Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can anyone report on the Michigan State Numismatic Society Show from the past weekend??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been well over a decade since I have been able to attend this show, I recall it fondly. The forum members, dealers and attendees always made it a show I looked forward to returning to. As I inch closer to retirement that will most likely be next year. Did anyone attend this year's show?? How was it?? Can you post a report??

Thanks in advance.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first year missing this show in a while since I did'nt come back to the US for Thanksgiving. Likewise I'd be interested in hearing how it went.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also missed it this year as I was over in the Chicago area for Thanksgiving. I must admit that I don't really like the new venue ... the former Hyatt Regency (which has changed ownership and names several times) was much more inviting though I do understand why they moved the show. How did the show go? Add me to the list of those who would like to know.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

the old Hyatt location left very little to complain about as a Saturday night in that venue was almost like Numismatic-nirvana for me.......................fun in the hall till the show closed, dinner upstairs with whatever forum members could be corralled, the auction across the hall and the drinks down at the bar on floor level.

tell me, does it get better than that??

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a transplant from MI to NC, I have also missed the last 8 MSNS shows. All the shows I attended were at the Hyatt so I don't have any experience with the new venue.

I always enjoyed that show as I attended on Black Friday to avoid all the crazy Christmas shoppers. There were always many coin nerds doing the same thing - all looking for a new treasure.

So if anyone attended, please give us some feedback....

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭

I was at the show on Thursday, which was opening day. I arrived at 10:30 and was greeted by a line to get in the show. They require a picture ID and registration paperwork to get in the door. The line moved quickly and I was in the door within 5 minutes. The venue is now held at McComb Community college in the gymnasium. I agree the change of venue a few years ago is less than ideal. But it is still well attended. The place was buzzing with collectors within the first 6o minutes. The Dealers were well stocked and friendly as usual with this show. There is a good mix of dealers including a couple of National circuit peeps like Gary Adkins and GR Tiso. It is hard to tell who actually is there because no signage exists at the Dealer tables. I walked the floor a total of 3 times. It was a challenge at times to see coins due to heavy traffic and vest pocket dealers who sprawl out in front of Dealer tables, My biggest Numismatic pet peeve!

I thought there was a nice selection of coins across all series but found the certified Buffalo's which I follow to be somewhat thin except for the usual key dates. I also thought better date certified gold was lacking. I only recall seeing one dealer with gold bullion for sale. Probably saw a half dozen bullion silver sellers. I am amazed that I saw bullion copper bars and rounds at current prices. Doesn't seem like there could be much profit in one ounce of copper! I stayed for about two hours total. I did not buy much to may dismay. No Buffalo varieties were Cherrypicked which is the first time I have been shut out at this show in 4 years. I ended up buying a fully, blazing, prooflike 1996-W Roosie in a 1996 Mint set and a 1914 Buff in a NGC holder, that looks like a Proof. A truly strange combo I know! I was also looking for Monster toned material and was not impressed with what was available. Overall the show was great! I felt safe and sound at all times and walked away in a great mood. The MSNS show is a great show put on by great people! I give it two thumbs up overall!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report Manorcourtman. It seems bullion prices are holding at pre-dip levels....dealers hoping the prices will quickly return. Nice find on the '96 mint set.... I have a couple of the W Mercs.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

All my buddy said was it seems dealers were unaware silver was under $20. He didn't elaborate and he's more or less a collector of what I call just plain stuff.

I can translate for you. what it means is that the guys who were "unaware silver was under $20" are just selling bullion as a supplement, they aren't bullion dealers so they can't afford the dip and have to ALWAYS sell off of their buy price. the chances are good that they will have their stock until the price gets close to $20 again.

• Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

I was there Saturday and Sunday, very slow those days .
    On a good note, this coin ( Nickel On A Cent Planchet ) will be on the front page of Numismatic news and Mr. Potter got the OK Saturday, to write a column to, on it .

• Options

I did see Sunday, a cool 1907 Omega, one beautiful fake coin ...

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go on the upcoming write-up on that nickel / cent planchet Rick. That definitely is a perfect "10" with the cool and wow factor!

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

You were with some guy wearing a Hawaiian shirt and he may have had a chicken with him.

I'd sure like to hear this. Keets?

• Options

it was MadMarty and to know him is to love him. :)

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    it was MadMarty and to know him is to love him. :)

I remember taking a few road trips with him to go to that show. We'd leave about 2 am from the Chicago area and hit the show just as it opened. One time we drove through a snow storm, never heard Marty quiet for 5 minutes solid!

• Options

@PocketArt said:
    Way to go on the upcoming write-up on that nickel / cent planchet Rick. That definitely is a perfect "10" with the cool and wow factor!

Thanks PocketArt . Here's a 63 graded by pcgs, not sure if the grade is correct .
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-JEFFERSON-NICKEL-STRUCK-ON-CENT-PLANCHET-MINT-ERROR-COIN-PCGS-MINT-STATE-63-/222223536925?hash=item33bd8e131d:g:zt4AAOSwgZ1Xtgaz

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file