Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Fun game over morning coffee:

You have 10 "grade points" to spend with your eye, so to speak; what kind of collection can you assemble so that the total of all the cards shown adds up to exactly 10?

Instagram: mattyc_collection

Comments

• travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Dang it. Thought this was a Pearl Jam thread. :/

• totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2017 8:42AM

1952 Topps Mantle PSA 1
    1911 Cobb PSA 1
    1948 Leaf Robinson PSA 1
    T206 Doyle Hands Over Head PSA 3
    T206 Wagner PSA 1
    1914 Baltimore News Ruth PSA 3

• graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Tougher than it looks to get to exactly 10 using your own collection. Here are mine.

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy Cow, gator. Amazing pieces. Finding a nice Goudey Greenberg is so hard. Those are like my dream examples of those three cards. Three rare eye appeal freaks there.

• graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Holy Cow, gator. Amazing pieces. Finding a nice Goudey Greenberg is so hard. Those are like my dream examples of those three cards. Three rare eye appeal freaks there.

Thanks! It should come as no surprise that these three were bought from three respected members of this board, each of whom has a great eye for cards. I hope we get to see some more beauties in this thread.

• CenteredMantlesCenteredMantles Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2017 9:27AM

Sweet stuff so far. The MJ and obviously the Mantle...Dang. This other guys aren't too bad either ;) The Ted/Hank and Jackie are no joke. Goes to show the quality of cards you can pick up regardless of technical grade!

• totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2017 9:29AM

Ohhhh, using yer own collection. I get it now. I thought you just wanted some top notch cards that add up to 10. I can't scan em, so this isn't very exciting, but off the top of my head:

1953 Bowman Mickey Mantle PSA 1
    1954 Topps Ted Williams PSA 1
    1954 Topps Whitey Ford PSA 1.5
    1950 Bowman Otto Graham PSA 1.5
    1953 Topps Warren Spahn PSA 2
    1958 Topps Mickey Mantle All Star PSA 3

Look forward to seeing some other scans! Gator, those are beauties, nice eye appeal!!!

• 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

graygator- Love your cards. I was one minute behind your request when you bought that incredible Jackie. Please contact me when you want to sell that for a huge profit. Unreal

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Great cards in this thread. I too love low grade high eye appeal cards.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread Matty!!! Some great looking low-grade cardboard. Here is what I put together.
    imageimageimageimage

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:

I see what you did there Matt. I will refrain since if I gave the answer it would be cheating. Awesome examples though and can't wait for people to see your answers.

• Feel free to send me that 58 Mantle :)

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

Here is my submission to keep it under 10. Hard to do for sure.

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    edited January 27, 2017 6:30PM

OK, I'll play ... here's my "10". All the backs are clean. Not sure why the '54 looks out of focus a bit. (Edited to add: I guess Keith and I were posting at the same time. My cards seem like 2016 commons compared to his great three!)

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Mantle run, Doug~they present much better than the technical grades.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:
    Very nice Mantle run, Doug~they present much better than the technical grades.

+1 Doug.

The centering on those Mantles is world class - cannot get better than those and what a bargain I'm sure.

• Awesome thread going. Great looking cards.

@KendallCat said:

@DM23HOF said:

I see what you did there Matt. I will refrain since if I gave the answer it would be cheating. Awesome examples though and can't wait for people to see your answers.

Thx homie. Here's how that batch got to 10...

Here are two more low grade "value batches" to make 10...

Batch 1: (The little Joe D gets me every time; I've had to sell 6s and 7s because they couldn't match the 2.5s combo of registration, facial focus, and centering.)

Batch 2:

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2017 10:40AM

If this place had more threads similar to this one, it would start bouncing like a super ball again. Cardboard voyeurism at its finest.

I hate to single out a card, but this MJ stopped me in my tracks. I believe it to be the nicest uno I have ever seen. It's a gem as far as I'm concerned........it just so happens to be missing a zero.

@galaxy27 said:
    If this place had more threads similar to this one, it would start bouncing like a super ball again. Cardboard voyeurism at its finest.

I hate to single out a card, but this MJ stopped me in my tracks. I believe it to be the nicest uno I have ever seen. It's a gem as far as I'm concerned........it just so happens to be missing a zero.

It took me a while to find out why the Jordan PSA 1 was a 1. Had to cheat and ask Matt. What a monster of a card!!

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    It took me a while to find out why the Jordan PSA 1 was a 1. Had to cheat and ask Matt. What a monster of a card!!

pinholes can very much be your friend...

• LargentcollectorLargentcollector Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2017 11:41AM

I'll play, mine don't compare to the cards above this thread is crazy.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Somebody could do 10 authentics and a 10! Best thread of the year! Total price was fantastic for these cards!

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'

@galaxy27 said:

@KendallCat said:

pinholes can very much be your friend...

