Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The 17th time is the charm!

joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are 16x this 1945-d 1c was submitted and got a ms67+ most interestingly being that the total population for the grade is 17.

Finally made the ms68 grade! congrats!

pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/2737

may the fonz be with you...always...

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2017 10:14AM

Hopefully our hosts will fix the CoinFacts pictures and the 67+ pops. Big payday for someone looking to sell to a registry point buyer, I guess.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

From a $200. dollar coin to a fifteen thousand dollar coin. I've got some rolls that need cherrypcking. Anyone here good at that who would like a percentage?

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're assuming it was graded 17 times just because of the CoinFacts photos... but I would guess it was graded more times than that and just didn't get a glamour shot every time.

:disappointed:

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2017 10:34AM

....and in other news Salzberg pens new article bashing PCGS for the increase in 45-D 1c MS67+ populations collapsing the value of the issue.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2017 10:55AM

This June 2015 PCGS MS68 auction appearance looks to have more obverse marks. I thought they were different coins at first. But there are similar/identical spots/stains....such as the wood grain toning over the bottom stalk of the right wheat ear. I'm confused. It's Pop 1 on the PCGS report. If it was just made, explain the 2015 auction sale. Did someone crack this out and try again? And took numerous attempts from a 67+ just to get back to "even?" Or could a previous owner have required a CAC sticker so that the coin was downgraded to get one?

https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/1945-d-1c-ms68-red-pcgs/a/1221-3787.s?hdnJumpToLot=1x=0&y=0

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2017 11:52AM

I do not know when the coin made it to ms68. I happen to be on coinfacts looking at the date and noticed that all 3 main photos 68,67+67+ were all the same coin. A little more investigation revealed the picture total and submission minimum. For the record I agree with the 67+ grade but dont think the 68 is that far off.

Reverse is wonderfully clean and perhaps one mark takes away 68 I would think in the right field

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea who submitted this coin, but you have to tip your hat to someone who truly believed they had an MS68RD coin but got rejected 17x or possibly even 25x or 30x and kept slapping down $65 per try to keep regrading it. I've got coins that have not "worked" as I approach attempt #10 or 12, and this is a very inspiration thread! There's always Long Beach in two weeks!!

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Now is the time to go for 68+

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone pays price guide for the 68 they will take a bath. You could have a nice Wreath Cent for that kind of money.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does not look like a nice 68 to me.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2017 3:47PM

Not a fan with the mottled/wood grain toning streaks, a couple stains spots, and a number of cuts and ticks on Mr. Lincoln. Interesting that the cut above the "5" in the date barely shows in the Heritage shots. When that was readily apparent on the CoinFacts 67+ I initially assumed they were different coins.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2017 1:52PM

Yeah...I asked PCGS Customer Service about a similar situation, but not this bad, as far as removing the "excess" submissions that are skewing the population reports and values. The label inserts need to be turned in before any of them are to be removed. Fat chance that happening any time soon.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@roadrunner said:
    Not a fan with the mottled/wood grain toning streaks, a couple stains spots, and a number of cuts and ticks on Mr. Lincoln. Interesting that the cut above the "5" in the date barely shows in the Heritage shots.

I noticed the cut being gone in the heritage photos as well- but as wheat cents go this coin is a borderliner 68 in my book

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2017 10:08PM

The moral of the story...never True View until it is in the "right" holder and then pay to have it reholdered/TrueViewed only once.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

I for one would appreciate keeping all the TrueViews. It's great to see different variations of photos for a great coin.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find these repeated submissions to be an interesting exercise in testing the fabric of grading... not to mention the sometimes incredible windfall when successful. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Hopefully our hosts will fix the CoinFacts pictures and the 67+ pops. Big payday for someone looking to sell to a registry point buyer, I guess.

Fixed.
    Lance.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the Owner will crack it out and try again?

I love them Barber Halves.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file