Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any advantage or disadvantage to putting the pcgs cert# in the Item specifics on ebay?

Is there any advantage or disadvantage? Does the collectors corner or want list features of the registry only find the coins with cert#'s listed? I assume coinfacts auction history only finds coins by cert#? Does it distinguish between BIN and auction? Perhaps one doesn't want their sales recorded on coinfacts?

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a GOOD thing.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it probably is a major factor in search results.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy on the customer
    I always do it

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 3:37PM

Also allows you to list several of the same things as it makes each listing item specific.

• Options
    StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Good to know...thanks for the info in case I ever list anything on EBay again.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, otherwise I never know if it is a 'stock' photo

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always do it altho it's a PITA

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

It used to be a problem because people would take cert numbers from eBay and put them in their Registry set.
    When the new owner of the coin tried to register it, they would have to contact BJ to get it removed.
    Their excuse was they wanted to know what would happen to their set if they added a coin of that grade.

PCGS invented the "What If" option where you can see what happens if you had a coin of that grade.
    So anybody caught stealing cert numbers gets a major slap on the wrist nowadays.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2017 7:54PM

I Always include cert # in listing so customer knows they will be getting item pictured.

I will not buy or bid on vintage coins if I think it is a stock photo. An ebay seller was calling me on how they had a good price on Morgan dollars. Yes they did but stock photo....no go for me. In a number of instances I have returned coins bc got dog vs the stock photo on certified coin. One got the exact coin but photo on ebay did not show large thumbmark smudge on obverse somebody must have tried thumb it? Sent it back refund. I avoid sellers not in USA plus ones who do not offer returns. Even on mods they have tried send me a low end piece (like MS69 ASE with black spots) and these were returned.

If ebay seller does not offer returns / has stock photos that sb a read flag right there.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    uscoinguyuscoinguy Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

From what I understand- the main advantage to adding the cert number is for people looking to buy a coin though the "shop" tab in the set registries. It will link to a coin on eBay only if there is a cert number.

Always trying to learn more
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2017 11:26PM

An additional benefit is when there's an associated TrueView pic. If a seller's pictures suck, the TrueView may help sell it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a good thing.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use it, like MS70 mentioned it can refer back to a TrueView image. It would also be beneficial if a sale/ return issue pops up to have a certification number included in the item description...although some people input the wrong number.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    It would also be beneficial if a sale/ return issue pops up to have a certification number included in the item description.

I put the cert number in the listing for the same reason.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AllCoinsRule said:
    Well I accidentally answered my own question... I put the wrong cert # on a coin on ebay by accident, and someone bought it thinking it was a different date and would fill a different slot in the registry.

Yes, it's going to be a major pain to go through my listings and add or check the correctness of the cert #s.

Do people not look at the photos anymore?!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TopographicOceans said:
    It used to be a problem because people would take cert numbers from eBay and put them in their Registry set.
    When the new owner of the coin tried to register it, they would have to contact BJ to get it removed.
    Their excuse was they wanted to know what would happen to their set if they added a coin of that grade.

PCGS invented the "What If" option where you can see what happens if you had a coin of that grade.
    So anybody caught stealing cert numbers gets a major slap on the wrist nowadays.

Sometimes it's an innocent mistake like the person forgot to pull the coin off the registry after he or she sold it. Other times it's fraud where a person makes up a set from the Internet listings. That is grounds to get more than "a slap on the wrist" in my opinion. People who do that deserve to banned or at suspended.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

A cert. number is a requirement for me. We can sort out the ownership later. But is this not the advantage of buying certified coins?

OINK

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought that the only way that you can use a numerical grade in your title is if you include that cert number in the specifics.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2017 6:34AM

Disadvantage? If you happened to buy the coin at auction for an incredibly low price, it might be hard to ask a higher price. The old auction price will show up if potential buyers visit the cert verification page.

Apart from that, there are only advantages and I wouldn't buy a coin from eBay without knowing the cert number.

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TopographicOceans said:

What is this you speak of?

I always thought adding the cert # is what allowed CoinFacts auction history to populate.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

"see picture for actual cert number." Then include picture of actual slab.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file