a Homer Simpson job. Nobody is going to buy this. Dang. you bought this? ... Respect for you just turned down a notch.

I am sorry that I have disappointed you, but history is what it is, and it's not always pretty.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill, that comparison to Truman was a great analogy and spot on. The medal is also very nice. I do believe they will issue an official inaugural medal...why would they break a long tradition? Just busy with a lot of important stuff right now... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2017 1:30PM

The comparison of these two images is odd. How it is a great analogy, I'm not sure, but, WTH, stranger things happen.

• Options

Any word yet on an "official" medal?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2017 3:55PM

I hope I am not going back on my written word. The Trump upset was amazing but it does not match the Truman upset of 1948 for several reasons. Truman was not overly popular and was the incumbent President. He never filled the shoes as a party leader in the tradition of FDR. The New Deal coalition fell apart with a split Democratic Party... Former VIce President Henry Wallace from the left and the Dixiecrats lead by Strom Thurmond that made it improbable that Trumann would carry the South. So how could Truman win without carrying New York and the south? Well he managed to run well and carried states such as Ohio and California. And winning California was considered impossible as the popular Governor Earl Warren was Dewey's VP. Truman ran stronger in the Midwest and West. While Truman had the benefit of Alben Barkley who was also underestimated and a tireless campaigner, not even Democrats gave him much of a chance to win.

Trump benefitted from being a TV personality and capitalized on the public perception that Washington was inept. He was the ultimate outsider and was able to capitalize on frustration that has not been seen in decades. The Brexit vote was an indication something was terribly wrong and the experts got it wrong. Truman as the incumbent President had to deal with the early stages of the Cold War, CIvil Rights, inflation, jobs and be accountable for all the problems that were overwhelming at the time. Trump was not accountable for anything and could not even produce his income tax. While Trump's win was amazing, I don't see it as surpassing the Truman upset of 1948.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to wonder why my previous post on this thread disappeared.

I simply indicated that I would buy the "official" medal and not the "ohio" medal.

No political commentary was added, even though I wanted to.

So I'll state again, I am a buyer of the official medal.

So there!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enough with the politics. Let's stay on topic with coin talk. We all enjoy our coins and can learn from each other. I hear way too much political talk everywhere else.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2017 5:02PM

@Boosibri said:

@Boosibri said:
    Not sure I want anything to commemorate him

Are you going to start talking about yourself in the third person? C'mon man!

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2017 10:22PM

It's clearly an Accented Hair variety (or maybe Exaggerated Hair) as he doesn't have nearly that much hair. Fortunately not a full body portrait - who knows what else might be exaggerated.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where did you find the pictured medal?

• Options

@asheland said:

Token and medal dealer H. Joseph Levine is offering them. His company it Presidential Coin and Antique Company.

https://www.facebook.com/Presidential-Coin-Antique-Co-Inc-116011441762507/

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@asheland said:

Token and medal dealer H. Joseph Levine is offering them. His company it Presidential Coin and Antique Company.

https://www.facebook.com/Presidential-Coin-Antique-Co-Inc-116011441762507/

Thank you Bill!

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, until the official comes along, I'll have to settle for this.

• Options

The price with postage is $67.50. The price will probably come down, but it's an interesting souvenir from a most historic election.

There are two things this piece has going for it. One, it was given out to campaign workers at the time of the inauguration which is something you won't be able to say about the "official medal" if there is one. Second the mintage so far has been 500 pieces. That is quite a bit lower than it has been for most modern inaugural medals, even the examples in silver and gold.

That's not to say that there won't be more struck, but if that number sticks, this piece does have a low mintage going for it.

• Options

Any word on an "official" medal yet?

• Options
    edited December 9, 2017 10:10AM

A Coin World article from several weeks mentioned an Inaugural-style medal that appeared on the Trump campaign website. It is being made by Medalcraft and while the obverse seems to be one of the original proposed designs, the reverse is entirely different from the Ohio or RNC medals. Does this one count as the "official" medal? You decide.....

https://shop.donaldjtrump.com/products/presidential-medal

• Options

It looks more like a campaign piece than an inaugural medal. Inaugural medals usually have the date of the swearing in and often mention the vice president.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well there are these versions as well. Plenty of different portrait options to consider for anyone interested. I will stay with official US Mint versions, but I am getting a bit tired of too many medals being created by so many, including the Mint.

trumpdollar.us/2017-trump-dollar/

• Options

Not going to engage in a further political debate. I will just agree to disagree.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

Yep but then, I've never met a sculpture or medalic rendition of a living person that actually looked like that person. (Think Presidential Dollars!)
    Did George Washington 'really' look that goofy? I mean, on the dollar bill and the Quarter. We all accept those particular renditions but then we really have no idea what he looked like in person.
    With Trump, we know.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2017 1:07PM

@19Lyds said:

@RogerB said:

Yep but then, I've never met a sculpture or medalic rendition of a living person that actually looked like that person. (Think Presidential Dollars!)
    Did George Washington 'really' look that goofy? I mean, on the dollar bill and the Quarter. We all accept those particular renditions but then we really have no idea what he looked like in person.
    With Trump, we know.

Jean-Antoine Houdon was a great scul;ptor and Gilbert Stuart was an excellant portrait painter.. Stuart sometimes got in trouble when he tried to paint people below the neck, but his faces were good. I think we know what George Washington looked like.

As for the Washington Quarter we have known for a long time that that design was a weak effort. Ditto for the presidential dollars. The Lincoln portrait on the presidential dollar could have been on the cover of "Lincoln Vampire Slayer" AFTER Lincoln turned into a vampire.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old PAM presidential portraits were pretty good overall.

• Options
    HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    It looks more like a campaign piece than an inaugural medal. Inaugural medals usually have the date of the swearing in and often mention the vice president.

Do you really believe DJT would allow mention of anyone but him on valuable real estate such as a medal commerating him? Seriously?

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• Options

@BillJones said:

I might well be wrong but I thought I had read that the VP was often included on 2nd term medals but not first term ones.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the official version of this medal is hooded.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file