Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has Anyone Heard Anything about a Trump Inauguration Medal?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SpkrmakrSpkrmakr Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

@keets said:
    to the best of knowledge Florida STILL uses the punch tickets to vote, or at least they did in the 2012 election, which is unbelievable beyond belief.

can anyone verify that??

No punched votes in Florida over the last 3-elections. "What's his name" was elected 2-times and most recently, President Donald Trump by coloring/filling an oval with a pencil or pen. Seemingly unsophisticated, it cannot be corrupted at the base line by hacking a network. "Unbelievable beyond belief." Really? Seems I detect a element of hostility directed at the great state of Florida. Did your horse lose?

Spkrmakr
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    @northcoin why does inaugural collectibles redirect to some union apparel website?

Checked it. Still goes to the article. Maybe you got a popup ad?

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2017 8:34AM

One might have a wait for the official US Mint President Medal for Donald Trump.

They just issued on January 17, 2017 the two for President Obama's two terms.

In 150 years there might be one like this:

President Millard Fillmore silver round

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2017 10:10PM

Here's a pic of the Trump Inaugural Medal made by Medalcraft Mint along with a link to a video of them being made. Haven't seen them for sale yet, but I would guess that'll come soon. The Presidential medals made by the U.S. Mint will also come, but much later.

nbcnews.com/video/take-a-look-at-trump-s-inauguration-medals-857844803894

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2017 8:20AM

I just seen the email for this, sort of a piggy back on illini420's post, similar, but different;

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2017/01/medalcraft-mint-gets-trump-inaugural-medal-contract.html

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

One might have a wait for the official US Mint President Medal for Donald Trump.

They just issued on January 17, 2017 the two for President Obama's two terms.

The U.S. Mint presidential medals are different from the inaugural medals. The inaugural medals were authorized by the Inaugural Committee and are only issued during the time immediately before and after the event. The U.S. Mint presidential medals are issued for what was once an open ended period, and could have an unlimited mintage. In recent years only very famous or current presidential medals have been offered by the mint.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

@nk1nk said:
    His heads so big they Probably can't find a press big enough.

Kidding aside I would like to see it.

His hands are small enough to fit though.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    It's interesting that the Trump people seem to be ready to do away with a long standing tradition that goes back at least to 1901. The medals almost disappeared in 1921 and '25, but have come back strong since then.

It seems odd that there was never a U.S. Mint Barack Obama presidential medal, but that tradition which went back to the early 1800s is gone too, at least for the moment. A medal could be issued at a later time.

The inaugural medal is another matter. That is a celebration of specific event, and once few months have passed the line will be broken.

Bill, the Obama medals went on sale a few weeks ago.
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/medals/presidential/

• Options
    UMCaneUMCane Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Florida's punch card system was replaced by the legislature in 2007 and touch screen voting was ready state-wide for the 2008 election

"Just because you were born on 3rd base doesn't mean you hit a triple"

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not but will keep my ears open. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@BillJones
    I just got an email from Joe at PCAC offering the Ohio OIM for sale at $60

OFFICIAL TRUMP INAUGURAL MEDAL OF THE OHIO REPUBLICAN PARTY 2013.
    70mm. Bronze. Peer Hansen, Sc. (Medalcraft Mint). Choice Unc. Housed in its original presentation box with wooden stand. Obverse with a high relief front facing bust of President Trump with just a hint of a smile. His name, DONALD J. TRUMP is inscribed above. The reverse legend reads: FORTY-FIFTH PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA INAUGURATED JANUARY 20, 2017 around a representation of the American eagle as it appears on the Presidential Seal. The edge is inscribed MEDALCRAFT MINT at 12:00 and OHIO OIM 2017 at 6:00.
    This medal was commissioned by the Ohio Republican Party. The Trump obverse was chosen from a selection of obverse designs commissioned by Medalcraft for submission to the Official Inaugural Committee as its official medal. However, due to the indecision of the Trump Inaugural Committee, the Ohio party was given its choice of all of the Medalcraft designs. We have seen each of Medalcraft's Trump portraits and, in our opinion, this is the best of the lot. Peer Hansen, who crafted this design was also the responsible for the obverse of the 2013 Obama Official Inaugural Medal.
    About 500 of these medals were struck for distribution to various VIPs attending the inauguration in Washington. Presidential has been authorized to make the undistributed medals available for sale to collectors. We should be able to begin shipping in about a week. Each medal is $60.00 + $7.50 postage and insurance ($1.00 P&I for each additional medal.)

• Options

It is my understanding that Medalcraft Mint has the contract. A design has been chosen(that was in Coinworld).
    But the design is awaiting final approval before minting can begin. I'm going to buy the OHIO medal in case the OIM is never approved ala Harding and Coolidge.
    .....At this point, sales will be dismal. The best opportunity was before and during the Inauguration.
    Of course I'll but a set though if the are approved. Cant have any gaps in the collection!

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:
    The Presidential medals made by the U.S. Mint will also come, but much later.

From what I can tell, the creation and issue date of the Presidential medal is sort of up to the President. While Obama waited until the last year of his second term for both of hims medals, George Bush's first term medal was issued in July 2003.

Similarly, the Secretary of the Treasury has control over the issuance of his/her medal. Geithner canceled his medal (and Mint Director Edmund Moy's).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file