Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Apollo 11 50th Anniversary coins

rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2016 2:20PM

Cool, I remember that day and what we accomplished as a nation.
    Fitting that we'll commemorate the event on a coin ... maybe, depending on the Senate.
    This should fly without much objection. Looking forward to seeing them in a few years.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know who may be interested

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted a thread about this very subject here back in August.

I just read online that it is critical for any who may support such a coin to contact their senators about it ASAP. I understand it has more than enough co-sponsors in the House to get it done but only four members of the Senate have signed on. I have contacted my senators and urge others who may be in favor of such a coin to do likewise. I know it may be a difficult thing to get done what with upcoming elections and all but we must try nevertheless.

I certainly hope it happens.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2016 2:56PM

@lcoopie said:
    I know who may be interested

Do you now? B)

BTW, it's still NOT a done deal. There was always more support in the House than in the Senate. It takes 2/3 of the Senate to support it, and currently it has 39 Senate Co-sponsors.

This is Amurika. The Basketball and Football Halls of Fame are what the Apollo 11 Commemoratives is competing against, so who knows...

Oh, as an aside, John Glenn was hospitalized today for undisclosed reasons. If you're 95, going to the hospital is never a good thing...

• Options

Well...If we all tell our senators that this is important, we certainly should be able to sway a few...after all, this is not an issue that will negatively impact their precious record.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

This is a set of mint coins I'm looking forward to buying.
    They may do a convex design like an astronauts helmet.
    I wonder what the price of gold will be in 2019?

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2016 3:05PM

"Should the bill pass in the Senate before the end of the year and the President sign it into law, then the U.S. Mint will be directed to strike convex coins bearing the iconic image reflected in Buzz Aldrin's helmet visor, as was taken by Neil Armstrong on the moon."

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@TopographicOceans....> I wonder what the price of gold will be in 2019?>
    Now if you could know that, you could likely make a million.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look forward to what will undoubtedly be another uninspired execution of a mediocre design :|

• Options
    woogloutwooglout Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

Anyone see the last mandated coin? A 3" Proof Silver $1 Coin ... Holy Schnikes!! Limit 100K, I'm in for one.

Can the Mint even make those legally without a change in law?

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

x> @wooglout said:

Anyone see the last mandated coin? A 3" Proof Silver $1 Coin ... Holy Schnikes!! Limit 100K, I'm in for one...

That's the one I want. Same size as the 5 oz America The Beautiful coin.

But maybe a bit pricey, especially with a $50 surcharge: "All sales of coins minted under this Act shall include a surcharge of $35 per gold coin, $10 per silver coin, $5 per half-dollar clad coin, and $50 per proof silver coin. "

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/2726/all-info

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2016 3:48PM

Obverse / Reverse. Neil A., / Saturn V. Forget moon landing depiction. Will look like poorly. MHO

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2016 3:45PM

x> @wooglout said:

Anyone see the last mandated coin? A 3" Proof Silver $1 Coin ... Holy Schnikes!! Limit 100K, I'm in for one...

Just wondering: Has the US Mint ever produced a 3-inch _Proof _coin?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a word.....YES

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely in - $50 surcharge on the silver??!!

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will not buy HOF trash even if it is politically incorrect. I see the HOF as a haven for a bunch of overpaid jocks (some worth it, most not).

I will buy Moon landing coins as a piece of history - IF THEY ARE PRICED RIGHT. IF they are too expensive, I will simply wait to buy them on the secondary market at a lower price once the hype is over.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    woogloutwooglout Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

@COCollector said:
    x> @wooglout said:

Just wondering: Has the US Mint ever produced a 3-inch _Proof _coin?

Just realized that 3"/76mm is the exact size of the 5oz ATB pucks. That's gonna make for an interesting coin in hand...

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully it'll look decent like some of the platinum coins.

