Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

(Anonymous) Poll - Do you plan on spending more or less on coins in 2017 than you did in 2016?

TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 31, 2016 9:57AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Note this is an anonymous poll and user votes are not made public.

(Anonymous) Poll - Do you plan on spending more or less on coins in 2017 than you did in 2016?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not plan.....I simply buy what interests me....No option for that......Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2016 10:23AM

I also don't plan. Pieces in my core collections are few and far between. I just prepare to be ready ;)

Sometimes, when it rains, it does pour. After seeing nothing in my primary collection all year, I was faced with 7 at the same time within 1 month. Even so, 2015 was a banner year, 2016, less so.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you plan on spending more or less on coins in 2017 than you did in 2016?

Yes.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've pretty much arrived at a policy of one nice thing for my core collection each winter. I have a few ideas for this year. It'll either be about the same $ amount or a bit less.

mirabela
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2016 10:56AM

I have no plans to buy any coins next year.

I know that I will buy many really cool coins next year.

The really cool thing about collecting and dealing in major mint error coins is you never know what you are going to buy next week.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completely understand the responses indicating "How the heck should I know?!".

But I voted "Somewhat less" based on a completely disclosed and known change in family finances that is coming up Mid-year. I'm already getting more careful and selective in preparation.....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends on what I find.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

A LOT LESS. I bought a major collection, and split the cost with another collector. Needless to say, I might not spend any money on coins in 2017. But that's ok, since the collection I bought will satisfy my appetite for many years, if not decades, to come.

• Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I plan on buying a lot more

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot less for myself I'm guessing

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhat less but only because I need 3 coins to complete the series.

I'm sure I'll move on to other stuff but it won't be a focus like the Seated Lib half dimes were. I'll probably just collect random keys of different series.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't be putting much "new" money into coins; I need to bring myself to sell some of the thousands of coins I already have first.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    edited December 31, 2016 9:32PM

@ricko said:
    I do not plan.....I simply buy what interests me....No option for that......Cheers, RickO

That said, I think it would be interesting to view your collection!

• Options

I'm budgeting for the two additional coins I'll need in 2017 for my circulated Lincoln shield cent collection.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the right coins come along.......More.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

Well so far I haven't spent a dime in 2017....

• Options

@ms70 said:
    Well so far I haven't spent a dime in 2017....

I haven't either but it's still 2016 where I'm at.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to guess around the same but that will depend upon availability and price. I should have around the same amount of funds available to buy "toys" but, if what I specialize in is not for sale or the prices are too "out there", then the money will get saved until 2018.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Spending less this year, going to continue thinning the collection.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Less now in my seventies time to figure out who gets what / what to do if they want to sell it.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is hard for me to predict, could be more, or less. I try to spend within my means but don't know what tomorrow may bring in terms of opportunities, or, lack of. I think I'll focus on a "squirrel" fund this year for any future numismatic surprises that may come my way.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    I won't be putting much "new" money into coins; I need to bring myself to sell some of the thousands of coins I already have first.

Uh......Oh!
    Most significant and maybe scary post in the thread.
    Could start an avalanche!
    Hope I'm wrong but my age has now FINALLY turned me into a "final destination" for my new stuff.

Ironically, my first type set would have been my BEST final purchase. :/

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2017 7:33AM

You got me to check my spreadsheet! Spent ~$9600 on coins in 2016 and voted Somewhat less.

I don't have specific plans but imagine 2017 will be about half of 2016's total.

P.S. I did just renew my ANA Platinum membership for 2017-2018 at a cost of $88. Does that count? :D

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2017 6:46AM

Took all my dreck and while Russ was alive, sent him a box.

So in 2016 I dumped the crap and bought stuff I really like.

Some modest, some not. Some neatos from years back have stayed. But financially, I have more than I will ever need so I'm ...indulging... my dotage.

Not ....PLANNING.... any sales from the current treasure chest. But.... who knows?

Baley's post has me a bit concerned.

I see that divestment coming from our old crowd and I even did it with my dreck as I said. i don't see a huge future for collecting unless America gets to a place where the young can find jobs, but I don't expect that either

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy the dips .... not the dipped.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully more as I did not buy any coins in 2016. Bought only silver bullion.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't plan for coins that may or may not show up. If something shows up it may be more than last year. :)

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I like anonymous polls.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file