Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CollectiveCoin acquired by Stack’s Bowers Galleries

KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got an email from CollectiveCoin:

"Dear Collectivecoin members,

I'm thrilled to announce that Stack’s Bowers Galleries has agreed to acquire Collectivecoin. With their significant resources and expertise, our little community is now poised to become a major destination for collectors on the internet. Expect big things.

In the meantime, I will continue to be involved in the site and everything on Collectivecoin will continue to look and function as you've come to expect, with simple image upload, clean display, and no clutter.

Thanks once again for being members"

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

Comments

• Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

I just read this e-mail and was thrilled...great news. If you don't use Collectivecoin, you really should give it a shot.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

excellent news!

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Chess move by Stacks!

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

CascadeChris: I am just curious why you believe this was a "great Chess move by Stacks"?

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2017 10:05PM

Great outcome for CollectiveCoin! Congrats!

Can't wait to see the new, big additions

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2017 9:45PM

Wonderful!

In light of some recent, disappointing changes to PCGS's inventory software I'm delighted collectivecoin will endure.

Now collectivecoin, fix the upload link for the CU forum so it's easy for users to post images.
    Lance.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    CascadeChris: I am just curious why you believe this was a "great Chess move by Stacks"?

Wondercoin

It depends on what they plan on doing with it I guess but there are so many possibilities I can see it being a great addition to their portfolio. That said, I really wish they would update their auction platform software next. I hope that's in the works.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish you luck. Hopefully stacks won't decide to "fix" your site like they did with their own :'(

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully Stacks Bowers web designers and IT professionals will keep their hands off of the website design especially given the way that Stacks administered its own site in the past (e.g. the numerous glitches).

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to SB on their decision to acquire CC site. I really enjoy posting coins on that site that allows me to share my coins with others very safely. More importantly, i can see SB leverage CC to enhance a collectors enjoyment of this wonderful hobby. I only see great improvements in the future. Congrats to all involved!

Easton Collection
  • Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I'll take the opposite view. Teletrade used to be great. SB like it die on the vine.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was happy to read that...the other option was letting the site die. If Stacks takes it over the site will hopefully remain relatively unmolested. If not, well that's no worse off than the site dying on it's own. I'm going to remain optimistic that Stacks will do right by it. Who knows, maybe they will start a combined registry over there :wink :):D.

Anyway, I'd guess there might be an ad banner added, and Stacks will have my registration information...which they have already. I can live with those two things. Well, that and they might remove the buy/sell options...

If anyone needs to look at a place for a photo host they should give it a try. I've neglected my albums over there waiting for word on the outcome. It will be good to update everything.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I am wondering what Stacks plans to do with the website.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acquisitions such as this... in my experience... seldom bode well for the acquired....Will wait and see. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Wonderful!

In light of some recent, disappointing changes to PCGS's inventory software I'm delighted collectivecoin will endure.

Now collectivecoin, fix the upload link for the CU forum so it's easy for users to post images.
    Lance.

I don't know why so many people are having issues with this. All you have to do is either drag and drop the picture into the text bubble with the "insert an image" doohickey open, or insert the file by browsing and selecting it. What is happening fot you all ?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KellenCoin said:
    I am wondering what Stacks plans to do with the website.

I know what ....I... would do with it.
    I'd tweak it a bit and add an auction software (they're out there even in turnkey if no talented IT guy is around.)

I'd use my SB imprimatur to add some validity and trust and create a MULTITUDE of "collector" websites.
    Many users already do that, but not in a well integrated manner.

There IS.... a hole for a ....COIN....ebay. Oh yep there sure is.
    With any NUMISMATIC input, such a listing tool ...could....be invaluable.

But I ain't them.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the meantime, I will continue to be involved in the site and everything on Collectivecoin will continue to look and function as you've come to expect, with simple image upload, clean display, and no clutter.

I hope that part is true. Stacks sure did F-up Teletrade pretty good -- I'm guessing Collectivecoin will be plastered with their advertising and will fall flat on it's face if the IT folks who "updated" the Stacks website have any involvement. :anguished:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, whatever happens, it's better than LOSING it entirely.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone. I'm really excited to have CollectiveCoin on firm footing again. Our plan is to have the site grow up a bit, without changing any of the good stuff.
    And as this thread proves, I'm sure you all will let us know how it's going :)

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great news, very easy to use for storing my coin photos.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 9:17PM

@elmiracoin said:
    SB needs IT/web help - - their website and auction venue are from the stone age.

I predict SB's IT department will alter the website within a year and destroy its functionality to the point that the site does die off.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2017 9:15AM

Good news.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 1:24AM

@cameonut2011 said:

@elmiracoin said:
    SB needs IT/web help - - their website and auction venue are from the stone age.

I predict SB's IT department will alter the website within a year and destroy its functionality to the point that the site does die off.

2023 update: Dunno if that's what happened, but the site does now appear to be dead. It was unaltered and operational until recently. But it had gotten increasingly slower over the last year or so.

Too bad. It was a nice site. I guess S-B never did anything with it?

Happily, I migrated my collection to Colleconline, a while ago. It's a nice French site which offers more than CollectiveCoin ever did.

But still, I miss CollectiveCoin- and I just lost a lot of my older coin photos. Google image searches still reveal them, but I can't open them through the site itself.

Moral of the story- if you're archiving and inventorying your collection online, be sure to do so on at least two sites, so that if one goes belly-up, you've got a lifeboat. I learned this a long time ago. Now that we're in the era of cloud drives, I guess I'll use Colleconline with OneDrive as my backup.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a semi-recent thread on collectivecoin and SB replied. Here is the link to the SB reply. I don't use it and know nothing about any status.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13467286/#Comment_13467286

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:

There is a semi-recent thread on collectivecoin and SB replied. Here is the link to the SB reply. I don't use it and know nothing about any status.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13467286/#Comment_13467286

Thanks.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file