Home Precious Metals

2 oz Griffin.........anybody grabbing some?

Anybody buying the 2 oz Royal Mint Griffin?

Best deal for roll?

Best deal for less than a roll?

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin.... I would buy one as a collector piece, but will stick with U.S. silver for stacking. Cheers, RickO

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait for all the blood to dry.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Nice coin.... I would buy one as a collector piece, but will stick with U.S. silver for stacking. Cheers, RickO

Agree. Premium is quite a chunk.

Believe the designs are superb.

http://www.heraldry.ca/projects/queens_beasts/queens_beasts.htm

The Lion of England[edit]

Arms of the United Kingdom.svg

The Lion of England is the crowned golden lion of England, influenced by the Welsh lions, which has been one of the supporters of the Royal Arms since the accession of James I in 1603. It supports a shield showing the Arms of the United Kingdom as they have been since Queen Victoria's accession in 1837. In the first and last quarters of the shield are the lions of England, taken from Llywelyn the Great's arms. The lion and tressure of Scotland appear in the second, and the harp of Ireland is in the third.[2]

The White Greyhound of Richmond[edit]

Tudor Rose, royally crowned.svg

Main article: White Greyhound of Richmond

The White Greyhound of Richmond was a badge of John of Gaunt, Earl of Richmond, son of Edward III. It was also used by Henry IV and especially by Henry VII. The Tudor double rose can be seen on the shield, one rose within another surmounted by a crown. It symbolizes the union of two of the cadet houses of the Plantagenet, York and Lancaster.[2]

The Yale of Beaufort[edit]

Beaufort Portcullis Badge of the Tudors.svg

The Yale was a mythical beast, supposedly white and covered with gold spots and able to swivel each of its horns independently. It descends to the Queen through Henry VII, who inherited it from his mother, Lady Margaret Beaufort. The shield shows a portcullis surmounted by a royal crown. The portcullis (uncrowned) was a Beaufort badge, but was used both crowned and uncrowned by Henry VII.[2]

The Red Dragon of Wales[edit]

Arms of Llywelyn.svg

The red dragon was a badge used by Owen Tudor, after the story of the dragon on Llewelyn the Last's castle grounds. His grandson, Henry VII, took it as a token of his supposed descent from Cadwaladr, the last of the line of Maelgwn. The beast holds a shield bearing a lion in each quarter; this was the coat of arms of Llywelyn ap Gruffudd, the last native Prince of Wales.[2]

The White Horse of Hanover[edit]

Arms of Great Britain in Scotland (1714-1801).svg

The White Horse of Hanover was introduced into the Royal Arms in 1714 when the crown of Great Britain passed to the Elector George of Hanover. This grandson of Elizabeth Stuart, sister of Charles I, became George I, King of Britain, France and Ireland. The shield shows the leopards of England and the lion of Scotland in the first quarter, the fleur-de-lis of France in the second and the Irish harp in the third quarter. The fourth quarter shows the Arms of Hanover.[2]

The White Lion of Mortimer[edit]

Rose en Soleil Badge of York.svg

The White Lion of Mortimer descends to the Queen through Edward IV. The shield shows a white rose encircled by a golden sun, known heraldically as a ‘white rose en soleil’ which is really a combination of two distinct badges. Both of these appear on the Great Seals of Edward IV and Richard III, and were used by George VI when Duke of York. Unlike the Lion of England, this beast is uncrowned.[2]

The Unicorn of Scotland[edit]

Royal Arms of Scotland.svg

From the end of the 16th century, two unicorns were adopted as the supporters of the Scottish Royal Arms. In 1603, the crown of England passed to James VI of Scotland, who then became James I of England. He took as supporters of his Royal Arms a crowned lion of England and one of his Scottish unicorns. The unicorn holds a shield showing the Royal Arms of Scotland, a lion ramping in a royal tressure, adorned with fleur-de-lis.[2]

The Griffin of Edward III[edit]

Badge of the House of Windsor.svg

The griffin of Edward III Queen's Beast is an ancient mythical beast. It was considered a beneficent creature, signifying courage and strength combined with guardianship, vigilance, swiftness and keen vision. It was closely associated with Edward III who engraved it on his private seal. The shield shows the Round Tower of Windsor Castle (where Edward III was born) with the Royal Standard flying from the turret, enclosed by two branches of oak surmounted by the royal crown.[2]

The Black Bull of Clarence[edit]

Royal Arms of England (1399-1603).svg

The Black Bull of Clarence descended to the Queen through Edward IV. The shield shows the Royal Arms as they were borne by Edward IV and his brother Richard III as well as all the Sovereigns of the Houses of Lancaster and Tudor.[2]

The Falcon of the Plantagenets[edit]

Falcon and Fetterlock Badge of Edward IV.svg

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing analysis.... knew a little of this... worked for a British company for about six years...Thanks for posting all of this... Cheers, RickO

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a collector piece, the first 2 cannot be beat. Superb designs and artfully crafted on their 2 oz coins. I'm in for the whole series...

