Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your eBay Bucks are on Their Way!

BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭
edited January 1, 2017 9:50PM in U.S. Coin Forum

How much did you earn this quarter? I think this will be my largest certificate yet, with a payout of $157.17. However, this round of eBay Bucks is bittersweet; effective January 1st, 2017, eBay Bucks base earnings are changing from 2% to 1%.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's great! I only have $13.10. There's a Buffalo that caught my eye that I'm going to use it on. I'm a little annoyed with eBay right now because I got an eBay gift card for Christmas and it won't let me use it on coins. I really don't know what the hell it matters if I pay with $50 or use the $50 they owe me.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several accounts... $500, $433, $31, and $19. Looking forward to spending them :)

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    ...I'm a little annoyed with eBay right now because I got an eBay gift card for Christmas and it won't let me use it on coins. I really don't know what the hell it matters if I pay with $50 or use the $50 they owe me.

That is annoying. I've used an eBay gift card to buy coins before, but that was a few years ago. Maybe the terms have changed.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2017 10:23PM

I guess that's exactly what happened because I've done it before too. It's not even bullion that I want, just collectible coins. I don't know when the change took place.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something like $70 but I'm fighting with a seller for a return which will wipe out much of that balance. Never sent the item and now doesn't have the cash to refund me!

• Options
    edited January 1, 2017 10:29PM

RESTRICTIONS

*9. The Gift Card may not be used to pay eBay or PayPal service fees. The Gift Card also may not be used to buy eBay Gift Cards, third party gift cards, gift certificates, coupons, coins, paper money, virtual currency, or items generally considered to be "bullion" (for example, gold, silver, and other precious metals in the form of coins, bars, or ingots).

So there it is. Seems stupid to me. The coin I tried to use it on first was a Shield Nickel which of course is NOT precious metal.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Something like $70 but I'm fighting with a seller for a return which will wipe out much of that balance. Never sent the item and now doesn't have the cash to refund me!

if you force the refund, it will turn their account negative the balance owed and get you your funds. or if they seem legitimate, a little time for repayment isn't a bad way to go.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Boosibri said:

if you force the refund, it will turn their account negative the balance owed and get you your funds. or if they seem legitimate, a little time for repayment isn't a bad way to go.

My gut is that they are honest. Asked for Jan 12th to pay which is the second extension. I can escalate on Jan 3rd which I will. My frustration is that they marked it shipped but never shipped. Two weeks later nothing but a subsequent excuse. Enough fishiness to push for quick resolution.

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

RESTRICTIONS

*9. The Gift Card may not be used to pay eBay or PayPal service fees. The Gift Card also may not be used to buy eBay Gift Cards, third party gift cards, gift certificates, coupons, coins, paper money, virtual currency, or items generally considered to be "bullion" (for example, gold, silver, and other precious metals in the form of coins, bars, or ingots).

So there it is. Seems stupid to me. The coin I tried to use it on first was a Shield Nickel which of course is NOT precious metal.

Did you end up getting the shield nickel?

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Mine is lowest ever - $57

I used to always get the $500 max per quarter. Whenever there was a bonus offer, I'd buy some gold that APMEX had listed in the non-bullion category getting $100 off and buying gold below spot. You only need to do that 5 times to get the $500 max.

But you can't earn bonus bucks buying coins anymore. Since most coin sellers have stores, eBay's only getting 6% so paying out 8%-10% isn't a good deal for eBay so they changed the rules to stop it.

• Options

@TopographicOceans said:
    Mine is lowest ever - $57

I used to always get the $500 max per quarter. Whenever there was a bonus offer, I'd buy some gold that APMEX had listed in the non-bullion category getting $100 off and buying gold below spot. You only need to do that 5 times to get the $500 max.

But you can't earn bonus bucks buying coins anymore. Since most coin sellers have stores, eBay's only getting 6% so paying out 8%-10% isn't a good deal for eBay so they changed the rules to stop it.

I get bonus bucks on coins all the time (with my less used ebay account at least!)

