Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Real or fake

This coin was found with quite a few others in my grandfather's or great uncle's belongings. Can anyone tell if it looks authentic? Just a guess? Or can anyone recommend someone reputable in the Atlanta area?

Thanks in advance!
Jennifer

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

CRO may be able to help email the photo to them

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please never clean or mess with any coin. Ruins the value.
    Welcome to the forum and I'm sure you get a good response or two very shortly.
    Does not look authentic to my eyes.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Ptvetter, who is CRO? Sorry, I'm very new to this?

• Options

Bob,
    I have not and will not clean this until I know something for sure! Are authentic versions of this coin pretty common? Thanks for the help!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern cast copy. No value.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:

How can you tell? Not that I'm disagreeing, just curious.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never had one, never held one. I'm sure there are more fakes out there than authentic ones.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin over 300 years old would show "age". this does not. Additionally there's no detail on this coin. The pine tree is suppose to have small branches facing up. I see none on this. But the color is way off.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to bum you out.

As always, don't ever clean anything numismatic in nature. You can have a local coin Dealer verify our opinions.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a pic of the several others that came with this? Just because this one wasn't good doesn't mean that you won't find a surprise in the rest...

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

These were notoriously struck off center. Yours shows all legends complete, with no wear at all. Red flag.
    This also looks like it was struck on an aluminum planchent, another red flag.
    Should be silver, which would most likely tarnish some in the last three centuries!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jenn4480 said:

@CaptHenway said:

How can you tell? Not that I'm disagreeing, just curious.

Among other things the little bubbles caused by air pockets in the mold. Plus I used to be Senior Authenticator for the American Numismatic Association.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is pretty clearly a modern piece and most likely sold as part of a gift shop package at a museum. If I recall correctly, these were available in large numbers, and for little money, in the 1970s at most museums or historical landmarks and, given this was the height of Bicentennial mania, they sold very well. The lettering is too well done and even throughout both obverse and reverse and the planchet used is too well rounded, as well. Overall, it looks little like a real piece and overwhelmingly like those modern pieces.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2016 8:38PM

PCGS Coin Facts

XII = 12 -- 12 What? 12 pence (British money) & 12 pence is a shilling

Look on that page for shillings

1) that grainy texture on your copy is from casting the metal in something like sand.

2) the detail is too varied from the lettering & tree - why is some strong and some weak

3) it's not 1652 era crude enough

4) etc

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Very interesting! Thanks so much for your help! I'll pull out the others tomorrow and take some pictures.
    Thanks again!

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, not real.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gotta say, if that's not serious corrosion, then it a cast copy. I'm inclined to agree with the others.
    Welcome to the forum.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

I can't vouch for the non-authenticity of your coin, but I can vouch for CaptHenway's opinion.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

Among other things, it's too round, too flat and looks struck. Large planchet Pine Tree shillings were produced on a rocker press.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks bogus to me as well.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2016 8:41AM

As the others have said, it's a copy, probably from the 1970s before the Hobby Protection Act required the "COPY" to appear on such pieces. There are a number of large size Pine Tree Shilling varieties. This is Noe 1, which is generally the best made of the these coins. This varity has been the "poster child" for the Pine Tree Shilling series.

I would also add that most all of these coins were struck slightly bent. They were made on a device called a rocker press that rolled over the plancet there striking the coin in a progression rather than all at once. The screw press, which was used extensively, had an up and down motion. The small sized Pine Tree Shillings were made on a screw press.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jenn4480.... Welcome aboard... we look forward to seeing your other coins.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file