Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Picked this one up in the Legend Sale.

WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 3, 2017 8:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

There were sure some beautiful originals in that sale. I am now, officially, 90.77% complete with my MS Walker full set.

Comments and thoughts are always welcome.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Comments

• Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious WF, would you have purchased had the obverse looked like the reverse? Not that there's anything wrong with the reverse. That strike for an S mint is quite strong too.

• Options

@cmanbb said:
    Curious WF, would you have purchased had the obverse looked like the reverse? Not that there's anything wrong with the reverse. That strike for an S mint is quite strong too.

Probably. Why do you ask?

• Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just curious. So many white Walkers out there is all

• Options

@cmanbb said:
    Just curious. So many white Walkers out there is all

Yes, there was a different coin (a 66 +) that I was also looking at that had neither the color nor the strike of this piece, so I chose this one. I got this one for less $$$, too.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    This may have been an "end of roll" coin. I was reading so collector history the other day, (I believe it was in COINage magazine), and I was surprised to learn the roll market had been around years prior to boom it enjoyed from the late fifties to the mid sixties. Dealers acquired rolls of new coins from various banking sources and had them around for years to sell to customers as the demand developed.

Given that this is true, given proper storage at lot of those "white Walkers" are probably original and not dipped.

Bill, I agree. This one looks similar to my 1945-D NGC 66*, as it is bright white on the reverse and colored on the obverse. Both coins have great luster on both sides. I think that they are both end roll toners.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought was end roll toner too, unless it were stored by itself face up in or on something that was inert and airtight. Not sure I like the mismatch or not, but it could probably grow on me. The luster on the reverse has that ultra cake frosting look to it - wow!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

love the obverse toning! :)
    Also the Ultra frosty reverse gives it a really nice contrast!
    Over all... I love it!

• Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

You've added another great one to your collection, congrats.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the end of the roll theory.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That reverse is great... Of course, I would prefer the obverse the same... ;) I really like frosty Walkers.. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin WF!!!

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

The reverse is great, the toning on the obverse is not my favorite, but still a great coin!

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options

Thanks, everyone. For those of you who were wondering---The coin is a PCGS MS 66 CAC. The strike is about as bold as it gets for a 1937-S and I love the rose tone with the little bit on tangerine along the edge. Looks very original to me with strong luster on both sides. Just maybe a few tiny wispy abrasions, in the right field, but very minor. I absolutely love the coin and I have it in hand, now. With that kind of color; I had no idea what it would bring and I was very satisfied. :)

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2017 2:34PM

@BillJones said:
    This may have been an "end of roll" coin. I was reading so collector history the other day, (I believe it was in COINage magazine), and I was surprised to learn the roll market had been around years prior to boom it enjoyed from the late fifties to the mid sixties. Dealers acquired rolls of new coins from various banking sources and had them around for years to sell to customers as the demand developed.

Given that this is true, given proper storage at lot of those "white Walkers" are probably original and not dipped.

The ones I just got had been held by my grandfather for well over 50 years and I'm old! Lol
    He had many uncirculated rolls and bags and some already slabbed/ gridded.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file