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭

I have $99.99. I am looking forward to buying a nice coin.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if a coin were to be listed in a category other than the Coin category if using eBay bucks would go through with no problem.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustHalfBrian said:
    How much did you earn this quarter? I think this will be my largest certificate yet, with a payout of $157.17. However, this round of eBay Bucks is bittersweet; effective January 1st, 2017, eBay Bucks base earnings are changing from 2% to 1%.

I spent a tad under your $157.17 payout in total purchases for the 4th qtr on ebay. Don't think that adds up to many Bucks for moi but Happy New Year!

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    My gut is that they are honest. Asked for Jan 12th to pay which is the second extension. I can escalate on Jan 3rd which I will. My frustration is that they marked it shipped but never shipped. Two weeks later nothing but a subsequent excuse. Enough fishiness to push for quick resolution.

that is odd.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

$211.47 for me! That is my high by around $50. What I noticed was odd is I bought an item and returned it yet still got the Ebay bucks so an extra $62.50 for me :)

• Options

@AmazonX said:

Did you end up getting the shield nickel?

Yeah, I just paid for it.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2017 9:34AM

@MWallace said:
    I wonder if a coin were to be listed in a category other than the Coin category if using eBay bucks would go through with no problem.

For coins you can use the eBay Bucks, but not an eBay gift card. So the annoying part here is that one can't combine eBay Bucks with any eBay gift cards you might have received over the holiday to buy a coin.

But as far as your theory working with the gift cards, I'm going to bet you're right. Their computers probably monitor the category at checkout.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭✭

A $431 Christmas gift from ebucks ....a combine with a cheaper bonus bucks offer to come ?

Get the bucks while you can.. if Ebay revenues don't fall with the reduced bucks this year . bucks may disappear in next 1-2 years

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

$267, bought a new computer, so that bumped it up more so then usual.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certificates come out on the 4th.

Another change... you cannot use ebay bucks to purchase ebay gift cards. but not sure why one would want to do so anyways, since you cannot use them for coins or bullion. Seems very foolish to me, but so it goes.

----- kj
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

as it has become harder to find gold from reputable sellers, plus as gold has been dropping, I have not maxed out mine, nor have I even gotten close. I think I have close to $125

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

$105. Waiting for an auction to end tomorrow that may suck it all up...

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

$165. Don't really have anything in mind coin wise, but I am keeping an eye on some game used pucks and goalie sticks.

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

Please excuse the question, I'm sure it has been answered but I have seen many post that say they can use the Bucks for some coins, and others say no, you can not use for coins, can someone please tell me if I can use my $36.00 to buy a coin or not, looking at a silver proof set, the Bullion part is also confusing, as many know Ebay information about this seems to contradict itself. 1) Can I buy a Non Bullion Coin? 2) Can I buy a Graded Mint issue - Proof ASE? I appreciate your indulgence on this. Tex

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a silver quarter with a quarter of my eBay bucks. The next couple quarters I bought, it would not let me use the rest.

• Options

you can buy anything under the coins and paper money category, including bullion, with ebay bucks.

However, you must log into paypal to use the bucks certificate. Now that ebay and paypal are separate companies, I have no idea why logging into paypal is required if the purchase amount is under the bucks amount available, but that's what you have to do.

happy logging in to paypal.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    you can buy anything under the coins and paper money category, including bullion, with ebay bucks.

However, you must log into paypal to use the bucks certificate. Now that ebay and paypal are separate companies, I have no idea why logging into paypal is required if the purchase amount is under the bucks amount available, but that's what you have to do.

Have you tried this? Because most of us have, and it is not working. I have ALWAYS been able to buy coins with my bucks, and I can't this time (and yes, I am logging into paypal first).

• Options
    edited January 4, 2017 3:05PM

I spent mine today on items that were non-bullion but still in the coins and paper money category. It was maybe 30 mins - 60 mins ago.
    (but buying bullion would be ok)

• Options
    edited January 4, 2017 2:57PM

perhaps it is an "outage that only affects some users."

although their system status page is all green: http://www.ebay.com/sts (which likely means little on a small outage)

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2017 3:03PM

Just bought a Byzantine coin I needed and had no issues with my bucks, this was 20min ago.

• Options

@jwitten said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Have you tried this? Because most of us have, and it is not working. I have ALWAYS been able to buy coins with my bucks, and I can't this time (and yes, I am logging into paypal first).

