Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post your "Magazine Cover" coins

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in 2013, I purchased this 1902-P Barber half in PCGS AU58 from Mike Printz at Harlan J. Berk. It was part of the Broward County Type Set that they sold off in early 2013. I know multiple board members here purchased some coins from that set, and nearly all of them were nice or exceptional for the grade. The 1902 half is a nice coin in its own right, but a few days later, Mike emailed me to tell me that it was featured on the front cover of CoinAge magazine. He submitted some photos for the cover work, and several of the coins from the Broward County Type set ended up on the Feb. 2013 issue. Do you think I could find a current copy of CoinAge anywhere in my town? Of course not! But I did save an electronic copy of the cover art for posterity. I guess I got a kick out of it because I used to buy CoinAge magazine as a teenager and drool over the coins on the cover, and I finally got my hands on one of them (in a reverse-order sort of way.)

Anyone else have a "cover" coin they'd like to share? I know for certain the PCGS AU58 1805 dime on the cover below was purchased by a board member.

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few plate coins from reference books and one piece that was featured on the cover of a Stak's auction catalog that is a medal, not a coin. But I don't have any pieces that were on a magazine cover to my knowledge.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of my coins have been cover coins... I don't think so anyway.... :) I do think one may have been an auction cover... years ago I bought a Haida gold coin that I believe was featured....no way of proving that... just had a communication about it ...long since lost. Still have the Haida... one of my favorites. Cheers, RickO

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2016 7:49AM

There have to be several dozen "cover coins" owned by forum members who don't know it. Think about it.... just between Coins and CoinAge, you've got 24 covers per year with coins on them, and someone has to own them. If you Google image-search the magazine titles, a bunch of covers pop up, and you might find one of your own coins on a cover.

Nap- love the cover art humor!

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1807 half dollar was featured on the cover of the July 2004 John Reich Journal:

jrcs.org/JRJ/v16/i1/index.html

Cover Photos: New Discovery Coin 1807 O115 Draped Bust Half Dollar. Photograph courtesy of David Lang

The excellent article about the coin was written by JRCS and CU forum member Nysoto:

Discovery of a New Draped Bust Half Dollar — 1807 O115 Bill Nyberg

It's hard to believe that over 12 years has gone by since then. Still have the coin!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2016 11:22AM

Very cool!

I don't have any coins that made the cover of any magazine, but my 1799 $10 was interviewed by Newsweek.

• AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool Barber Half rhedden!
    And the cover of RED Book Civil War Tokens!!!!!! That`s cool Stef

Heres a couple I have with the one on the bottom in the PCGSs 2015 Calendar November...

AB

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2016 2:09PM

@TopographicOceans said:
    .... but my 1799 $10 was interviewed by Newsweek.

! "")

What did she say?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a buffalo nickel that made the local paper for public urination.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made the inner pages of RWBs Peace dollar book and a token in a West Virginia coal community book...but never a cover.

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

@TopographicOceans said:
    .... but my 1799 $10 was interviewed by Newsweek.

! "")

What did she say?

FAKE NEWS!

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like we have some celebrities in our mix.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2017 6:42PM

A fantastic photograph of my tremendously exciting coin collection made the cover of TIME magazine which I put into a terrific frame. I'll take a picture of it the next time I am at one of my incredible golf courses.

• BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Discovery 1795 plug half dollar was on the cover of the Sept 1997 CoinWorld

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PipestonePete said:
    A fantastic photograph of my tremendously exciting coin collection made the cover of TIME magazine which I put into a terrific frame. I'll take a picture of it the next time I am at one of my incredible golf courses.

I think this post is totally inappropriate for this Forum.
    I am ashamed of myself for loving it o:)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing new to report since last year.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

This 1905 Theodore Roosevelt inaugural medal by St. Gaudens was featured on the cover of a Stacks' - Bowers Auction catalog.. This was St. Gaudens alternative medal to the other model that was designed by Barber and Morgan, the so called "Davis Medal." Not to brag too much, but this is a simply super example of this piece which has a mintage of 125.

Here is the other Teddy Roosevelt inaugural medal.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

For TDN and myself ---

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file