Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Shootings at Ft Lauderdale airport

Hopefully none of our members were arriving today via plane!

Comments

• Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

9 shot , 3 dead

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saw this myself...sad.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this and one of my first thoughts was the FUN show. Horrible news

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

that indeed is very sad news. the shooter is in custody already. we shall see what happens from there on what theyll do with him/her

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really sad

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Terrible. Prayers to the victims.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun show was my first thought too. It's a tragedy that's for sure. So sad.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 dead and I'm hearing of a possible second incident ??

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Laura is trapped at the airport - she was arriving just as everything went down. . I doubt there will be flights anytime soon

• Options

More shots just fired. It's crazy out there man!!!!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Wow crazy world we live in !

• Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

Flights all cancelled, hitting up friends to spend another night

• Options

Now they're not sure if more shots were fired. Chaos

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad Laura is safe!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

And our fellow dealers / collectors

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Makes you wonder WTH is wrong with people.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2017 8:10AM

Hopefully harmless people of which numismatic collectors are, avoided any exposure. These random acts of senseless violence are truly horrific to those who are affected. Too bad there wasn't someone there to take him down so the "garbage" criminal would have been take out like trash. A long drawn out legal spectre here for the "mentally ill".

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible news, hope the wounded all recover.

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Wow! I was in terminal C at 1 PM when the shootings occurred at baggage claim in terminal B. It was so quiet in my terminal that I wouldn't have known anything if a friend didn't text me. My flight took off without incident. Sorry to hear about Laura's being stranded. Horrible news with five dead.`

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dealer was on his way to the airport to come home. Sounds like he is staying in Florida for a bit.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

The world is crazy.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is wrong with people

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would love to hear it as a special report hot topic

Unfortunately, even if she wanted to write about it, the text wouldn't be here.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was scheduled to fly out of FtL late this aft. Rerouted to Miami before leaving the show.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad to see folks lose their lives and get injured in this way... hope none from the FUN show were affected!

That shouldn't be the case with respect to any dealers though as the show runs through Sunday... shouldn't be any dealers leaving already on Friday, right? ;)

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite a furor at the show, as you can imagine. Rumors were abundant (e.g., the second shooter), and lots of people were getting phone calls from worried families at home.

Apparently, the shooter was psychotic, and this was a s*** happens event.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Laura is trapped at the airport - she was arriving just as everything went down. . I doubt there will be flights anytime soon

I'm glad she is okay.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes , happy that Laura is okay. We were just emailing each other last weekend about the 220K miles she flies annually.

I

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Past history tells me he should have been on a ...
    No fly status.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can walk into any baggage claim area in any airport right off of the street

I'm not sure what Airport you're talking about, but at CLE I can't even drop off my girlfriend at the parking lot/terminal let alone get inside without a ticket or confirmation. also, what I have read refutes your claim that he reloaded and started to fire again --- reports said he fired till his weapon was empty, set it on the floor and then laid down.

many people get stuck on the Second Amendment and fail to understand that our Constitution is in essence a Living and Breathing document which was intended to be changed. the precedent is already there for change as demonstrated by the 18th and 21st Amendments. by no means should the 2nd Amendment be repealed, but the Federal Government is making a mistake if they feel that States should regulate firearms. that is failing as we watch.

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

@keets said:
    You can walk into any baggage claim area in any airport right off of the street

I'm not sure what Airport you're talking about, but at CLE I can't even drop off my girlfriend at the parking lot/terminal let alone get inside without a ticket or confirmation.

I travel extensivly domestically and internationally. Have not been to CLE in a long time, but every airport I have been to the above is true: "You can walk into any baggage claim area in any airport right off of the street"

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

At every airport I have been at in recent years anybody can walk in to where the fliers leave security to pick up their baggage. Also, there are the ticketing/check in/bag drop areas that anybody can go to before they have to pass through security.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently took and passed a carry permit class. I still struggle with the theory that more guns equals less gun violence. I'm not aware of any place in the world where this is true.

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Restrictions...living...breathing...whatever.
    I know I would feel safer if I could carry unrestricted.
    Just getting tired of, "thoughts and prayers to the family...".
    (also interfering with a coin show)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes anybody can walk into arrivals/baggage claim right from the street at every airport I've ever flown. Security/TSA is at departures and you need to be a ticketed passenger at that point

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    At every airport I have been at in recent years anybody can walk in to where the fliers leave security to pick up their baggage. Also, there are the ticketing/check in/bag drop areas that anybody can go to before they have to pass through security.

^^^^Agree, all of the mid-sized and large airports I frequent do not require any screens unless you are entering a terminal.

Sad to see innocent people killed by someone with a mental health disorder who tried to get help. That is 100% what is broken with our system. These are not sane people and if they don't have the ability to use a firearm, they will use a truck, knife, or other improvised device instead.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not taking off my shoes and waiting in line outside in the snow to get into an airport. Gotta draw the line somewhere. The further back it is drawn the further back it will need to be drawn until one day it is inside your front door. My sympathies to all that suffered, but you ain't gonna stop craziness.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2017 11:33AM

Glad there are no reports of harm to our fellow coinenites.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I have been reading the News this morning and thinking that if it is accurate, this is the result of a severely broken system which allowed the un-thinkable to happen.

the shooter certainly had problems, but he voluntarily turned himself in to the FBI back in November and agreed to go to an institution for help. he reportedly told the FBI he had been hearing voices and that the CIA was directing him to watch ISIS videos. add all that to a ridiculous Federal Regulation which allows a passenger to check an unloaded gun through baggage and also ammunition.

he simply followed guidelines, retrieved his bag, loaded the gun and started to shoot.

I am a gun owner myself and realize there are plenty of others at this site. it is time to get past the phobia that our Uncle wants to take away our guns. some serious type of regulation is needed or else this type of thing will continue.

and now this thread has become political. It needs killing for violating the rules.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

To get off the political stuff and get you up close and personal - I'm sitting in the Fort Lauderdale Airport right now trying to get out of town. TSA PreCheck is wonderful because the regular security line is a mile long while I zipped through PreCheck in two minutes. Needless to say, the airport is an absolute zoo with every seat at every gate occupied and loads of people sprawled all over the floor. My Delta flight is now scheduled to leave in an hour - we'll see.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2017 1:28PM

@ricko said:
    A delusional individual and information indicates this could have been prevented last year when he went for help. RickO

1) very important - let's not get into politics

There are virtually no long-term in-patient institutions for the "mentally troubled" (from long-term non-insane to full blown insane). Sure, the guy that shot Reagan, John Hinckley, was in an institution. But these are extremely few and very, very, very low bed count vs. the number that really needs it.

Any healthcare system is inadequate if it lacks these 3 under served categories:
    1) long-term mental healthcare facilities
    2) special ed needs healthcare (physical and mental) services
    3) homeless healthcare (physical and mental) services (as homeless can often be one or both of the above)

very important let's not go political. the healthcare system has too few resources like long-term facilities for the long-term mentally ill.

And prison mental health? horrid, and even more added horror for those who are non-insane but need high level, long-term treatment.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file