Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why are there so many Oregon Silver Commemorative issues (from 1926-1939)

It's a nice design but it went one for years and years, and certain years had production from multiple mints.
And why the gap in years? There is no 1927 or 1935 and 1929-1932 are missing as well.
And what about 1937? It was only produced at Denver.

There are 14 date/mint combinations:

1. 1926
  2. 1926-S
  3. 1928
  4. 1933-D
  5. 1934-D
  6. 1936
  7. 1936-S
  8. 1937-D
  9. 1938
  10. 1938-D
  11. 1938-S
  12. 1939
  13. 1939-D
  14. 1939-S

Here is a 1926 MS68+ example from Coin Facts.

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess a gold one will be here courtesy of US Mint come 2026?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2016 1:12PM

I wish they were still producing them

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't that have made a great one ounce silver bullion coin?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Careful what you wish for. They might be lower relief, less fine detail, revamped to be compatible with cameo proofs, computer font dreck if they were still producing them. Take a look at the 2001 Buffalo nickel dollar.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2016 5:50PM

_Why are there so many Oregon Silver Commemoratives _

Because people liked them and kept buying them

Why are there so many Walking Liberty bullion and commemorative coins?

Because people like them and keep buying them.

Is this a trick question?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2016 9:58PM

Here's a nice looking 1936-S I recently ran across:

And a larger version of the coin in the OP:

• Options
    edited December 7, 2016 9:56PM

@7Jaguars said:
    I guess a gold one will be here courtesy of US Mint come 2026?

Here's a nice gold 1927-D from Dan!

• Options

LOL! I tried with no success to buy that one off him.

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sales of the 1926 issue did not sell as well as expected. The U.S. Mint forced the Oregon Trail Memorial Association to sell the majority of the 1926 issue before shipping the 1928 year.

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2016 3:27AM

That would make an interesting collection. To get one in Mint State for each year and mint would likely not be that expensive? Are there any keys or stoppers in the "series?"

I agree it is one of the most attractive of all the commemoratives and I know I picked up at least one along the way and still have it or them somewhere.

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

I have one of these only 62 minted by Dan Carr

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Oregon Trail Commemorative is truly a beautiful coin.... it ranks right there with the classics (i.e. Walker, Merc, St. Augustine DE, Buffalo nickel)... Cheers, RickO

• Options

1940 - that is so very beautiful. I did manage one as well, superb!

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because they look so darn good!

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I don't remember which book on commemoratives it was, but I remember reading in one of them that Congress stepped in during 1939 to prevent them from making further Oregon Trail commemorative halves. I think the authorizing legislation set the maximum number of coins they could mint, but there was no limit on the dates or mintmarks, that's why we ended up with so many of them. If Congress didn't put a stop to it, it is probable that they would have continued to these coins into the 1940s and maybe even until today!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the design so much this one resides in my 7070 as one of the four classic half dollar commemoratives.

photo 1926 50C Oregon Trail Memorial Commemorative OBV.jpg
    photo 1926 50C Oregon Trail Memorial Commemorative REV.jpg

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look nice circulated to in a dovetail gray. If this would've been a series for circulation the date would've worn off

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

They might be lower relief, less fine detail, revamped to be compatible with cameo proofs, computer font dreck if they were still producing them.

And probably clad.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@northcoin said:
    That would make an interesting collection. To get one in Mint State for each year and mint would likely not be that expensive? Are there any keys or stoppers in the "series?"

I agree it is one of the most attractive of all the commemoratives and I know I picked up at least one along the way and still have it or them somewhere.

I guess it depends on how you put the set together and it what grades and degree of toning. It would cost in excess of 125k if you did the set in 68 with super toning. It would probably cost well less then 5k in 65 with minimal or no toning.

I've been working on my toned Oregon set in PCGS 67 or better for 11 years and I still have 8 coins to go. I'm going for a matched set and the wagon side must be excessively well toned. I plan on having all of them holdered wagon side up except for one. Slow going for sure and monsters of Oregons rarely come out. There are two date/mint mark that rarely come attactively toned and I still don't have those.

Mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@northcoin said:

I guess it depends on how you put the set together and it what grades and degree of toning. It would cost in excess of 125k if you did the set in 68 with super toning. It would probably cost well less then 5k in 65 with minimal or no toning.

I've been working on my toned Oregon set in PCGS 67 or better for 11 years and I still have 8 coins to go. I'm going for a matched set and the wagon side must be excessively well toned. I plan on having all of them holdered wagon side up except for one. Slow going for sure and monsters of Oregons rarely come out. There are two date/mint mark that rarely come attactively toned and I still don't have those.

Mark

Thanks! Good luck on completing the set. Does it have a place as a "Registry Set?" If not, maybe yours should be the first.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@northcoin said:

I've been working on my toned Oregon set in PCGS 67 or better for 11 years and I still have 8 coins to go. I'm going for a matched set and the wagon side must be excessively well toned. I plan on having all of them holdered wagon side up except for one. Slow going for sure and monsters of Oregons rarely come out. There are two date/mint mark that rarely come attractively toned and I still don't have those.

Mark

Great info and good luck on the collection!

In the context of this recent discussion, any thoughts on how a 125k super toned 68 set will preform relative to a 5k 65 set?

• Options

Glad SOMEONE thinks there should be such a discrepancy in price - absolutely ridiculous IMO & there are some 65s that are much more aesthetically pleasing than some of these neon glow 67s & 8s.
    As far as that goes, Dan's pieces are possibly the most attractive in semi-matte proof as shown above.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file