Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you buy a 3-D printer version of replicas of the coins in your collection?

Let's say the technology exists where your coins are scanned and then an exact replica of the coin is created in a metal that shows all the luster, color, cameo effect etc. of the original coin.

Then you could keep your coins entombed in their slabs stored safely at the bank, while you have your replica collection raw where you can look at and hold them.

I would. Somebody needs to get working on this.

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I would not buy replicas of the coins I already own.

What I would buy is replicas of the coins I will likely never afford, like 1793 chain cents and 1796 quarters and half dollars

Actually, don't need the 3D printer to do it, Gallery mint already took care of it, thanks GM!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Good point about buying replicas that are out of reach instead, but I'm talking about personalized exact replicas of your own coins and not massed produced Gallery Mint products.

Some art collectors have replica paintings on display of the art they own so the originals can be stored safely.
    It would be the same for coins

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Replicas of coins, medals and tokens do nothing for me. I've tried them and have come away dissatisfied. I don't even care for electrotypes, and I've seen some that were absolutely outstanding.

The one think I wish they would do with 3-D printers is have software that you could use to produce custom designed buildings for HO railroads. That would be beyond cool. You can do quite a bit with the kits when it comes to paint and signs, but changing the footprint and facades to look like a specific building in interest is hard. You see work like that in museums, but those pieces are the products of master builders.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate the word "COPY" on my coins.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

This makes no sense in any way, shape or form.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure. I'm nuts. So it should suit me fine. :#

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to have a 3D printer version of my own skull, think it would be fascinating although perhaps a bit morbid.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be a counterfeit unless the mandatory word "COPY" were included per HPA.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another name for counterfeits ... of which we need no more.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

To counterfeit is ....DEATH !!! B)

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find great accurate photos to be adequate for me.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

My large cents Dansco album has unfilled holes because I'm too chicken to crack-out the valuable coins that fit those slots.

I wouldn't mind having replicas of those coins for the album. Could that be done with a 3-D printer without cracking slabs?
    Lance.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

About the time this sort of technology appears, there will be no reason to collect coins apart from historical interest.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering the value of most of my coins, I'm not sure the copies created in this manner would be any cheaper! ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, not under any circumstances.... either the real thing, or not at all. Nor do I keep coins at the bank. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2016 11:46AM

I think that's a dangerous slippery slope that very likely someone in China is already trying to perfect.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

3-D printed coins will always have the characteristics of a cast coin, not a struck coin.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like a blow up doll instead of a robotic babe or Stepford wife ? I'd need to drink a few beers and then decide :blush:

• Options

@ricko said:
    No, not under any circumstances.... either the real thing, or not at all. Nor do I keep coins at the bank. Cheers, RickO

Yeah, but those 3-D printed banks are notoriously easy to rob and breach the 3D vaults. :p

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good one topstuf..... :D:D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. More counterfeits in the market to contend with.
    I gotta say I love a full dansco, hate having empty holes in it.
    Good idea though, and it gave me this idea;

Think I am gonna have all my key dates photographed by jtlee321, and make some "photo coins" for my dansco where the slabbed ones go.

True looking picture front and back of my slabbed coins and a small plastic center to give it some thickness.
    Way better than a sticker in the window that says "pcgs slab".

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

We can't all be a tough guy, I'll spend thirty bucks for a replica while I save up enough for thirty years to fill the empty hole

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't say NO loud enough! Terrible idea. What is with people wanting copies and replica's of coins!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    We can't all be a tough guy, I'll spend thirty bucks for a replica while I save up enough for thirty years to fill the empty hole

I bought one of those Gallery Mint 1796 half dollars years before I bought the real thing. It just never did anything for me. I still have, but the excitement level is zero for me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file