• Options
    edited December 7, 2016 6:10PM

Going to the Moon in 1969 was a HUGE technological leap in an 8 year span. Just to put things in perspective, the ESCAPE rockets on the command module of the Saturn V, whose sole job was to pull the small manned portion of the spacecraft off the top of the Saturn V in case of emergency (e.g. the pointy tip of the Saturn V in the above picture) were MORE powerful than the entire Redstone rocket that launched the first American into space in 1961, Alan Shepard aboard Freedom 7.

Along those lines, and to post a coin to this thread, one of the favorite pieces of my collection is the Apollo Command Module Lock. Needless to say, it would be poor form to have mistakenly activated the firing switches for the escape rockets... your basic multi hundred million dollar "Ooopsie". In order to protect against this possibility the command module lock was created.

It was actually screwed in and locked to the Mission Commander's instrument panel in the command module, where it covered the firing switches. LITERALLY the last thing the Commander did before the hatch was closed was unlock and unscrew the piece from the instrument panel, and then hand the piece through the hatch. This piece was used on ALL the Apollo missions, and was the last item touched/used by ALL the Commanders before the hatch was locked shut. Of course, once unlocked, the Commander had to be VERY careful not to mistakenly hit the escape switches. Anyhow, I feel blessed to be able to own this piece.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool, as always, SkyMan. However, is that a 1968-D Washington next to the lock? I would have guessed a 1969, instead.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    I posted a thread about this very subject here back in August.

I just read online that it is critical for any who may support such a coin to contact their senators about it ASAP. I understand it has more than enough co-sponsors in the House to get it done but only four members of the Senate have signed on. I have contacted my senators and urge others who may be in favor of such a coin to do likewise. I know it may be a difficult thing to get done what with upcoming elections and all but we must try nevertheless.

I certainly hope it happens.

Thanks for the heads up. Email just sent to my senator.

• Options

Way cool B)
    I'll be sure to get at least one....

PS
    If you ever watch the moon landing, you'll hear Armstrong, repeating my moniker. ;)

• Options

On Friday night the Senate voted in favor of the Apollo 11 Commemorative coins. At this point I do not know the total of those in favor, but by the end there were 70 co-sponsors for the bill.

Technically the President still needs to sign the bill, but even if he opposed it, which I can't imagine why he would, there would still be enough votes to over-ride his veto.

• Options

Great news..... look forward to seeing the coin..... might even get one of these...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much makes me proud to be an American anymore. Thinking of their accomplishment certainly does.

• Options

Our space program was an incredible American achievement... it has since been decimated. The technological advances that sprang from NASA have widely benefited the public. Such a shame to see what it has become. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Not much makes me proud to be an American anymore. Thinking of their accomplishment certainly does.

You said a mouth full....

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2016 2:37PM

Lots of commemorative items were produced to honor the Apollo moon landings, do we need another?

Medallic Arts Apollo 11 Medal
    Copper, 38mm
    FIRST LANDING ON THE MOON / JULY 20, 1969
    THE APOLLO 11 MISSION / COMMEMORATING THE HISTORIC FIRST FLIGHT TO LAND MEN ON THE MOON

If one believes that the Apollo 11 landing was faked, would one purchase these coins or support their issuance?

Polls taken over the past forty years indicate that around five or six percent of Americans believe that the Apollo moon landings were faked.

One of these is Donald Trump.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

Gosh, Willie, I don't know.

Let's see, the First time Man stepped off the planet Earth. Yeah, you're right, that's NOT important.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin should be shaped like Neil Armstrong's first footprint in the moon dust!

Yeah, that's the ticket!

• Options

I like that idea LanLord....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@WillieBoyd2...Of course you know that comment is pure bovine fecal matter. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great news that the Senate has voted in favor! I'm looking forward to them. I just hope the design(s) are as good as the Mark Twain dollar that was minted this year.

• Options

I would still rather have the coin in the shape of Armstrong's footprint on the moon as Lanlord suggested... could still be round with a large imprint and his statement on it....It would be a tribute to the space program and the astronauts.....
    Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file