Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

FSH: Time to shake another one out of the "Eclectic Box of 20"...

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have another newp pending so I need to sell one of these. The Austrian Netherlands piece is actually a very fresh newp from Zohar. When one of these sells, the rest go back into the box until next time. Usual terms: PayPal preferred but not required, full return privilege, free shipping to US addresses.

I also have some less-expensive raw coins here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ancient Roman Empire: silver denarius of Septimius Severus, ca. 193-211 AD
$195

Netherlands (Gelderland): "St. John" type gold gulden (florin) of Arnold van Egmond, ca. 1423-1472
$725

Austrian Netherlands: copper 2 liards (2 Oorden), Insurrection coinage, 1790
$275
(Same piece realized $305.50, Heritage Auction #231550, Lot #62102, 12/2015.)

Great Britain: silver "South Sea Company" shilling of George I, 1723
$495
(Actually a tiny bit below my cost. Ex-NGC MS64.)

United States: bronze Civil War token, "Our Little Monitor" type, 1863
$265
(Same piece realized $345 in the Stacks-Bowers 2010 Baltimore sale, Lot #21.)

Guatemala, silver quarter-real, 1898
$65
(Slightly below my cost. Pop 2/1 and possibly the second-nicest example certified. Has nicer toning than the other PCGS MS66 out there. There is one PCGS MS67 I haven't seen. I can't access the NGC census due to a "runtime error" on their site.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

LordM, what is the size of the gold coin and do you know the gold content?

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2016 12:08AM

@mkman123 said:
    LordM, what is the size of the gold coin and do you know the gold content?

It is a medieval coin, and the goldgulden coinage of this era varied in fineness. I do not know its weight in grams. It does have a pretty good yellow gold color. Some of these were struck in rather "pale" (probably debased) gold. Nor do I have its diameter in millimeters, but you can judge the size by looking at the slab picture (which, like all the slab pictures above, are not so hot- that one was a quickie cellphone job by yours truly).

Like all hammered medieval gold, this is a very thin coin. That surprises some people who are more accustomed to looking at modern (post-1600s) milled coinage.

I will add that I disagree with PCGS' "filed rims" notation- I see no sign of that- nor is the coin noticeably clipped (shaved) around the edges like much medieval gold and silver got. Note the full legends and the fact that it has rims in the first place- that is not something you can take for granted on coins of this era! There are even some beads/denticles present.

If it does not sell here, I'll be cracking that one out and trying it at NGC for a straight grade, since they deal with this sort of material a lot more than PCGS does.

I bought the coin raw, for its awesome contrasting toning and nice strike. The trip to PCGS was not a total waste, since I did get TrueViews of it, upon which that Photoshop template image was based. I have not seen any others of this type with the eye appeal of this example, in my opinion, though I might have seen one or two in higher grade. Often you can't see John the Baptist's facial features on these. Check them out on this coin. (This is sort of akin to the "Full Head" thing on Standing Liberty quarters.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.