Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a great great bargain coin (In your eyes anyway)

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 24, 2016 9:54PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guy's, You can show your bargain price or not, it's up to you. My great bargain coin is this Soho coin. Just the year and History behind it makes it worth it! All these were hand punched. Plus, the coin encased by NGC is an additional bonus. Despite the "Detail Grade". Price $9

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2016 10:24PM

Looks pretty nice. Can't go wrong for $9!

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2016 12:38AM

Yep. Nice pickup for nine bucks.

I have its flashier twin, but paid about eighty-three times what you did! LOL

This Roman AE3 of the emperor Licinius I (308-324 AD) cost me $20. Had nice desert patina and sharp details- you can even see the pupil in his eye and the wispy little hairs in his beard. Not to mention peacocks and bound captives and all that.

More recently, this nicely toned silver gem cost me $31, in a PCGS Secure Plus MS65 holder with TrueView.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up an 1883 CC Morgan, MS64... not slabbed... for $20... that was a nice deal. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

well this 1917 lamination error nickel i bought out of the half off box for $1.25 (the shop owner thought it was damaged and wouldn't sell so he tossed it into the half off box)

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullsitter:

I had never seen all 4 PR or all 4 MS buffalo coins side-by-side. Now that I have, I think my impression of these coins has risen by about 500%. They look really sharp all together.

Mark

• Options
    edited November 25, 2016 12:38PM

@lordmarcovan said:
    Yep. Nice pickup for nine bucks.

I have its flashier twin, but paid about eighty-three times what you did! LOL

This Roman AE3 of the emperor Licinius I (308-324 AD) cost me $20. Had nice desert patina and sharp details- you can even see the pupil in his eye and the wispy little hairs in his beard. Not to mention peacocks and bound captives and all that.

More recently, this nicely toned silver gem cost me $31, in a PCGS Secure Plus MS65 holder with TrueView.

Yes! Nice pick ups Rob. That Roman coin rocks, Esp. for what you paid. Also, that PCGS coin was a great bargain too!-joey
    Whoa, I just took a glance at the Twin coin of mine. WoW, what a SICK coin, dude! That eighty-three times the price as mine (to me) was well worth it, Rob. Nice coin.-joey

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@silverpop said:
    well this 1917 lamination error nickel i bought out of the half off box for $1.25 (the shop owner thought it was damaged and wouldn't sell so he tossed it into the half off box)

Great Bargain!

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Bought these already graded 2 months before they started selling out.

Very Beauuutiful sets. <3

• Options

@ProfHaroldHill said:

I paid more for the slabbing than I did for the coin.

Nice "Woody", dude

• Options

@ricko said:
    I picked up an 1883 CC Morgan, MS64... not slabbed... for $20... that was a nice deal. Cheers, RickO

For any CC Morgan $20 is a great great bargain, Ricko

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

This didn't happen in 1884, did it, RickO? Cheers!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

$50 raw at the Long Beach. It's one of if not the favorite in my collection. Seller must have thought it was AT but the pullaway told a different story and he obviously wasn't a VAMmer either. Had a $1500 offer on her recently but I love her too much. She was my first mega cherry plus I'm both a tonner guy and VAMmer. This coin is the best of both worlds imo :smile:

The more you VAM..
  • Options

And to go with it I picked up one in pcgs 64 recently for only $160! Seller wanted high standard 64 money for it but its a $500 +/- VAM in 64 so I couldn't pull the cash out fast enough :blush:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB...... :D:D:D Good one.... No, actually, a fellow at work brought it in .... said "I know you like coins.... Had this for a long time.... will you give me $20?" I said well, it is very likely worth more.... He said..."Yeah, but just give me $20 and I will be happy."..... So, I did...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2016 7:20PM

Nice picks!

Bought this for $90 at a major show, unattributed, off center clash reverse.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2016 7:51PM

Here's my latest cherrypick from a few days ago. Got it for under standard regular 63 money. Due to the cracked slab the dealer just wanted it gone. It's one heck of a killer clashed VAM worth around $300 in 63. You can see most of the obverse on the reverse with this one :sunglasses:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2016 9:53PM

@joeykoins said:

@silverpop said:

Great Bargain!

How much would this nickel be at a retail price if $1.25 is a great bargain? I'm curious because I've picked up quite a few of these lamination errors over the past few years and always wondered what kind of premium to a regular circulated Buff they would present.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options

@lordmarcovan said:
    I paid around 3 or 4 cents for this. Something less than a nickel, anyway. Found in a bulk lot of Wheat cents. :)

I'm going to use from another thread, C'MON MAN!!! nice find Rob! <3

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2016 4:36AM

Bought this years ago, probably 10 or so for $75, had no idea it was a VAM145 EDS till many years later. Not a terribly rare VAM but I think I did ok.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2016 4:28AM

Well done Rob, musta been shocked to find a key in decent condition.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought this raw for $4 on eBay.
    Graded by PCGS 1st time through at MS66RB.

• Options

I'd like to thank Andrew Jackson and his twin brother also named Andrew Jackson for allowing me to trade them for this Joker.... Why_so _serious! :mrgreen:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2016 10:09PM

I thought this 1797 13-star half dime was a heck of a bargain, when priced as a Fair-2

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a 1909 Lincoln Cent I picked up back in October at a local show for $5.00. It has a very nice wood grain effect, some nice iridescent toning and a detached lamination and a peeling lamination on the reverse. It was a no brainer.

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought this from a junk pile @ double face

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

At spot platinum.

At melt.

Melt.

For $50

$75.00

All in the last two mo. I have had a thankful year so far.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the 2015 High Relief American Liberty Gold. But not affordable for me. And not a bargain given the 50k mintage.

So I was thrilled by the price ($35) and mintage (12,500) for the 2016 silver version:

Happily, I was able to buy Mint-direct despite the 6-minute sellout.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

I'm kinda skirting the rules here for this post because I'm showing not just a coin, but an entire proof set. The reason I like this one is because I was fortunate enough to pick it up for only $27. And it includes both the Accent Hair Kennedy and the (not quite so popular) pointed-9 dime. But the combination of both is rare so I dig it.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    edited November 28, 2016 11:07AM

@KollectorKing said:
    Bought this from a junk pile @ double face

Now that's a deal alright! :*

• Options

@mt_msla said:
    I'm kinda skirting the rules here for this post because I'm showing not just a coin, but an entire proof set. The reason I like this one is because I was fortunate enough to pick it up for only $27. And it includes both the Accent Hair Kennedy and the (not quite so popular) pointed-9 dime. But the combination of both is rare so I dig it.

You go right ahead to show sets, whatever a great bargain consists of, and what you have there is a "great bargain". Nice. I too found one such as yours (Accented Hair/Pointed 9) I placed mine in a see-thru box. It's a better impression that way. I sold mine at a show years ago. I forgot what I priced it at but I know I did receive a nice profit (Great Bargain). B)

• Options

Nice Gold Candy! Good eye with your bargain coin.

• Options

Not the greatest picture, but paid $17 raw for this one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file