Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Statehood Quarters: Baseball Players?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Guy's, First of all, please forgive the not-so-clear pictures. Has anyone
heard/seen of this series of Statehood Quarter set of MLB players on their respectful team and/or state they play in? I have a couple pics of Pujois when he was on St.Louis. on the Missouri Quarter. as well as, the Babe (In Gold) on the New York Quarter. I also have many, many other players on many other state Quarters. I've had these for years. Probably, in the early 2000's when they first came out. Anyone familiar with these? Thanks guys in advance.-joey

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stickers or enamel paint. After market (not done by the mint).

A little acetone will fix them.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

Thanks. Don't want to try to remove, yet. First, trying to find more info.

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had not seen those before.... looks as if it may have been a promotional deal by one of the novelty companies.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

They were sold at Walgreens. I don't recall at any other stores? Can these possibly have a premium? Since, not that well known?

• Options
    edited November 28, 2016 3:24PM

Found more info. From the Merrick Mint. Who?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a commercial attempt to combine coins with sports figures. They are trying to combine two hobbies.

My advice would be to leave these coins alone, if you like them. Without the stickers, the coins are probably worth no more than face value. If you like the stickers, what is the harm?

The only bad part comes where people pay big bucks for these things as part of a sales promotion. My gut tells me these sticked coins are not worth much of anything over face value. I've been out baseball cards and related collectables since 1980 when the Phillies won it all for the first time in history (over 100 years). and I wanted to commemorate the event for myself.

These things are probably not a great buy if you get them from the manufacturer, but okay if buy them very cheaply in the secondary market.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I remember I paid $2 a pack. Contents: 5 off market/generic Baseball cards and 1 coin. Foolishly, I bought approx. 40 packs throughout the years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file