Home Precious Metals

Busted in Ecuador: 86 lb bucket of gold flakes stolen from truck in NYC

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holey moley.... wow.... what a haul..... and captured on camera. Nice try, but no cigar - they will have this dude very soon. Cheers, RickO

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Armored car guys might be looking for new employment.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thief appears to have no problem holding what is the equivalent in weight of two ASE monster boxes at chest level while he makes his get away. I suspect the reported weight was actually much less.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geeez !!!

Timbuk3
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Theft is theft, even if the bucket had been left on the sidewalk by security it would still be off limits.

I am surprised...they claim he got into a white van and went to Florida.... how they know this and he is not yet captured astounds me.... Cheers, RickO

Poor guy must have been shocked when he opened what he thought was a bucket of nickels, dimes and quarters.

You'd think with the high tech devices maybe bumping the theft up to the best US satellites and military intelligence they could have nailed the perp. quickly. It would have sent a good message; same goes with all the thefts we experience in the hobby.

I have not seen any further reports on this issue... has anyone else? Cheers, RickO

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he has the money to not have to sell right away I think he will get away with it.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

No update yet but it took one year to get this gold thief in Florida.
    http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/03/17/plea-hearing-suspected-gold-heist-mastermind/

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• @ricko said:
    I have not seen any further reports on this issue... has anyone else? Cheers, RickO

They havent said much else, except he may be in FLA. Which is pretty vague

"I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

havent seen much on it since its been reported a few days ago/

Very strange.... all on film, tracked to a van...somehow 'knows' he went to Florida, and now ... silence. Cheers, RickO

• @ricko said:
    Very strange.... all on film, tracked to a van...somehow 'knows' he went to Florida, and now ... silence. Cheers, RickO

very strange. Why they waited 2 months to report this unless they were worried that any questionable characters that knew this guy would probably kill him immediately if they saw this video. Other than that, it was kept a secret.

• Just heard he was arrested. Will post link once I find one..

• MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you scroll down after the article there is an article about his capture.
    Pretty ridiculous when you start reading about the guy.

• bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

He hasn't been captured yet from what I read, apparently, the police are looking for help finding him in LA.

This is ridiculous.... I went back and re-read the article...and scrolled down.... no further information, even in the comments.... seems the dude is still out there.....Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny comments under the article.

edited December 21, 2016 1:06PM

The guy is persistent.

He is persistent and STILL out there.... no doubt trying to figure out how to get the gold out of the country... and himself.... If he does that...he is home free.... Cheers, RickO

• first FLA now CA, Thought they knew where he was originally? ridiculoous

Fly by night thief. What are the chances you suppose he will be caught before trying to go "south of the border"?

• tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

A think after 4 deportations, something a little bit more serious should happen to him.

COA

I think a good bet could be made that he has already booked a boat out of the country. Cheers, RickO

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Expect DHS to conduct a covert manhunt for this pro. You won't know if and when he is apprehended if DHS captures him, unless they feel it is beneficial to recovery.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

100K reward, someone will drop a dime on this crook.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

ya can't tell a criminal that crime doesn't pay

I am beginning to think this dude might get away with it.... well, from authorities anyway - he is also a prime target for other criminals.... Cheers, RickO

Perhaps he committed this act so that he could pay off a debt of some sort, he sure seems adept at skirting US laws.

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I'm keeping an eye on the BST Forum just in case it shows up there. ;)

Been doing the same here. But with waiting for him to walk in and ask me to make it into bars. Poured some nice ones lately but nothing that big or that pure.

Still no news of his capture..... starting to believe he made it out of the U.S.. Cheers, RickO

• finally busted in Ecuador

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to do.

Where did you hear this, LowBudget?

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll tell you what smells in all of this.

There's no way that bucket weighs 86 lbs.

I've had the experience of lifting a 1000 oz bar of silver (while in a metal drum just like the one in the video) which by the way, weighs 62.5 lbs and I can tell you by the evidence on that video, showing how this man lifts this bucket down from the truck and carries it (almost running with it), tells me NO WAY did it even weigh 62 lbs.

A slight case of over exaggeration, most likely for the insurance companies.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave him in Ecuador. Why bring him back ? To commit more crimes ?

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2017 9:04PM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Leave him in Ecuador. Why bring him back ? To commit more crimes ?

President Trump will take care of that.

He'll build a wall around Ecuador so he can't come back.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    I'll tell you what smells in all of this.

There's no way that bucket weighs 86 lbs.

I've had the experience of lifting a 1000 oz bar of silver (while in a metal drum just like the one in the video) which by the way, weighs 62.5 lbs and I can tell you by the evidence on that video, showing how this man lifts this bucket down from the truck and carries it (almost running with it), tells me NO WAY did it even weigh 62 lbs.

A slight case of over exaggeration, most likely for the insurance companies.

Imagine trying to run down the street with a 47 pound ASE monster box.

"...NO WAY did it even weigh 62 lbs.
    A slight case of over exaggeration, most likely for the insurance companies." Definitely a possibility, however, something like that MUST have had strictly documented chain of possession with weight duly recorded and verified. If not, I surely would not want to use that company. Cheers, RickO

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did they get the Gold? The guy was an illegal and deported 4 times.
    Draw your own conclusions.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5354067/Man-shares-stole-1-6million-gold-escaped.html

So the guy basically gets a slap on the wrist. Has the girlfriend in NJ been nailed yet?

edited February 8, 2018 8:28AM

Of course she's been nailed, not sure if they caught her yet though :smile:
    At least they caught him.

• CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

In the news the reporter interviewed him and he said that he was laughing when he saw the news that day of the theft. He said that because of the word gold flakes. He said "What gold flakes? I got gold bars which i then sawed into pieces and sold in the black market for a million something." ...

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
    edited February 6, 2018 3:56PM

I heard they found the girlfriend in NJ and she was part of the interview the other day. She said the police got the money that was left, through a search/raid, I didn't see any follow up on it.

Well that wraps up most of the story... however, I do not believe that they got all the money. She likely has a large stash somewhere....Cheers, RickO