Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which coin or coins in your collection will never leave your collection for any reason?

zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

The most obvious choice for me would be for sentimental reason. My 2 would be a cc morgan from my grandpa back in the day and the AGE was from mom. Show us yours and tell us why.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

My 8 piece 20th Century Gold Major Design Gold set since I got it pedigreed back in 2002.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my collection, everything has a price.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    In my collection, everything has a price.

In mine, too--it's just that that price is several multiples of what anyone in his right mind would be willing to pay.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

The U.s. coins that I inherited, via my parents (who kept them for me in a safe) from my paternal grandmother. She died in 1983 and collected coins until about 1978.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

My 1946 S Walker in 66+ will never be sold. As it turned out, I purchased it the same day my grandfather died. It reminds me of him and the without him I never would have been introduced to coins.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else not seeing pictures?

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably this:

My favorite darkside coin to date.

01.jpg 50.7K
    02.jpg 52.9K
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably this one as it was my first gold coin bought in 1964 for $50:

United States $20 1927

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2017 11:43AM

Do the undertakers still place pennies (oh sorry, "cents") on the eyes? I guess if buried with you, those would be the only coins to qualify as never leaving one's collection for any reason.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@northcoin said:
    Do the undertakers still place pennies (oh sorry, "cents") on the eyes? I guess if buried with you, those would be the only coins to qualify as never leaving one's collection for any reason.

I believe those were quarters.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the saying goes, "He'd steal the quarters from a dead man's eyes."

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

well a 1943s Steel cent (my mom was born in that year)

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options

The Christmas before my wife passed away she got me 2 GSA uncirculated Morgan dollars. I really hadn't been collecting anything in the years since college, but it's almost as if she sensed I would get back into it, or hope I will. Even though my youngster focus was half dollars, the GSAs will never be sold.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I have several I am very fond of, I don't think there is any I can say I wouldn't sell one day.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

1882 CC Morgan GSA given to me by my father.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1942/1 D Mercury dime I found among the coins my grandfather left me upon his passing. And probably most of the rest of the coins he left me too. They are the core of the collection.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not terribly sentimental and I just sold a huge part of my collection. This one will probably remain with me:

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM
    I would keep that one for ever also. :+1:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the strike on this coin. In hand the coin has some blue toning. I would have a tough time letting this one go even if I sold my entire set.

photo 001_zpsd8pnmuyq.jpg
    photo 010_zps6uhkceyh.jpg

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

My best O mint DE was made 100 years before I was born. Hint I was born the year Ford produced the first Thunderbird.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm very partial to my 16-S, 17 S Obv, 18, 18-S, 19, 19-S, 20-D, 21-D, 23-S, 27-S and 29-D WLHs.

Those are all coins that I'd never replace with anything else.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to think that I will hang on to this one until the bitter end:
    After more than 150 years, there is not another.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

My mom carried a 1921 Morgan in her purse for 65 years. I has worn slick. Her mother gave it to her when she turned 16 so she would always have money to call home etc. It will never be sold.

Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will not be selling any of my coins (stack gold/silver are an exception).... I have some coins from my Dad...those are special.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin I will never sell is a 1955 Franklin half in PCGS MS64. My local coin friend forum member Frank the pug gave it to forum member Dahlonega. After Franks passing forum member Dahlonega gave it to me to remember frank by.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Got this from my grandmother. There are a few others I got from her that I'm hanging on to as well.

>
    Your grandmother had a good eye!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file