Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Was it a coincidence, or (coin) incidence on Lincoln,Roosevelt,Kennedy coinage...

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

...that Lincoln faces right, right wing republican, on the cent.Roosevelt on the dime faces left, left wing democrat. And Kennedy faces left,left wing democrat, on the half dollar. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has noticed the (coin) incedence. Thoughts? Any other coinage with the same scenario?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    ..... And in today's politics, Kennedy would be a conservative Republican.... Cheers, RickO

EXACTLY what I was going to say, but decided to stay out of it. You brought me back in.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back..... :D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I first read the title of your post, I looked to see if it was posted by Phil Dunphy... ;)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2016 3:08PM

Back in Lincoln's day he was not "a right wing politician." He was at least a moderate "liberal" who supported an end to slavery. In 1860 he supported an end to the expansion of slave territory which was a moderately liberal view. The radicals wanted it ended immediately. That's why one of them called him, "a first rate, second rate man." Lincoln also stood with the rest of the Whig and then Republican Party which called for higher taxes (tariffs) and bigger government (public works projects). That would be viewed as the "liberal" position today.

The conservatives or "right wing" wanted slavery to survive and expand, and they were mostly Democrats. The Democrats stood for lower taxes and smaller government for much of the 19th century. The switch started with William Jennings Bryan when he won the Democratic presidential nomination in 1896.

The right facing Lincoln began with a photo by Mathew Brady which was the inspiration for a Lincoln medal by Victor D. Brenner dated 1909. That led to the Lincoln Cent obverse design.

As the Kennedy Half Dollar, the left facing view of Kennedy appeared on his inaugural medal and his U.S. Mint medal. Perhaps that was his better side and was not tied to any political labeling.

The same could be said for FDR. When he was shown in profile on his inaugural medals, he was shown from different views. He faced left in 1933 and 1941 and right in 1937 and 1945. I don't see any real pattern.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it apply to the allegorical's as well? ;)

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    Back in Lincoln's day he was not "a right wing politician." He was at least a moderate "liberal" who supported an end to slavery. In 1860 he supported an end to the expansion of slave territory which was a moderately liberal view. The radicals wanted it ended immediately. That's why one of them called him, "a first rate, second rate man." Lincoln also stood with the rest of the Whig and then Republican Party which called for higher taxes (tariffs) and bigger government (public works projects). That would be viewed as the "liberal" position today.

The conservatives or "right wing" wanted slavery to survive and expand, and they were mostly Democrats. The Democrats stood for lower taxes and smaller government for much of the 19th century. The switch started with William Jennings Bryan when he won the Democratic presidential nomination in 1896.

The right facing Lincoln began with a photo by Mathew Brady which was the inspiration for a Lincoln medal by Victor D. Brenner dated 1909. That led to the Lincoln Cent obverse design.

As the Kennedy Half Dollar, the left facing view of Kennedy appeared on his inaugural medal and his U.S. Mint medal. Perhaps that was his better side and was not tied to any political labeling.

The same could be said for FDR. When he was shown in profile on his inaugural medals, he was shown from different views. He faced left in 1933 and 1941 and right in 1937 and 1945. I don't see any real pattern.

Thank you for the information. I was unaware of much of what is within your post. I don't hesitate to post as you can always learn by asking or creating a thread. Proof of that is given to me here by the assorted responses.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@mbogoman said:
    When I first read the title of your post, I looked to see if it was posted by Phil Dunphy... ;)

Who is/was Phil Dunphy?

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@mbogoman said:

Who is/was Phil Dunphy?

Modern Family character. he's always coming up with similar plays on words...

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

No significance at all. Possibly more telling of modern inadequate education in American history than anything else.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file