Home U.S. Coin Forum

Which side of the fence?

stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 30, 2016 9:06PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's one for the resident "I-grade-coins-from-pictures" warriors.

Is this AU or UNC? I have my opinion, which I will post at the end.

Which side of the fence?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 9:14PM
    UNC

Uncirculated fake? :o

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UNC

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    AU

AU55
    Toning distracts. At least for me

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU

Fwiw the obverse looks unc but reverse AU.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU

I also think the the OBV looks UNC and the REV AU.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭
    AU

The rims look AU

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 10:55PM
    UNC

@BIGAL2749 said:
    The rims look AU

That could be. And it can even be true. But, if the coin has full or essentially full field luster and the high points don't show any obvious rub, then it gets a TPG unc rating. The only place I really start paying attention to a full unc rim is at the MS64-66 level where it's more imperative the rim shows full and rough luster.

Really sharp reverse details. I don't see any rub on either side. Eagle's breast is sharp as a tack with no possible rub. I think the slight flatness on the wing tops is a very minor strike issue. Luster might not be 100% but looks close. You don't full luster to get a MS61/62 though. I'd me more concerned about the album toning look and getting an AT designation. Though in these dark photos you can't tell what kind of colors are on the coin. It could be fine too. If this is a fake....it's a great one. I don't see any difference in quality from obv to reverse. Looks consistent to me.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UNC

I voted unc. Keep in mind that is all that was requested. I see a 63 as the high end of the range. I do like the coin. Congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2016 5:55AM
    other

If dipped, UNC (wink)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UNC

I voted "Unc." and it looks to be a lower end Mint State piece, but I've have to see the luster in the fields to say for sure.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UNC

I said UNC.... and I doubt if my opinion would change 'in hand'....Cheers, RickO

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UNC

Can't see any obvious signs of wear.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2016 10:47AM

It's unc but has been stripped of all luster and then AT'd

Jmho

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UNC

I have one in 58 to compare so yours has more meat, but could use more eye appeal!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UNC

I voted "UNC" since on a purely technical POV, I don't think there is any wear.

However, based on the picture, I'm inclined to say it wouldn't straight grade. Environmental damage?

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU

Are we giving our opinion or what we think a TPG would say.
    I would lump it into the AU category but A TPG would probably say low unc.

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UNC

I see no signs of wear on the areas that would usually show: nothing on the eagle, none on Liberty's breast, wrist or knees, the head is a little weakly struck, but that's not uncommon - I vote "Unc"

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UNC

I voted Unc. I don't see any wear on the high points.

edited December 31, 2016 12:57PM
    UNC

@tradedollarnut said:

Jmho

Why would one strip the luster away before AT'ing something? There is some luster surrounding the eagle on the lighter interior reverse fields....same around her right arm and above her legs. If luster is stripped, the centers are usually the first part affected.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UNC

I thought about the appearance-the lustre looks muted and that may be attributable in part to the lighting/photography.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

UNC

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

@roadrunner said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Jmho

Why would one strip the luster away before AT'ing something? There is some luster surrounding the eagle on the lighter interior reverse fields....same around her right arm and above her legs. If luster is stripped, the centers are usually the first part affected.

Doesn't have to be strip and tone - easily strip then later tone. I've had one like that

This is an S mint - the luster should be apparent even in a pic. Looks flat and drab to me

• stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2016 3:38PM

Fun discussion.

Here's a brief video of the coin to give you a better idea of what it looks like.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=AF3YVTXm1b8

Personally I think the coin is a technical AU58+ with fairly unattractive toning. There's the slightest bit of rub on the hand of Liberty and on the thigh feathers of the eagle, and as others have pointed out the rims are quite "AU" so to speak.

I wouldn't be surprised to find it in a low UNC holder either.

True as it may be that the other S-mint T$ tend to have booming luster, I have personally found the 74 S to be an outlier with that regards, commonly seen with poor luster.

Body bag. Jmho

• AU

I voted AU early on and my interpretation of the picture was the same as Tradedolllarnut. It looks flat and lifeless with no luster. Others see luster, but I don't. Will be interesting to see the results.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    other

I just got this one. I don't think it's unc. Slab says it ain't.

But not sure. May have to crack to examine closely.

• StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    other

AU62 so I voted other

• chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    UNC

I voted unc but if it came back au,I wouldn't kick it out of bed

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dispute and repudiate the very idea of a fence (line, boundary) between circulated and uncirculated.

Or at the very least, it's a wide and blurry line, and this coin is an example that stands within it.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    I dispute and repudiate the very idea of a fence (line, boundary) between circulated and uncirculated.

Or at the very least, it's a wide and blurry line, and this coin is an example that stands within it.

We have a winner :wink:

edited December 31, 2016 8:17PM
    UNC

Plenty of luster showing up in that video to get an unc grade. Whether it BB's for AT, ED, or potential former cleaning is another story. The toning pattern is certainly not what you'd like to see.

The 1876-s pictured above is heavily worn so not even a possibility of an unc grade....maybe no better than 50-55 and very little luster left.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU

Voted AU. Unc details would be my guess

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UNC

63? It does have heavy toning/

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UNC

UNC.

Hoard the keys.
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    other

I think it has been toned to hide an old, unsuccessful dip.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UNC

Uncirculated, but a bit dull.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file