Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NewP Double Dime

Hi Everyone I hope y'all are having a great week leading up to Christmas. I recently bought my very first double dime and I love the coin. Upon studying the coin a bit I am curious about something. The coin as u can see has deep toning but those spots worry me. What do y'all think? Toning or ED?

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Comments

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

ED..Don't buy.

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

I bought it already. Got coin in hand and now I'm worried

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends upon the price and the grade. The dark spots that are bothering you are examples of tarnish or chemical change that has gone too far in my opinion. The black spot by Ms. Liberty's elbow drapery is troubling. The spots on the back are too, but they are out of the focal point of the design. I think that the coin was deeply toned and someone tried to remove the toning.

I don't want to ruin your holiday, but I'm trying to give you an honest opinion.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin looks like trouble to me. The spots are distracting and some appear to still have a central kernel of foreign matter within them. They may or may not grown with time, but the surfaces underneath are almost certainly pitted to some extent. You may like the look and the price and that is fine, but there is likely a narrow lane to ever sell this coin.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:
    That coin looks like trouble to me. The spots are distracting and some appear to still have a central kernel of foreign matter within them. They may or may not grown with time, but the surfaces underneath are almost certainly pitted to some extent. You may like the look and the price and that is fine, but there is likely a narrow lane to ever sell this coin.

These are things my Inexperience couldn't see by the pictures. But when I got it in hand red flags went up and that's why I came to the Pro's. Thanks for taking time to pass on your opinion.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pass on that one...is there a return policy available?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly I agree with the others. Looks like environmental damage, It's a shame, because it's nice looking aside from the spots.
    I'd return it. :(

• Options

I'm returning it sadly. I have been looking for a Pl double dime for a while. Oh well. I appreciate everyone's time.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did right by returning it. Be patient as these coins are readily available with a little patience. Many of the 1875-P coins in high grade are PL as the same dies were used to strike proof and circulation coins. Keep in mind, however, that nice examples often sell for well above "price guide" values.

You didn't show the coin's label. If it is straight-graded, I would be surprised. It appears to have been cleaned following some environmental damage.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your decision to return it is correct.... some of those spots (perhaps all), indicate serious surface damage... likely some contaminant with reactive properties splashed on it at some point...too bad...even if spots removed, there will be surface evidence that ruins the appearance. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Astrorat it's in a straight graded holder buddy.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ay caramba!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrkbrown87 said:
    I'm returning it sadly. I have been looking for a Pl double dime for a while. Oh well. I appreciate everyone's time.

Be patient. You'll find one.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Turned for the worst in the holder. That's all I can think of

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file