Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

News about Collective Coin

There's a thread over on the liteside about it, but in a nutshell Collective Coin has been purchased by Stacks.https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/975946/collectivecoin-acquired-by-stack-s-bowers-galleries#latest

It's a great place to put together photos and have a bit of photo hosting done--waaayyyy better than photobucket.

I figure the best thing that happens is we get to continue with a relatively unmolested website (I'm guessing ads will be added and perhaps the 'for sale' functionality will be removed). Maybe there will be a forum or a tweaking to the comments. Hopefully the file size and overall clean design and easy functionality will remain the same.

It's funny, I mentioned CC in a post ATS and got a mild rebuke (and an edited post) and the reason was that I was mentioning a competitor. As I was thinking of CC as just a photohost I was a bit puzzled. Now, perhaps, this is why--if CC adds forums or even a combined registry that might make it a bit more of a problem now that the US registry people are no longer able to add new PCGS slabs to their sets over there.

The worst thing that can happen is the site gets ruined...which is no worse than it getting shut down entirely. But I'm going to remain optimistic that Stacks will treat it well.

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2017 12:43AM

Courtesy post. Collective Coin anybody ? :)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

I enjoy that site very much, a great way to catalog your coins with images. There are a few sites with which you are able to catalogue your coins, but CC is the only one I know of that allows you to upload your own photos rather than having a simple spreadsheet or something similar.

"A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money." - W. C. Fields
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2017 7:31PM

I'm giving it a try. Here's a post of a photo that is now hosted at CC.

and the same photo from photobucket

hmmmm. I'm not sure how to post it so you can see the full sized image at CC.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2017 7:37PM

Clicking on the photos above takes us to the hosted site.

The CC one is much nicer! That link goes to the full page version.

Clicking on the photobucket gets us to your photobucket album--expanding the picture now shows the limitations of the file size and resolution allowed there. And clicking on THAT picture moved me through the album it was in rather than a bigger shot.

edited to add: even by zooming in on this page you can see the resolution difference.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2017 7:43PM

@Stork, thanks that was what I was looking for but I had to refresh my page here to get the redirection to work, although I would prefer if the larger sized image could be available here, rather than taking me to another site.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you upload it directly here then the click will enlarge it. I like having a alternative hosting site so things can get posted elsewhere and/or be organized.

Plus I keep waiting for PCGS to wake up and realize there is no file restriction (or at least not one I've bumped up on) and start imposing a sensible limit. Who needs sensible?

In all seriousness, whatever resolution Photobucket limits generally is fit for a message board, but not any larger. On my tablet both of the pictures look very nice with only a tiny edge to the CC one to my eye. But any kind of zoom in exposes the limitation on Photobucket immediately.

On my dog social site (greyhound people are weird) one poor person had used Photobucket as her primary photo storage and whe she got fed up with their ads and moved them she discovered how the shots had been reduced...and her originals had been lost. Very upset only begins to describe how she felt.

Lovely coin btw.