Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Guatemala, silver quarter-real, 1898

Guatemala, silver quarter-real, 1898

Obverse: Three volcanic mountain peaks, the central one smoking, sun above, date below.

Reverse: Denomination within wreath, five stars below.

KM162, .835 silver/.0207 oz., PCGS MS66, cert. #11572895. Ex-Coins To Medals (VCoins store), 9/1/2016.

This is a tiny little coin, but sometimes good things come in small packages. With its supergem grade, flashy luster, and attractive toning, it has terrific eye appeal. The catalog value even in Mint State is fairly modest, and I paid many multiples of that for this piece, but considering it's tied with one other for second highest graded at PCGS (pop. 2/1; there is one MS67 graded), I thought it was a nice pickup for less than 75 dollars after shipping. With a mintage of 384,000, it is also the second-lowest mintage for the type. This is another coin that will occasionally serve as a "transitional" piece when my Box of 20 is undergoing changes or other coins are out for grading, etc.

Miscellaneous links:

PCGS cert verification page

NGC/Krause priceguide listing

Original dealer listing

Wikipedia links:

Guatemala

1898 (historical events of the year)

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya, I need to find me a Central America Volcano piece

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OldEastside

Ya, I need to find me a Central America Volcano piece

Steve

Well, FWIW if anybody wants the twin sister to this coin, follow my link above to the dealer page. Same seller has the OTHER PCGS MS66 for the same price. Mine has just a tiny bit more color, but the other appears to be a lusterbomb as well.

Only downside is that the cheapest shipping option is 2-day Priority Mail at $11-something, which I found absurd to ship such a tiny coin (across one state line in my case).

I protested/inquired about alternatives, but never got a response. Since I'd already checked out and paid, the coin arrived in due time.

I'm sure I overpaid, but heck, it was still very affordable and is tied with that one other for second highest graded, so...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    !Que bonita!

(I tried the upside down "!", but the antiquated forum software wouldn't allow it.)
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a cool coin for the price, I'd likely have paid that.

Excellent pick up! image
    I'd really like to see that when you're up here! image
    Originally posted by: asheland

I'd really like to see that when you're up here! image

You will. image

We'll be up there right around Halloween again this year, barring any changes in travel plans. Gonna bunk in Dead King Aethelred's dungeon (er, basement).

I look forward to this! It's a blast every year! image
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something really sweet about this little gem!
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice tiny little Guatemalan coin!

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, congrats. I just have a common 1896. Fun little coins though.
    I had a holey one on the old Holey Coin Vest. Forget the date. Ain't a whole lotta coin left after you put a hole in one of these!

• CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    For those just looking for the type, I've got a small group of the 1896 ungraded on my website for $7.50 each. I can't guarantee they'd grade MS66, but all are Choice BU or better.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Oops. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    A great little coin.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    A great little coin.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

Originally posted by: CIVITAS

For those just looking for the type, I've got a small group of the 1896 ungraded on my website for $7.50 each. I can't guarantee they'd grade MS66, but all are Choice BU or better.

Well, if I ever needed validation that I paid too much, there it is! image

I "bought the plastic" for sure!

But I guess I'm OK with that, just this once.