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

At $370/roll it's a 15% premium. In the current environment, not too bad really. OPA, are the 1st two issues still around?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • SEMPERFISILVERANDMORESEMPERFISILVERANDMORE Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited December 16, 2016 5:42PM

I purchased 5 of these through APMEX - make sure to enter their contest if you haven't yet - no purchase necessary!
    http://www.apmex.com/cyber-monday?_campaign=11302016BritanniaSweepstakes

Ebay Seller -> Semper_Fi_Silver_and_More

@jmski52 said:
    At $370/roll it's a 15% premium. In the current environment, not too bad really. OPA, are the 1st two issues still around?

Yes....can be had from major bullion dealers.

• aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

OPA - OOOOOPPPPHHHHH! $449 for a 5 oz'er!!???!!! $81 per ounce.

@acloco said:
    OPA - OOOOOPPPPHHHHH! $449 for a 5 oz'er!!???!!! $81 per ounce.

10 4....steep price, but only 3 left available. BTW, it's almost $90 per oz.

The 1 oz proof is now available from the Royal Mint for: £70.83 + shipping (65% sold)
    http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_Lion_of_England_2017_UK_One_Ounce_Silver_Proof_Coin

photo 2016 Queens Beasts proof Lion_zpsomzonoxt.jpg

• Is anyone interested in 2017 Great Britain 2 Ounce Griffin of Edward III Queen's Beasts ?
    It's listed here
    And also available from 2 other dealers in Gold and Silver Antique Finish.

Never stop stacking
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

That is actually terrible if you think about the exit strategy. 15% each per coin as you collect is fine. If and when you decide to exit and you have a complete set you will most likely get more than 15% over spot for the complete set. But a roll quantity is only going to sell to a flipper and flippers are not going to pay 15% per coin over , they will have to break up the roll and sell piecemeal . If you just do that ,break up the roll and sell one at a time you will get your 15% back of course but that is 10 separate transactions which without a rise in spot makes you a net loser after fees etc. ,

That's true, but I'm seeing 10% premiums over spot right now for 90%. On a comparative basis, 15% isn't too bad. And those Griffins are some impressive coins, I say. Side note, I lost my buns on the Proof Freedom Girls I gobbled up by the roll, so don't mind me, my clock is only right about twice a day.

I knew it would happen.
    edited June 27, 2017 7:39AM

I had my finger on the purchase button last night, but I couldn't quite do it. I'm trying to eliminate line items in my spreadsheet and this series will add about 10 or 15 new line items if I do it. Argh. Plus the premium thing. MCM just sold out of the raw 2 oz. Lions while I was diddling around trying to decide. :)

JM Bullion still has them, tho.

I knew it would happen.
    edited June 27, 2017 3:47PM

FYI....The Royal Mint has sold out the 1oz proof lion.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

I'm in for those 1 oz proofs. They are absolutely gorgeous.

@dpoole said:

@OPA said:

I'm in for those 1 oz proofs. They are absolutely gorgeous.

Me to...got me the Unicorn proof available at APMEX

edited June 30, 2017 8:17PM

Royal Mint shows that the 1 oz proof Unicorn and Lion are now sold out.

photo Unicorn 1 oz prf rev_zpsbjc3pvmo.jpg

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2017 2:27PM

Got my Unicorn 1oz proof in today from APMEX!

My 5 oz proof purchased from the Royal Mint, is scheduled to be delivered 7/5... :)

photo Unicorn 5 oz prf 1_zpsfcigq797.jpg

Great-looking coins!

I knew it would happen.

I pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago. I couldn't resist the 1 oz. Proof Gold Unicorn either!

I also obtained one each of the 1/4 oz. gold uncs and a 10 ozer Lion in unc. The bullion 1/4 ozers were all about MS-68, not perfect or close, but the price was ok.

The 10 oz Lion is great quality and very nice.

The Unicorn - my goodness, pretty darned nice ( and high premium as well).

I'm warming up to these coins. :)

I knew it would happen.

Oh, I bought a 1 oz. Unc Lion Plat as well. Not a bad coin either, and a decent price!

I knew it would happen.
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭

I like how chunky and thick the 2 ounce beasts are vs. 1 ounce coins. I picked up a 10 ounce silver Lion very recently and think it's pretty impressive.

Next beast in this series, should be available in September. I'm keeping my eyes open.