Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

After more than 10 years of searching I finally found a neat Variety --- TrueViews added, last post.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 6, 2017 3:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum

What's the Variety?? It's a 1968-S/inverted S Kennedy Proof Half-Dollar. I wish I had kept track of how many Sets I had looked at, but it is easily over 1,000 in that timeframe, maybe double that. It's a common Set, costs under $6 and has three nice Varieties. I think the coin would probably grade PR68 with a chance at Cameo, the reverse is a little weak.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. That's a well sought out Variety. Good for you! ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. Looking forward to the pic. What kind of premium does it carry?

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat variety. Looking forward to seeing pic. I look at 2-3 thousand Dimes a day trying to find varieties that I need for the Registry sets. Been looking for years for some to no avail.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, looking forward to the picture :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2017 1:57PM

Inverted S or S/Inverted S? I've been looking for years for an inverted one but haven't heard of an S/Inverted S variety.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

just an Inverted S, I think it's FS-501.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    just an Inverted S, I think it's FS-501.

You really had me excited for there being an S/Inverted S variety lol... congrats on finding FS-501. I've looked at a TON of 1968-S halves and sets and have never found one. That variety is RARE!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2017 3:11PM

Here's an idea what your looking at for price.
    Congratulations, dude! This guy's asking $495

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Good job Keets. I recall MadMarty finding one many yrs ago.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:
    Inverted S or S/Inverted S? I've been looking for years for an inverted one but haven't heard of an S/Inverted S variety.

The roosevelt dime series has one, 1950 S/inverted S

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice catch! I've been looking for one myself for a very long time.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat variety, congrats!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

Glad your searching paid off, keets!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options

I recall MadMarty finding one many yrs ago.

Marty was the inspiration to look for this, I believe he found several back around 2003 before many of us, myself included, even realized that the Variety existed. at the time I didn't envision the difficulty I would have finding one, didn't really know the scarcity. almost certainly they came off one die but I wonder how many were struck before the error was identified? I'll know better once I remove the coin from the plastic but if I judge only on the frost of the obverse I would call it an EDS, maybe under 500 strikes into the die life.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one I've been watching for as well.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

ttt for added picture.

• Options
    edited February 14, 2017 6:51AM

@keets said:
    What's the Variety?? It's a 1968-S/inverted S Kennedy Proof Half-Dollar. I wish I had kept track of how many Sets I had looked at, but it is easily over 1,000 in that timeframe, maybe double that. It's a common Set, costs under $6 and has three nice Varieties. I think the coin would probably grade PR68 with a chance at Cameo, the reverse is a little weak.

Al H.

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but what is all that chatter below the Initials?
    68 would be hard pressed with those hits, no? Otherwise, nice find and beautiful coin!
    Wait a minute, that's on the case, huh? Never mind! LOL

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great variety congrats!!!!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2017 7:26AM

Congrats, keets, glad you found one.

(You'll probably find 2, 3 more in the next year or two!)

• Options

what is all that chatter below the Initials?
    68 would be hard pressed with those hits

that is all on the plastic.

• Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on finding this rare variety. Your persistence paid off.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

knowledge, patience, persistence... a great combination.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations.... I keep telling myself to look for this one.... need to go check my 'stuff'....unlikely that I will have one 'just laying around'...but worth checking....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool find. I have been looking for this one (as well as others that may not be known) for years and have had no luck.

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Pickup Varieties are the Spice Of Life........................

Enjoy Tom

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Td337Td337 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

There's actually another for sale on Great Collections right now... nicer than this example, in my opinion...

Successful transactions with: Outhaul, Saen78, Pocketpiececommems, mapleman, CelinaCoin, tommyrusty7, braddick, greencopper, CommemDude

• Options

well, I cracked the Proof Set case over the weekend in anticipation of needing to dip the coin prior to submitting it. nothing was need, it is pristine as-is with a nice Cameo obverse and weaker reverse, still should grade PR68, perhaps 67+. I mailed it this morning and expect it back the first week of May.

• Options

All our fingers here on the Forum, are crossed for you. Good Luck.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    well, I cracked the Proof Set case over the weekend in anticipation of needing to dip the coin prior to submitting it. nothing was need, it is pristine as-is with a nice Cameo obverse and weaker reverse, still should grade PR68, perhaps 67+. I mailed it this morning and expect it back the first week of May.

Did you use the Quarterly Special Half Price Variety Attribution?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

no, I wasn't aware of it.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some would say the mintmark isn't upside down but rather the whole coin! That's silly in my opinion.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I look at 2-3 thousand Dimes a day trying to find varieties that I need for the Registry sets.

Dude, I hope you go outside this summer to see the Sun...Gee wiz!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    I look at 2-3 thousand Dimes a day trying to find varieties that I need for the Registry sets.

Dude, I hope you go outside this summer to see the Sun...Gee wiz!

The outdoors and sun are way over rated.......how do you expect me to find varieties out there.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

I don't think so, but right now I only have the OP picture to judge it by. IIRC there was nothing that struck me as odd past it just being an inverted MM. we will be able to tell better after grading since I am hooked on the Secure level with the TrueViews.

• Options
    edited May 6, 2017 3:28AM

my submission results posted a short while ago, PCGS graded the coin PR67. I had it TV'd so I'll update with a picture when it's available.

also on the submission was a nice Jefferson Nickel variety I had CherryPicked, 1943/2-P. PCGS was in agreement with me on that one at MS64FS and I'll also post those pictures.

• Options

ttt for the TrueViews.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

The two most beautiful varieties on the forum right now! Did the Kenn. Cameo? Once again, nice coins dude. You did good. ;)

• Options
    edited May 6, 2017 12:01PM

it is a non-Cameo and I think rightfully so, but the obverse is nice enough that I thought if not 68 than 67+. that is the type of stuff that NGC reserves the * for.

even the Nickel is a "stud" but I think 64 is the right grade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file