Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Finding a coin for British King Henry IV

I've been collecting coin for each British king who issued one and are getting down to the end of my list. One of the really hard ones is Henry IV who ruled from 1399 to 1413. His rule was a sad one. Some people believe that he caught leprosy during one of the crusades. At any rate he died a broken man believing that he was being punished for his sins.

Does anyone here have a Henry IV coin? It would be interesting to see it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2017 2:15AM

A coin and stamp:

ebay.com/itm/King-Henry-IV-Kings-Queens-of-England-Coronation-Collection-coin-stamp-cover-/332057364063?hash=item4d5029465f:g:vTAAAOSwcUBYScQ7

I did a search and found only one coin for sale: a muled groat for $3,750 sterling at Baldwin's.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be at the Midlands coin show this Saturday in Birmingham England if you want me to keep an eye out for you

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the offer, but my budget is a bit stretched right now.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

Henry IV is one tough monkey and when you did find an example, even an ugly one, it isn't cheap!

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tell me about it. I did see a penny at FUN that would have graded Fair or AG using U.S. standards. The price was over $2,000. The coins of Henry I and Stephen are also expensive and ugly. The good part was I was able to fill those holes with reasonably decent pennies for less than $1,000. The Stephen penny was certified and had a nice portrait.

This might one king I will choose to skip.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are two from H-IV, a groat and a 1/2p:

wolfsheadgallery.com

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

And another groat:

amrcoins.com

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Ian007Ian007 Posts: 2
    edited June 19, 2021 4:06PM

I only have one Henry IV its a light penny, Found it years ago. S1731, annulet and pellet by crown, trefoil on breast and before CIVI.

• Options

WOW very nice. Blows my coin out the window.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

Great coin Bill! I have a couple Nobles, but not from this difficult king. Here is my Henry IV, a Halfpenny of the Tower Mint graded XF-40 by PCGS.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2021 12:57PM

My sad Henry IV is a groat, worn and clipped, but unmistakeably Henry IV (as opposed to some coins which are categorized as Henry IV or V)