So, if you use a Credit Card for payment bypassing PayPal sign in, you don't get to use Ebucks ?

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes, what I have experienced is, a seller will list the same item under two categories, such as listing it under the U.S. coin category while also listing it under the bullion category.

In a scenario such as this you wouldn't be able to use your bucks to purchase the item, as the item listing within the bullion category would, in effect, kick the item in question out of eligibility.

• Options

@JohnnyCache said:
    Sometimes, what I have experienced is, a seller will list the same item under two categories, such as listing it under the U.S. coin category while also listing it under the bullion category.

In a scenario such as this you wouldn't be able to use your bucks to purchase the item, as the item listing within the bullion category would, in effect, kick the item in question out of eligibility.

The coins I am trying to pay for are confirmed NOT under bullion category.

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

i have $125.80. I am not happy about the new changes but it is basically free money so I am not too upset.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options

@jwitten said:

@JohnnyCache said:

The coins I am trying to pay for are confirmed NOT under bullion category.

They won't be able to help, but you can vent to ebay then PP cust serv.

skip telling them about the allowed vs. not allowed controversy. you can buy anything under coins & paper money with them. Just tell them you cannot complete a purchase with your bucks. To add some spice to the conversation, tell them you are afraid someone else will buy it before you can and they need to hurry to figure this out.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2017 6:27PM

@bestday said:

@jwitten said:

@MsMorrisine said:

So, if you use a Credit Card for payment bypassing PayPal sign in, you don't get to use Ebucks ?

To use an eBay Bucks Certificate, the Eligible Participant must pay for an item using his/her PayPal account before the expiration of the eBay Bucks Certificate.

As I recall, you had to use PP in order to get them so it follows that you'd need to use PP in order to redeem them.

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got $163 this time around. It was timely as I applied it to my first ebay purchase of 2017.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CA5MAN said:
    Fwiw, didn't work last night, but just tried it again tonight and this time it worked just fine to purchase a coin. Keep trying must be a glitch.

If you were having issues with coins, you'd prolly want to avoid BIN listings.

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just used mine for a quarter with no problems. I had to switch to Paypal as payment method, and the option to use ebay bucks popped up after that.

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

I called eBay CSR at noon because I could not use my bucks towards an auction win listed only under modern Commemorative gold category. She said they were aware of the problem and working on a fix . By 5pm the bucks were accepted so I completed the purchase.
    The terms on eBay bucks now excludes their use for bullion purchases - don't know if that's new

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Boosibri said:

That would'nt be Kryptonitecomics would it? :s

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

57 bucks, seems like most things I buy give me zero bucks. I have not read the new rules but seems more categories will start giving bucks so I may do better

Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options

@Tetromibi said:
    I just used mine for a quarter with no problems. I had to switch to Paypal as payment method, and the option to use ebay bucks popped up after that.

PayPal must be paying for the bonus bucks, if sign in needed for redeeming bucks

• Options

I also note the base %age is already showing as 1% now.

I hope buying slows enough that they decide to spur sales via lower seller fees.

• Options

@georgiacop50 said:

@Boosibri said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Boosibri said:

That would'nt be Kryptonitecomics would it? :s

Nope. Got my refund via eBay escalation yesterday

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2017 8:57AM

$79 so far this quarter

DANG!!! There's a special offer today 8% eBay bucks of PURCHASES AND SALES!
    Check your special offers!
    I've marked a few items off the wishlist already. Found deals of junk silver too

Good luck :)

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

I wish things on eBay were not so horrendously over priced in a BIN format. Not that I'm looking for bargains but realistic price points would be a good start.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to get eBay Bucks offers all the time. Now suddenly, nothing... This is ridiculous, they raise my sellers fees, lower my eBay bucks percentage and somehow want me to stick around buying and selling. Hmmm...

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never got them at all. Then I went into my settings in February and there is an option to receive emails and offers from eBay. Most of the times it's random junk eBay "today's sale" but this morning I got this

@jtlee321 said:
    I used to get eBay Bucks offers all the time. Now suddenly, nothing... This is ridiculous, they raise my sellers fees, lower my eBay bucks percentage and somehow want me to stick around buying and selling. Hmmm...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file