Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"United Snakes of America" Token Bryan Money S-360

DCWDCW Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a cool new purchase:

38mm, struck in aluminum. Listed as very rare in Fred Schornstein's book. This token or "Bryan Money" medalette from the 1900 Presidential election is quite interesting! The obverse features an old woman riding a donkey over a goose that has "POP" branded into its sides. Its legend bears the striking, "United Snakes of America," and adds "Anti-expansion" and "Anti- everything" for good measure.
The reverse mocks Bryan's 16 to 1 idea of free silver with the "One Dam" denomination.
I've seen the more common United Snakes of America token with the donkey head on a goose, but Ive never seen one of these for sale before. So I jumped on it. What do you guys think?
Feel free to post your Bryan Money to this thread as well...

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a cool piece, DCW, and great political cartoons, Zoins. I have always liked Puck's take on various issues and this 1901 cover is a classic, as well-

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Donkey Head on a Goose United Snakes is VERY common compared to what you just bought. I've seen 3 of your example available in recent months which is really uncommon, however all have been lower grade and somewhat problematic. Finding a example in UNC with full lustrous surfaces will prove to be quite a challenge.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice piece....and those political cartoons are great...much better than contemporary offerings. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pieces @BillJones !

Your collection must be absolutely breathtaking. You consistently post the most amazing and historical pieces! And I wouldn't have known about the token I just bought had I not seen it in a previous thread of yours.

Thanks and keep 'em coming!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! It took me quite a while to find one at a decent price. The "goose" version is so much easier to locate than the "donkey." I was also thrilled to finally locate a nice "donkey." Well done!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice piece Bill.... and thanks for the history....as always, much appreciated. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 214 ✭✭✭✭

I was sent to this thread from a BST listing by @U1chicago and this thread definitely delivers! I think @BillJones could put his collection in display cases and open it up for tours!!! Very interesting reading on a Sunday morning tour through the forums.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple from my collection.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file