Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cool Old Rainbow Morgan in an ANACS Photo Cert "Slab"

So here is an Ebay purchase that arrived today that I am super excited about (apologies for the cell phone pics). My wife is usually pretty supportive on the numismatic front, but when I explained to her the history of coin grading and why I though this was so cool she just said "nope, too dorky". Fair enough, but I still think it is awesome. I love how the toning pattern is so distinctive and matches the old b&w photo cert perfectly. Kind of a tougher date to find with nice color too.

Anyone else have any cool old photo certs with coins and old Capital slab-esque holders? I have one other toned merc in a similar Capital holder, and I regrettably sold a really nice reverse toned Morgan in a holder exactly like this one many years ago.

Comments

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

DrewU from the Gainesville, FL area? If so, check your PM's...

Oh, sweet Morgan!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, and I don't like Morgans

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup. Color looks stable. B)

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

So your the dirty rat who won that? My snipe was set at a level that was supposed to knock everyone out. I was wrong. Seeing the coin in better light is cool. Glad you like it and glad someone here won. I still have 150 or so of these.

Cheers!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice and love those old holders.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just couldn't help my self, I had to look on e-bay to see what you got it for. I think you got a pretty good deal on it, of course the sellers pics did not do any justice at all for the true beauty of the coin either. Congrats!!

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sweet Morgan/holder combo. Nice colors

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice acquisition.. those old holders are unique.... I think I will watch for one of them.. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin and holder, VERY cool! :)

• Options
    WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

That is a completely awesome set of toned Morgan and historical holder. The coin is history, the holder is history.

Split graded with the picture, not to dorky, to cool.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

That is a really cool coin! I also like how the coin is registered to a coin company, not a specific person. That would be an interesting collecting specialty: ANACS Photo Slabs registered to companies.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2017 1:50PM

I once had a coin in one of those old holders. Actually it may still be around somewhere. The problem with them though is they take up so much space they are difficult to store.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a Capital Plastics holder and is an aftermarket thing. I do not believe ANACS offered them. It is still a very cool item - will the coin go 66 or 67 ?

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

You made a nice buy. The eBay photos did not do the coin justice. The MS 65 grade does seem a little generous.

• Options

Cool color and cool holder :)
    Nice catch !

• Rainbowlover1
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

now that is a awesome holder.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was still there then. Wonder if I was one of the people that graded it?
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing these in plastic wallets with a pocket flip to hold the coin.....reminds one of an old 60's song by Mary Hopkin:

"Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.....
    A 65 was truly a great gem
    We'd rarely find one then
    But now today there's 10
    Those were the days, oh yes those were the days"

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a peace dollar years ago in this type of Anacs holder. I think I sold it to a board member. They have an obverse grade and reverse grade. That Morgan is gorgeous.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2017 8:35AM

1984/1985 was a generally sloppy time for grading in the coin market. I think ANACS got stricter into the 1986-1989 period to match PCGS/NGC. Everything with any appeal and MS63+ or better was getting called gem again (similar to 1979-early 1980). That sloppiness led to the FTC showing up and the creation of PCGS. Rare Coin Galleries of America? Sounds like RARCOA but it's not. More like a coin factory of that period. Don't ever recall following them, and I read every page of Coin World back then with a fine tooth comb.

I'd be surprised if that coin went 65 today....but maybe with a color bump it will. Very nice eye appeal. It comes down to what hairlines are on the plastic and which are on the coin. And a touch of proof that toner Morgans did indeed exist 30 years ago.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Very Nice Morgan.
    I too do like those old ANACS photo certs, and I do collect them with the coin, when I can find them.

Bob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file