Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

i WOULD NEVER SELL THIS!

mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Do you have a piece (or three) in your collection you would never sell?

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Comments

• Options
    DantesDadDantesDad Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Yes, I have a few coins that I would regret terribly if I sold them, and they aren't the most expensive by a long shot.

Always buying and looking for a deal.
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ultimately, everything has a price.

Everything I got was bought or pulled from circulation, so I "paid" for it, so I will sell it, or my kids will.

Even those who say they will never sell, have a price, be it $$, things, safety or health.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most "never sell" coins either have sentimental value or are irreplaceable. Obviously, if the offer is high enough, those "never sell" coins will usually be sold.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never is a long time! I think most of us have our coins on a personal value/appreciation scale. One extreme is starvation or shrine status, the other end is make me an offer!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I did, but it wasn't so. Everything is for sale for the right price (with a few exceptions such as what joeykoins posted).

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    My Morgan Dollar (my avatar) that my Dad engraved, my name and Birth date on the Obverse and the Reverse. In which, I have in the PCGS holder. <3

Would you sell it if some billionaire offered you $10,000,000? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ricmanricman Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

I thought I had a number of "never sells". However reached point where the coins would only be a burden for the family at some point. So I sold just about everything and have had no regrets (so far). I just kept some PCGS gold.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a passion for coins but I view my stock and collection as a fluid thing, and I would sell any coin if I was happy with the price.

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

I have many coins I appreciate and like but in all honesty with the right offer the operative word is "sold".

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭

There's nothing in my coin collection I wouldn't sell. I like the thrill of the hunt, not keeping trophies on the wall.

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe this should be re-titled "I would never sell this!!-At 20% over retail"

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    My Morgan Dollar (my avatar) that my Dad engraved, my name and Birth date on the Obverse and the Reverse. In which, I have in the PCGS holder. <3

How did you get "Dads Dollar" on the label?

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

We can't take it all with us, so everything essentially has a price. I have paid stupid/never sell prices on three or four coins, and they are now my "never sell" coins.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's one I'd never sell if I could somehow get it back.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could name a few. But things are always a changing.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes a 1943d steel penny (1943 was my mom's B-day)

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have said that before and then have ended up selling them. Life is tough sometimes. I currently have a few that I hope I never have to sell.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2016 1:40PM

Just last night I found a site where someone is showing PCGS-graded PR64, PR65, and PR66 Accent Hair DCAM's; and stated in very certain terms that they were NOT for sale, but you can look at the nice pictures. I emailed him hoping he can assist me in finding coins such as those, as I am collecting those also.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always pay to much, I'd sell them all at the right price.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steveben said:
    i have coins i say that i will never sell, but the reality is that never isn't really true.

here's one:

Hey, steveben, ya wanna sell me that beautiful turban head gold piece? It sure is a beaut!!!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have to agree...every coin that i have has a price.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my "Never Sell" coins another collector wanted so bad he kept upping his buy price.

His final offer was multiples of what I paid and I should have taken it as no one else would ever write me the same check.

A few months after when communication stopped I found out he had passed away.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@joeykoins said:

Would you sell it if some billionaire offered you $10,000,000? ;)

You know what, I probably would! Then for sure I would appreciate what my father has left me, $10,000,000!!!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

I have some that I would not sell in the current market, aka, the market never recovered for these items...

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Log potato. Thrill is in the hunt. I do grip a few acquisitions tighter than others, because of the length of the hunt! :)

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some coins that I say "Ill never sell" but in reality Ive eaten my words in the past on more than a few things that I`ve said that about. I learned to "Never say Never" even if at that moment in time you truly feel that way.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I enjoy the market more than the hobby. Although the hobby locks me in, it is the market which frees me. But there are some coins I hold on to tighter than others.

• Options

I have some pieces that I would "Never" sell. But then again... I also know me, and they'd be gone at the right price.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few pieces that would, at very least, be LAST to go...

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the approximate dimensions of that tray ?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    I may be buried in some of my coins, but I'm not going to be buried with them.

You have to be buried with one of your favorite VAMs JB :smile:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

my daughter bought me an 1837 seated half dime, probably grades VG in its 2x2 holder. I would never sell that. Everything else is likely available for the right price.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

Never is extreme, but my NY 9/11 quarter (#95) is up there!

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2017 6:25PM

I think the better question is: Which coin would you never sell unless you were offered moon money? For me, every coin in my collection is for sale. I suspect most others would do the same.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several that took me years to find and are nice, and wouldn't sell them normally, but all of them have a price point at some number, it might be high!!, but it would be stupid not to sell it from a financial standpoint, so I would.

Ill give a few examples
    1810 Classic Head Large cent PCGS 55BN gold CAC (to absolute die for , lusterous, upgradeable to 62 maybe even 63BN)
    Paid over 11k for it, but if somebody offered say 20k, probably let it roll

1916-d merc PCGS MS-64+FB CAC smokin ( as nice as any 65 you will ever see on the market) In fact, so damn nice, that one year I took it to Baltimore to compare it to three 65's on the floor ,and not only me, but every dealer I showed the coin too, said hands down they rather own mine, than theirs anyday. paid over 31k , but a 45 k offer would buy it because I could find a high end 65 or even 66 to replace it as there are several out there.

1921-s WLH PCGS 58CAC (needs to be plus'd) as it will easily. Got this coin when a friend passed last year. absolute stunner. Dave kahn said one of the nicest 21-s in au he has ever seen as well as a few other good eyed national folks. Tried to buy this coin from my friend for several years with no avail. Paid strong as heck to the family to get it, but if the right offer came along , would have to let it go, but it would have to be an offer high enough to replace with a 63 as to this day I have never seen a 61-62 coin that comes close.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never Say Never.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file