Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone submit a coin for grading or authentication, and got an offer to buy coin?

2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

I have some old coins from error coins magazine my granddad sent in that returned with an offer to purchase. Was curious if others had this experience?

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Comments

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know a dealer who sent in the rare steel cent to NGC to be graded and heard that it sent ripples through the dealer market with interested parties making large offers. So much for disinterested authentication and grading practices.

• Options

I too have seen this happen. Not going to say which company, but it also raised a lot of red flags for me.

In the grading companies' defense, the people working there can be passionate collectors too. I understand the drive to secure certain pieces, and perhaps the offer was figured after noticing the coin, already graded. I might forgive them in that circumstance.

In one case I've seen, the TPG made it clear they had an individual who wanted to buy the coin before they even graded it. I was floored.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've sent "discovery" pieces (varieties, DDOs, RPMs, etc.) to be listed (not to TPGs) and had offers made.
    I know that's not the same thing but where there is money to be made, deals to (possibly) broker, $$$$$$ is the key.
    Always has been, always will be.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HCumberdale said:

In one case I've seen, the TPG made it clear they had an individual who wanted to buy the coin before they even graded it. I was floored.

Not that unusual. I recall a top level national dealer back in 1988-1989 who wasn't the world's best grader. He would routinely make strong offers on raw choice/gem type coins depending on whether they came back 64, 65 or 66. All he cared about was the final grade. And each of those grade offers was in line with the current price guides. He was very successful, and is still around today.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

I not, my grandfather has... have you?

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I know a dealer who sent in the rare steel cent to NGC to be graded and heard that it sent ripples through the dealer market with interested parties making large offers. So much for disinterested authentication and grading practices.

I’d like to hear the other side(s) of the story before passing judgment. For example, did the dealer tell anyone else about the coin?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds weird.... An offer from the grading service? Or some other type of authenticating group? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think that confidentiality should be important to any grading company.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2019 7:02AM

@jmski52 said:
    I would think that confidentiality should be important to any grading company.

It's not like they broadcast everyones' submissions by name. Frankly, I'd feel honored to get an offer from JA or smoeone at a TPG.

Has anyone ever sent in coins and included a note soliciting offers?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did the offer come from a dealer who sent them in for your grandfather? I don't see anything wrong with that, and it was probably standard practice back in the day when collectors didn't have direct access to some grading companies.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Upon submission of a Cheerios Sacagawea years ago. I was made a very generous offer (2 actually ) .

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2019 7:07AM

Not quite the same, but I had someone from Heritage reach out with an offer for a coin I had just won.

I never saw the coin in hand since he handled it all before it shipped, instead I ended up with a personal check written to me for the difference between the auction price and his offer. I didn’t mind.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@logger7 said:

I’d like to hear the other side(s) of the story before passing judgment. For example, did the dealer tell anyone else about the coin?

I will have to talk to the dealer; probably it was determined to be genuine in short order with stepped up certification fees and the word got out quickly on a real rarity.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had an offer to purchase AFTER they were attributed.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

A well known crack out offered to buy a Capped Bust dime I was submitting for grading through my contact at a large numismatic entity. I said 'no.' I have sent in the coin on three different occasions, and it is still in the same grade as it was when I first bought it.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file