Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

World Coins from Early America Set

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 12, 2017 3:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

In Early America coins from around the world were the standard medium of exchange, dominated by the Spanish milled coinage of Mexico and Spanish mints in the colonies. I have worked with the PCGS Set Registry team to form a compilation of coins representative of the countries and coinage which played a role in our early nations monetary history. Every so often, a few of the forum members will participate in a longer narrative on each of the issues.

For the set I tried to pick the issues which would be most representative of the circulating coinage of the time across the nations vying for power in the region. Spain, England, France, Portugal and the Netherlands all maintained a hold on territory, trade and influence in Colonial America and are represented in the set.

World Coins Circulating in Early America

The set includes the following, currently at 27 coins, 3 pages of 9 coins in the PCGS Digital Album:

Spanish Milled Silver: 1/2R, 1R, 2R, 4R, and 8R. These coins would have been a staple in every day life with the larger 8R serving in trade and the smaller 1/2R to 2R being common in everyday commerce. The series comes in two major divisions, Pillar style depicting the Pillars of Hercules, and the Portrait style which depicts one of three monarchs, Charles III, Charles IV, and Ferdinand VII. An example of each of the Pillar denominations and one of each denomination of Portrait, from any monarch, is included in the set.

Spanish Milled Gold: The gold of the Spanish Colonial mints largely came from Colombia, Chile and Mexico. Spanish gold was in high demand throughout the world and would have circulated heavily in Colonial America. An example of each denomination is included in the set.

The Spanish 2 Reales or Pistareen: The Spanish 2 Reales, commonly called the pistareen circulated extensively in Colonial America. Paper money was often denominated in pistareens giving weight to its place in Colonial times.

Portuguese/Brazilian 4000R (Moidores) and 6400R: The Portuguese 4000R and 6400R were also commonly circulating gold piece and represent Portugal in the the set.

Netherlands Ducat: The Ducat was a common gold coin used in trade with the Netherlands. It was minted from the 1500's through to present time.

Dutch 1/2 Daalder and Lion Daalder: The New Netherlands colony, present day New York, saw these two dutch denominations freely trade not just in the Dutch colony but throughout the region with hoards found in Maine and dug examples as far south as Maryland.

French Sou Marques: A billon coin (25% silver, 75% copper) were struck in France for the colonies in Canada to alleviate the shortage of circulating coinage. Examples of this issue frequently circulated in Canada and New England.

French Louis D'Or: The standard gold coin from France and certainly present in Colonial America. The wreck of the Le Chameau has special place in colonial times with the sinking of the ship in 1725 and eventual recovery in 1965.

French Ecu: This crown sized coin would have been the French comparable to the Pillar dollar or Lion Daalder in trade.

1749 British Farthing and Halfpenny: While farthings and halfpennies of various dates would have circulated in Colonial times, the 1749 date is special. In 1749 a large shipment of farthings and halfpennies, equal to roughly 1/3rd of the mintage, arrived in Boston on the ship the Mermaid in payment to colonists for the Lewisburg expedition of Cape Breton Island. They are the only dated issues officially authorized by the crown to circulate in America.

British Guinea: Like the Ducat and Louis D'Or, the British Guinea was the representative gold coin from Britain.

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beautiful lion daalder with exceptional detail (I would expect no less from the MLC collection!).

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bravo! Thank you Boosibri...your efforts to create this PCGS Registry Set are to be commended. It was long overdue. I look forward to seeing more of your posts in this thread. And you've inspired me to renew my own collecting efforts in this area.

And thank you Kaz for your comment. :smile:

• Options

@MidLifeCrisis said:
    Bravo! Thank you Boosibri...your efforts to create this PCGS Registry Set are to be commended. It was long overdue. I look forward to seeing more of your posts in this thread. And you've inspired me to renew my own collecting efforts in this area.

And thank you Kaz for your comment. :smile:

Well your collection inspired me to start collecting in this area!.

How about penning the post on one of the issues? I know the least about the French pieces if you want to have a go?

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    How about penning the post on one of the issues? I know the least about the French pieces if you want to have a go?

Sure!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is just awesome Brian. MLC has gotten me to add a piece or two in this genre. Curse you Mark!!!!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work on getting this registry up and going with PCGS, Brian. Great writeup on the Le Chameau wreck by MLC. I look forward to reading informative posts in this thread in the future. Well done, gentlemen!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread and history of the shipwreck..... These coins certainly are an important part of our history. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure why but that Lion makes me think of the Wizard of Oz :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread! I really enjoy the education and seeing these beautiful coins ... look forward to more. Thanks for sharing them with us!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Good idea!

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting - thanks for sharing!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Not sure why but that Lion makes me think of the Wizard of Oz :smile:

Now this is OT and not pertinent to the pictured specimen, but your dang post made me think of the "Whizzer of Oz."
    Okay, flame me now. >:)

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread. Thanks for the write up MidLifeCrisis :)

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was there any consideration for including a 1758 British shilling and a 1758 6d? I am note sure if the research supports inclusion or not... I do believe both denominations were struck in a large quantity and beyond 1758.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited February 13, 2017 3:09PM

@coinkat said:
    Was there any consideration for including a 1758 British shilling and a 1758 6d? I am note sure if the research supports inclusion or not... I do believe both denominations were struck in a large quantity and beyond 1758.

I did consider if the set needed some British silver but didn't specifically consider the 1758. Is there special significance for 1758 dated shillings and 6p's?

