Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANA Donation

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is anyone donating to the ANA to get the limited edition medal? Bronze medal is limited to 200 for a $250 donation and Silver has a mintage of 25 for a $1,000 donation. Just curious...

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass. Just like their slabbed eagles

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

No,

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Of course not. I only donate to worthy charities.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a brass farthing!

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kccoin said:
    Pass. Just like their slabbed eagles

I thought their deal on the slabbed eagles earlier this year was a great offer. I signed up several young numismatists at the Anaheim ANA show this summer under that deal. Cost around $30 or so to gift them a year's membership that includes the magazine subscription and you get the graded Silver Eagle with the ANA special label. I also pre-paid the next couple years of my own membership to get in on that deal and get myself one of those eagles.

I don't have an issue donating to the ANA, did so on a few occasions this year. But $250 for one of these medals is a bit much for me too.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

can someone explain the hatred for the ana?

i have had quite positive experiences. i have a silver eagle for renewing my membership.

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I got a slabbed Eagle for renewing my membership but I can't see paying $250 for one of these medals.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options

Yes I have trouble with the 1000 dollar donation and a $125 medal??????

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Not a brass farthing!

Why the dislike for the ANA?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whenever I've donated money to a charity, I didn't look for what I could get. I donated for the cause. I guess YN's learn you have to get a good prize to donate. But, that's just me I guess.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

@PerryHall said:

@BillJones said:
    Not a brass farthing!

Why the dislike for the ANA?

One scandal after another for starters. I've been a member for over 25 years, and they never seem to learn. The offenses have ranged from misappropriation of funds to stolen coins.

The organization also never seems to really beat drums for the issues that affect the hobby negatively. One would think that the ANA would be complaining to high heavens about the flood of counterfeit coins from China that have really hurt the hobby. I can remember the then editor of "Coin World," Beth Diesher pushing hard on the issue with presentations and articles, but I heard very little out of the ANA.

Yes, they have the lending library and some educational events, but doesn't fix a lot of problems for many collectors.

Finally I thought about exhibiting at the Winter ANA since it's going to be in Orlando. I read the rules about drilling holes in my cases, and I pulled the plug. It's just not worth it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a member.
    Pass for me.
    No hatred here.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 That is wonderful that you are signing up YN's. New collectors are always welcome.

In my mind, the slabbed Eagles, Redbook's, and current medals just seem like a gimmick. Like something a marketing whiz came up with to "grow" the organization. In the end, will these programs positively impact the hobby? I hope so

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2016 11:25PM

One issue about many ANA medals to me is that many of them don't seem to have much collector interest or premium so you can pick them up any time on the secondary market for very little.

The exception seems to be the gold and silver panda medals. I think it would be useful for the ANA to think about how to make more of their medals interesting to collectors, IMHO.

• Options

Panda medals made by the Chinese? Please

Until the Chinese do something about the counterfeit coins they are shipping to The United States, I want nothing to do with Chinese panda coins. The ANA should be ashamed of themselves for sponsoring something like this.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ANA has lost its vibrancy, and ethical basis. It is a weak or non-existent advocate for coinage design improvement and other hobby interests, and it refuses to do anything to combat rampant counterfeiting both foreign and domestic.

Much of this can be attributed to internal conflicts and self-dealing over the past decade or two, and the decline in membership which constrains funding. Bill Jones' comments are certainly appropriate and express the frustration of many long-time members.

• Options

I would like to comment on Q David Bowers excellent essay on the history of the ANA that has been in the Numismatist magazine for the past 6 months or so. He does his usual excellent job of researching and explaining the history of this organization. There have been good times and bad times but I think it is important to remember that the whole thing started very organically and has been able to continue through mostly donations. Also through the generosity of people giving there time and resources for free. I also think they have brought a lot of people into the hobby over the years.

• Options
    edited December 8, 2016 2:02AM

@BillJones said:
    The organization also never seems to really beat drums for the issues that affect the hobby negatively.

Why is this? Seems like the ANA should be pushing for issues that affect the hobby negatively (counterfeits, doctoring, gradeflation, etc.) and issues that affect the hobby positively (Liberty on circulating coins), but it never seems to do those things.

Also, does anyone have links to the medal being provided? I imagine it wouldn't be very collectible like many of their other medals, but some of them are still very artistic.

By the way, I have donated to other organizations that support numismatics this month (e.g. Wikipedia).

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO

• Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I'm a young person and owe a lot of my numismatic success to the ANA. Summer Seminar is an incomparable educational experience. Yes, the ANA has it's issues like any other organization but overall they try their best to be the "parent" organization over the hobby. That being said, I will not be making the $250 donation because 1; I'm a poor college student, and 2; until reading this thread, I had no idea it was going on.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Until the Chinese do something about the counterfeit coins they are shipping to The United States, I want nothing to do with Chinese panda coins. The ANA should be ashamed of themselves for sponsoring something like this.

These were indeed Chinese Mint products, but they were not sponsored by the ANA, though the medals commemorated the ANA Convention.

A dealer (I believe it was Mish) had them minted for the occasion and set the sale rules. Nothing to do with the ANA except the dealer was selling from his ANA table.

• Options

@pruebas said:

@BillJones said:

These were indeed Chinese Mint products, but they were not sponsored by the ANA, though the medals commemorated the ANA Convention.

A dealer (I believe it was Mish) had them minted for the occasion and set the sale rules.

Nothing to do with the ANA except the dealer was selling from his ANA table.

Somebody paid the Chinese Mint for making these things. They didn't do it for nothing. So long as the Chinese let their counterfeiters send their products to the U.S. market, no U.S. collector should patronize the Chinese Mint. The ANA should stand up for collectors and condemn this garbage. The wording on the thing celebrates the ANA. If I were leading the ANA I'd condemn any association with this product.

Who knows? Maybe the Chinese die sinker who made the faus California commemative Half Dollar in the center will apply his talents to making a larger version for U.S. consumption next. I would not put it passed them. Their code of ethics is nonexistent.

• Options
    edited December 9, 2016 2:27AM

@BillJones said:

@pruebas said:

@BillJones said:

A dealer (I believe it was Mish) had them minted for the occasion and set the sale rules.

Nothing to do with the ANA except the dealer was selling from his ANA table.

I would imagine the ANA would have to provide authorization to use their logo. Or is their logo in the public domain for anyone to use?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file