Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fugio Cent Help - Early copper pros, interested folks

I'm looking with interest at this Fugio because I'd like to own one that has some detail and is relatively inexpensive. Does this eBay listing raise any red flags or comments? Thanks in advance for your advice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201792672083?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2017 12:54PM

I am no expert when it comes to these coins, but for a low grade example, this one looks to be quite nice. It has smooth, brown surfaces, which is a big plus. Many of these pieces are dark and rough, especially in low grade. I think that the variety is Newman 14-O, but don't take that to the bank. The 14-O is rated as an R-4.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Bill has an excellent point about dark and rough Fugios. But maybe the photo has been lightened?

It has a nice "WE ARE ONE" but I think "MIND YOUR BUSINESS" is important to have on a Fugio.

But you know it's there, so if you like it and the price is right at the end, I'd say go for it.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Looking on eBay most are a lot crappier than the one you've shown.

You might want to check this one out. It's damaged, but does have nice detail.

• Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Billjones, TopogaphicOceans,

Thank you for your input - much appreciated !

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Bill. That Fugio looks very nice. That makes me suspicious. For a coin this worn to look this good and with color this nice would be unusual to say the least. The only think that bothers me is that it looks slightly out-of-round, but not badly so, and it looks real to me. So, who knows, take a chance.

Tom

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is worth taking a chance on..... I see it sold already..... Hope you got it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭

a gamble sometimes is what it is. I've hit home runs and struck out as well.

Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Thanks all - I passed. The seller has never sold a coin before and most items sold by this seller were under $10 videos. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but for a raw Fugio I'd prefer to buy from an established dealer or known collector. Might have missed out on a good thing, but in the end something about it "didn't feel right". I hope it turns out well for the purchaser. Oh well, "there is always another coin".

Again, thanks for the opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file