Of course my cheating was via text about 5-6 days ago - could not find it at first the first time I saw it ;) Perfect place for a pinhole if I ever saw one!

In know it's already been said, but I have said it many times before:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

@Largentcollector said:
    I'll play, mine don't compare to the cards above this thread is crazy.

Wow! Love the Otto card. Focus, colors, and centering for that grade are outstanding!

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

My pride and joy!!

edited January 29, 2017 8:49AM

Man, the cards being shown here are just outstanding. What examples of value and collecting and eye appeal. A real treat to see them.

Thanks re: the MJ, it struck me the same way at first sight; had to have it. Displayed it next to my 10 at the office and knew I had to sell the 10, since from a few feet away they looked the exact same. Got back more loot for cards lol.

Back damage and pinholes and creases only visible from certain angles are a collector's best friends.

Here's another "10"...

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Willie, Mickey, and the Duke.

A couple of common 52s

Naturally I'm taking the two point deduction for the Qualifier on the Bell. BTW the Bell is still probably more valuable than all the others combined.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

Here is my Mantle 10. I remember seeing that MJ and was watching it and for some unknown reason I forgot to put my snipe in. Still kicking myself but knowing who ended up with it I probably would not have won even had I put in my nuclear snipe. MC you landed that card at at very nice price. That is a one of kind card for sure.
    imageimageimageimage

Where does one begin on that Mantle quartet?! I can't even spotlight one because they are all gorgeous. The centering. Wow. That 66 is a pound for pound champ.

• SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did some of those get 1's I'm lost

• bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭

we can tell

• ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

It has been fun looking through everyone's cards! Some beautiful cardboard.

Here are mine. I love the Aaron and Yaz and they are prized. Treating the W551 as a 1 and the Yaz as a 2. The Robinson is creased to hell, but I still the heck out of it. Also, I have other 48 Leafs that are way more valuable than the Overmire, but I chose it because it looks way better than the 1.5 grade...

I LOVE that YAZ Venny. I can picture a little kid back in 1960 in Caracus, Venezuela ... 2,200 miles from Boston ... writing "Segundo Base" on that card.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭

Nice stuff all!

aconte

• 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2017 6:33PM

Great thread!

collecting various PSA and SGC cards

WOW ... can't go wrong with a Babe and two Micks!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Agree with Dboneesq . Great looking cards for the grade.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Awesome thread. It must take a lot of effort to find examples like the ones you guys have. Much easier to just type in "PSA (8,9)...", but a heck of a lot more expensive!

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
    edited January 30, 2017 10:37PM

@esquiresports said:
    It must take a lot of effort to find examples like the ones you guys have. Much easier to just type in "PSA (8,9)...", but a heck of a lot more expensive!

Well said, was just thinking the same thing while unwinding to the amazing cards everyone has shown here. We often see or hear, "Seeking a PSA GRADE X, etc." Yet these cards the guys have posted show there are special, in effect rare specimens that can be found with a deep, broad search for sweet eye appeal.

Great to see Ralph Kiner; will anyone ever repeat Kiner's record of leading the league in HRs for his FIRST several years in the game? He is so tragically slept on. One of the first baseball feats I taught my son about.

Too many special pieces to shout out. Dead centering on the Red Heart Mick. Perfect registration on that Mick RC. And that Yaz, man, what charm on that card. Gotta love cards like that; I have a 64 Mick with some kid's scoring of a game on the back. Shows just such a pure love of the game. The Overmire Leaf has the front of a 7+. The Snider 54B, the Kaline, the Otto and the Reese. That Goudey Simmons. Tone D's 53 Mick— and that Paige. It is a real treat to kick back and see all these hardcore collector cards that transcend their technical grades to such a great extent.

I think I add to 10 with five cards....lol..

It seems most my lower grades are in SGC holders. Not noticeable with the small scan but the red man Parnell
    has a bend and a small crease on the back.

Nice stuff all!

aconte

No creases or wrinkles on the Ruth. I called Heritage and went over the card with them a few times.
    This was from November 2015. Here was part of the description they gave.

"..The grade is a reflection of a surface scuff in the upper right corner on the front and a small amount of adhesive in the lower right on the back.."

• 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭

Good stuff!

collecting various PSA and SGC cards

Aconte, those cards rock!!!

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll do another "10". I like the idea and have really enjoyed looking at all the cards.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Some great looking cardboard guys!

Thanks for the nice words about my Yaz Venz. It is a very special card and can't believe I got it when I did. I love the provenance with the writing. The writing has inadvertently added value to a card, whereas most MK cards detract.

Superbowl weekend 10...

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

I traded for the Barry as a kid in the very early 80's.

The Mikan is special in that it came from the Mikan Estate and is a Pop 2 with only 1 higher.