Home U.S. Coin Forum

Starting Out

KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I started collecting coins (and later paper money, tokens, and medals) about 3-4 years ago. When I was starting out, I got a book by Arlyn Sieber called A Kid's Guide to Collecting Coins. This book, along with Alan Herbert's Warman's U.S. Coin Collecting were some of the best for beginners. What is a book you started out with?

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

Tagged:

Comments

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

I started with a Red Book. It is the coin collecting bible.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Red Book.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Red book

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blue book

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Red Book is extremely useful. I still have one on-hand that I use regularly.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Red Book, Christmas morning 1959.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Red book, plus I got stacks of my paternal grandmother's used issues of Coin World about 2x per year.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • The Red Book when I wanted to know how much I saved by finding a coin in the wild, but the Blue book when I wanted to know the real value of my collection.

~Matthew
    CoinRollin.blogspot.com

CoinRollin.blogspot.com

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 1959 edition Blue Book (in 1959) followed by a copy of COIN WORLD in April, 1962 when I was actually starting to collect and then the big move ... $1.75 spent on a 1963 edition of the Red Book in June, 1962.

All glory is fleeting.
  • PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2017 4:25PM

I also got a Red Book for Christmas- 1984. Up till then, I looked at Dad's, and was very proud to have my own. So much, I put my name, address, and telephone number in it just in case it got lost. I think I took it everywhere with me that next year.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first coin book I had was the 1973 Blue Book. My mom got it for me when I had the flu.
    I liked it because it gave me realistic values for my coins, and I think made it easier for me to transition to dealing coins.
    I remember I had a friend who had a Redbook and every time he would add a coin to his collection he would say, "Now my collection is worth $255.50...." And I would say "Great, but what's it REALLY worth?"
    He would respond $255.50.....he later found out when he got divorced and I handled his collection that he was wrong....of course, this was much later and his collection was worth WAY more than he thought... :'(

• UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 1963 Redbook.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a late starter. "The Coin Collector's Survival Manual," and "PCGS Guide to Grading"

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

1961 redbook from a second hand store.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Redbook. Now I have a near full set of them too.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spadones' book on oddities and varieties. Around 1966/67.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Redbook.... and while I know I do not have them all.... there are a lot of them on the bookshelf.....Cheers, RickO

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Fifty years ago it was the "Redbook", but not too long ago, I found "Coin Collecting for Dummies" which had some good advice for beginners.

Paul
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

1973 check stand at Lynches Market, small book that had info and a check list to put a rare coin collection together.. I can't remember the name of it. Lincoln Cent on the cover I think. I was hooked. My dad gave his Red book after that from the 50's

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file