Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC is using a photo of my coin on their census report page. Wow! Make that 3 coins!

ATF CoinsATF Coins Posts: 107 ✭✭
edited January 14, 2017 2:42PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just got my coins back from NGC and when I went to the census report(Check out the 1958 D 50C on the NGC Coin Explorer!) for '58-D Franklin halves, there are photos of my coin that just came back MS-66*FBL. Shouldn't I be getting some royalty fees for that? At least I got a free professional photo of the coin.

Here's the dime

Here's the quarter

After the Flood Coins - Specializing in rainbow toned coins of all denominations. Formerly Chameleon Coins.

Successful deals with greencopper, Al21, AUandAG, wondercoin, KellenCoin, and you next.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool!

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

" Shouldn't I be getting some royalty fees for that?"

Did you read the contract that you agreed to?

• Options

No I did not. That's ok though. I got free photos of the coin and now I am the owner of a semi-famous coin.

After the Flood Coins - Specializing in rainbow toned coins of all denominations. Formerly Chameleon Coins.

Successful deals with greencopper, Al21, AUandAG, wondercoin, KellenCoin, and you next.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice frankie

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ATF Coins said:
    I just got my coins back from NGC and when I went to the census report(Check out the 1958 D 50C on the NGC Coin Explorer!) for '58-D Franklin halves, there are photos of my coin that just came back MS-66*FBL. Shouldn't I be getting some royalty fees for that? At least I got a free professional photo of the coin.

No royalty fees. The person (or corporation) taking the photograph owns the copyright to use the photos.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2017 8:00PM

7-8 years ago I got a 1911-D $2 1/2 Indian graded with pcgs, and did not request pictures. After getting it graded, I went to check the value, and there my coin was, showing on the value page. I was thrilled.

• Options

@jwitten said:
    7-8 years ago I got a 1911-D graded with pcgs, and did not request pictures. After getting it graded, I went to check the value, and there my coin was, showing on the value page. I was thrilled.

Exact same thing here.

• Options
    TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

Shouldn't this be on NGC forum?

• Options
    TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

@ATF Coins said:

@Traz said:
    Shouldn't this be on NGC forum?

It's a US coin.so it's on the US coin forum.

Well like posted above: read the contract.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

You don't own the copyright, NGC does.
    Nice coin BTW

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2017 10:15PM

Forget about the photo .. why not submit for a cross with PCGS? Nice color

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2017 10:36PM

Nice Frankie! Your coin is now a celebrity!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin.
    It's fine on this forum as you aren't bashing, nor promoting, another TPGS. Doesn't matter what plastic the coin is in when it comes to just enjoying it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    Nice coin.
    It's fine on this forum as you aren't bashing, nor promoting, another TPGS. Doesn't matter what plastic the coin is in when it comes to just enjoying it.

Be nice if the registry worked like that.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TopographicOceans said:
    You don't own the copyright, NGC does.
    Nice coin BTW

True, NGC owns the copyright to the photo, but you can not use a photo of personal property for commercial use without the permission of the property owner, thus the contract.

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭

Very nice toned Frankie. Congrats.

Mike

• Options

• Options

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin is now famous like a star with the paparazzi snapping pics!

A lot of condition census and attractively toned coins end up selected for that. An in start dealer had that happen with some Bust and Seated H10c coins.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ATF Coins ...Well done..... very nice coins and great for your collection.... and bragging rights... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file