Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ok, so maybe not a white whale...

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

But I've been looking for a nice example of this piece for a long time.

It was being offered on eBay at perhaps slightly higher than market, though the market is pretty thin, and without a Make an Offer. I contacted the seller and asked if he'd consider less than he was asking. He told me if he didn't get any bids he'd consider it. Four or five days of nail-biting :# and thankfully none of you lot bid on this lot ;)

We corresponded and agreed on a price. And he shipped it. IN A PADDED ENVELOPE! :o

It arrived this afternoon...

It's a bronze medal from the 1901 Pan American Exhibition in Buffalo, NY.
The medal was designed by Hermon MacNeil, who is better known as the designer of the standing liberty quarter. There were gilt, silver, and bronze editions, all made by Gorham.

Museums with this piece in their collection include The Met in NY and the Chicago Art Institute.

The exhibition was a world's fair and drew 8,000,000 people. It's also where McKinley was assassinated, but what are you going to do?

I'm absolutely head over heels for this medal. So much better than the seller's images. It's the most gorgeous milk-chocolate color.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options

Great pick up, and an absolutely beautiful medal! Congrats.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

fantastic

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific design! And it's BIG so you can really appreciate the artistry in hand.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the medal and box. My grandfather was 16 years old and living in Buffalo at that time. It's cool to think he may have been at the Exhibition.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic I love it ... and it would look perfect in my man case.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great example Weiss. I'm a sucker for the original boxes too, though I don't know why.
    I usually take the medals out and it's just something else to keep up with.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got one of these, too, and the box for mine is in similar condition. Aren't these just wonderful?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow!

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. I had that bookmarked, was wonder if he'd relist it. :-)

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an beautiful piece of art! A stunning design and execution.
    Congratulations on this new addition.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exceptional artisanship went into that piece.

Like it very much.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice...thanks for posting it!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome! Congrats. :)
    Can we see the mark? I've never owned a Gorham bronze.
    Gorham is my favorite.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really neat item. I don't recall seeing one with the original box.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Great medal. An outstanding design by MacNeil.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome medal!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful find! Love this design. Years ago, I wrote an article about MacNeil. One of his sculptures is in a Portland, Oregon park. And there is this formidable site.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for that picture! Great piece and I love the color on it!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

That edge view pic really shows how high the relief is. Were these ever struck in silver or gold?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive piece... congratulations on a superb acquisition... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Here is my medal with the same style presentation box, though my box has gone through more hard times-

My medal was awarded to M. W. Frisbie & Sons and the inside of the presentation box says "PRIZE RASPBERRIES". I have been able to find that they were farmers in Connecticut and grew raspberries, but have not found them mentioned yet in the pamphlet.

• Options

Ah, more searching has led me to find that M. W. Frisbie & Son won a bronze medal at the exposition for a display of fruits. Presumably, the fruits were raspberries.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super sweet!!

Congrats

Mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome, @TomB !

The online references indicate around 1,150 bronze medals were awarded. But they sure are hard to find.

I suppose they could be in deep, strong handed collections. But I wonder if maybe these were the type of item that was scrapped in WWI and WWII metal drives.

Any other thoughts about relative rarity for these?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

I'm going to guess that even though this was a Pan-American exposition that the northeast US was disproportionately represented. I'd also expect that the attrition rate was very high given that there were two world wars and a major depression in store for these folks within the next two generations. Lastly, I expect that a fair number of these were awarded to out of country folks and these are likely to not return readily. Overall, my experience is that this award is far harder to obtain than the 1,150 number suggests.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great information and two really superb pieces.
    Beautiful!
    Bronze medals and coins can be so very attractive; these are almost literally breathtaking.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done, congrats!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it Weiss!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too have been looking for that Buffalo medal for years on end. You my friend have found a stellar one, in the box too!
    WOW! VERY nice indeed!!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file