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe both denominations were struck in the large quantities extending well after 1758. It was the last date for George II coinage. I believe these two denominations circulated in NA. I suppose that you could consider a just a 6d and a shilling from any reign though.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2018 5:01AM

Thanks for the great history lesson.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2017 2:35PM

The Spanish 2 reales or pistareen is well deserving of a place in any set of Colonial American coins. These coins from main land Spain circulated freely in the colonies, arriving originally in the 1720’s in the tobacco colonies and reaching widespread circulation in other parts of Colonial America and the West Indies.

The Spanish pistareen differed from its colonial cousin in both design and weight. The design of the pistareen features the cross and shield with the shield featuring the Bourbon crest. Roller mills first introduced in Segovia using German technology produced coins with a slight curve from the roller dies. Unadulterated specimens today have a rolled shape although many today have been flatted out of ignorance. If you are looking to add a pistareen to your collection be sure to find one with a demonstrable “rolled” appearance.

As wars were waged the crown came under financial pressure and debased the currency in 1707. The pillar style coins were minted in the colonies partially for international trade. As foreign traders would have resisted the debased silver, the colonial milled coins remained with 20% more silver than their main land counterparts. This difference in relative value made the pistareen a real working coin which would have circulated with common people as a part of everyday commerce.

Get yourself a real colonial and buy a pistareen!

BB's Coin

MLC's Coin

Pistareen denominated paper money - from JK Americana

Table of exchange from early American

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2017 2:51PM

Well done!
    It might be fun to ride along. :)

• Options

@RYK said:
    Well done!

How about a new set for you Dr. K

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@RYK said:
    Well done!

It might be just what the Vagabond Doctor ordered!

• Options

@RYK said:

@Boosibri said:

@RYK said:
    Well done!

It might be just what the Vagabond Doctor ordered!

I see a new set has surfaced in the registry...The Vagabond Collection

• Options

Bump so MLC can find the thread (which is woefully inactive) when he posts on the 1749 British Farthing and Halfpenny tonight.

• Options

Good one MLC!

• Options

I am a little surprised that the 1749's have not garnered more attention in recent years as they are now included in the Redbook. Examples in AU and below are frequently encountered however if you can find a nice MS example it is really a scarce coin.

Living in England I look for examples at every show and to date I have bought two farthings, the one in my collection pictured above and another of roughly equal quality. I have yet to see a halfpenny anywhere near as nice as MLC's coin. The halfpenny is clearly the more difficult of the two denominations in my opinion.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boosibri, you are to be commended. You've done something good. I admire you and your effort. Thank you.

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I concur with the sentiments of others. Combining history with coins adds meaning to both.

• Options

A new addition to my WCIEA set. @Cardinal has come in strongly into the Registry!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the stylized 0 and 6 in the date.

• Options
    musstangrmusstangr Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

Wasn't around these boards when this post was started. The gold French Louis D'Or piece above is just stunning!

Great thread. Will be focusing some attention to this area.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post! Love reading the history and looking at some beauties!

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

We need to resurrect this thread! It is fabulous!

• Options
    edited July 30, 2019 5:26PM

@MattTheRiley said:

I agree. Boosibris's early American foreign coin collection Is wonderful. Not just the coins themselves but the history behind them. Maybe he's moved on to other interests. But.......if you're not a buyer but just someone like me who likes to look at these coins, you can get your fix at Coin Rarities Online. That's what I do. Also, the guy who runs the place, John Ange, is top notch. Only bought one coin from him and it's a beauty. Cheap too.

P.S. I must add this. The one coin that I purchased from CRO was not expensive. But, it was top QUALITY for the grade. To me that is important. "CHEAP" was a bad word choice on my part.

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant John at CRO is indeed one of the "good guys" in the business.

@Boosibri I am glad this thread popped back up! Fabulous coins.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@MattTheRiley said:

I agree. Boosibris's early American foreign coin collection Is wonderful. Not just the coins themselves but the history behind them. Maybe he's moved on to other interests. But.......if you're not a buyer but just someone like me who likes to look at these coins, you can get your fix at Coin Rarities Online. That's what I do. Also, the guy who runs the place, John Ange, is top notch. Only bought one coin from him and it's a beauty. Cheap too.

P.S. I must add this. The one coin that I purchased from CRO was not expensive. But, it was top QUALITY for the grade. To me that is important. "CHEAP" was a bad word choice on my part.

SO WHAT WAS THE COIN ?

SHOW A PICTURE ....

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2019 7:14PM

The coin was a very common 1836 Capped Bust half. I don't know how to post pictures. And don't care to. It is an XF-45. I have many in higher grades but that one is my favorite. QUALITY....QUALITY....QUALITY!!!! After I bought it, the previous owner sent me a PM about it.. He was,I think, sorry to give it up. Something to think about boys and girls.......QUALITY trumps grade.
    EVERY TIME. ALL THE TIME

• Options

Glad that there is interest in this thread!

I have not moved away from the set but am patiently waiting for a few specific examples to fill the wholes in the non-Spanish part of the set.

For the Guinea, Ducat and Portuguese I plan to add coins dated from 1776 to add to the appeal of the set.

For the Ecu I need a really choice 1725-H Ecu which is the type from New Rochelle represented in the Le Chameau wreck

Here is an upgrade to my 1/2R which stands as the best I have ever seen and tied for finest graded with another piece I owned.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun thread and great stuff

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brian your a patient buyer and it shows .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

SHAZAM! on that 1/2 R!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sort of working on this set, too. Looking forward to posting my pics of the Ecu I bought to fill that slot.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2019 8:16PM

@Boosibri Dose my gold escudo from Madrid count as a early America coin because it might have circulated in the U.S. even though it was minted not in South or Central America?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file