Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of this original package proof set?

rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 29, 2016 9:10PM in U.S. Coin Forum

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Proof-Set-monster-rainbow-toning-ALL-GEMS-/162338497337?hash=item25cc20e339:g:aP8AAOSwUKxYZdP6

Look at ALL the photos. I've never seen anything like this. And I've looked at a lot of proof and mint sets.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

Comments

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would normally equate "target toning" with albums....not proof set packaging....

But, what do I know.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

The guy took pics with 13 different angles, so its really hard to see what condition they're in. Are they coins or models?

from what I can tell, they look great.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how they sealed up the cellophane after the artificial toning? ;) Looks like they did a decent job that might fool somebody.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

If you think AT, look closely at the cent....?

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a food saver or sealer. Not right the cent is way off.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2016 10:05PM

In the picture where they're all in the packaging, the quarter and the dime look ok, but the quarter looks like it has fingerprint streaks. The rest don't look right.

Looks like a little hole poked in the cellophane near 5:00 by the dime.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way one could get the edge views (cent/dime) like he did WHILE they are in the OGP. I would have to see it to believe it and/or have a photographer I trusted do the same type of shot.

Also, on the "little hole poked in the cellophane" by the dime......I'm guessing the same hole is at ~1o'clock on the cent, 7o'clock on the half and quarter, each, (where the cellophane is kind of pushed in), the 7o'clock dark spot on the nickel....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the coin pockets look compromised. Set is not original it seems.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller says he removed the coins from the OGP to photograph them. Hmmm.....

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 5:54AM

Could be?
    You get the set in a Capital holder not in the cellophane.
    At least he didn't try and put them back.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks too good to be true. Interesting set though. I wouldn't touch it at that price but I'd sure as hell buy it for close to melt. :)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once the set has been removed from its original holder, it's no longer "original." I think that this is an assembled set. The coins might be original; it's hard to tell. At any rate this offering is way over priced.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Major premium for environmental damage.....SMH.......Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

81852309 is not a valid PCGS #.....?

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grip said:
    81852309 is not a valid PCGS #.....?

:/ ?????

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

That price is obscene.

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 9:24AM

1960-63 proof sets are well known to have toned coins. It is usually 1 or 2 coins in a set. All coins toned? Possible but never seen before. This red dime i sent to PCGS and thought it worth a bundle. Think it sold for $25.. :)

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

not much for original - I can not remember seeing coins in the piliform packaging era that had similar peripheral toning. They are usually complete mottled like the dime above, or a crescent near a hole in the packaging.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it! Very eye-appealing. <3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of 1963 proof sets that are still in the original wrapper and brown envelope. One is starting to tone somewhat. My parents used to buy each of their kids a proof set so the one I am referring to has been in our family since 1963.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

My BS-meter is exploding!

• Options
    StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I'm also thinking 'environmental damage'...along with the high premium...pass!

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best thing to do would have been to send it to PCGS in the original packaging. Too late now.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem coins and waaaay overpriced. AT hombre!!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2016 8:33PM

The half dollar looks beyond belief. A body bagger's dream submission.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way too many flags on this one for me.

First... bulls-eye toning? Both sides? All coins?
    Second... Each pocket of 'original' plastic shows signs of disruptions, punctures, etc.
    Third... Cent is way not normal, especially in picture of entire 'original' packaging. Half doesn't look right to me either.
    Fourth... Just looking at the pics I have a sense of 'sulfur' smell coming though the internet and my keyboard...

May be original, may be not. Not original for my taste though. But to each their own. Regardless, price is nowhere near any potential buy price for me.

----- kj
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Looks like no "serious toned collectors " here...
    Where are they???...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

All AT

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't trust that at all.

• Options
    BSABSA Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Holder has definitely been slit by each coin which would make you think they were exposed to some form of chemical. However, I think most of the coins would grade if submitted individually as none of them are to over the top, other than the penny.

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

I specialize in toned proof sets still in the cellophane, and these look fake to me. The bullseye toning doesn't happen in those plastics. That is completely unnatural.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file