Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1794 Flowing Hair Dollar without Stars Pattern in Copper

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 9, 2017 11:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

How much do we know about the 1794 Flowing Hair dollar pattern in copper without stars?

USPatterns.com indicates only one specimen of J18/P27 is known with a pedigree starting with J. W. Haseltine going up to Simpson today. It also mentions that it uses a different die than the regular issue pieces. Is there only 1 known coin/pattern from this die?

Wikipedia seems to indicate several were struck in what seems to be a reference to Julian:

After the dies were created, several copper test pieces were struck. Officials decided to add fifteen stars around the periphery, representing the fifteen states that had ratified the Constitution to that point, to the right-facing Liberty on the obverse.

CoinFacts mentions the engraver and designer is unknown. Can we be fairly certain Robert Scot designed / engraved this coin and Frederick Geiger did the lettering as mentioned on Wikipedia?

Comments

• Options
    edited November 24, 2016 4:29PM

@afford said:
    If it was designed in 1794 wouldn't Robert Scot have to be involved.

That's my thinking as well, but perhaps there's a reason CoinFacts says unknown instead of Robert Scot?

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2016 4:19PM

Not the best picture, but my two examples of the type (obv and rev) are shown in the upper right

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    edited November 24, 2016 5:37PM

Very nice @Baley. I didn't know these existed but just looked them up. Looks like the Gallery Mint struck the copper patterns 15 years ago. This is mentioned in the GMM newsletter from Feb 2001 which also has some nice info on Mint operations back in 1794. The discussion and use of old style minting techniques for these is neat.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

We know that the obverse die was not used to strike the regular issue 1794 dollars. At one time the claim was this pattern was made, then the Stars were added to the design. Comparisons between the two show that that is not true. At any rate using a die to strike some impressions and then modifying it extensively is not practical. The die would have to be softened, modified and hardened again. Such a die would not last for long before cracks would appear, and it would useless fairly quickly.

As for designer, it had be Robert Scott. The design was really the Liberty Cap bust without the cap.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@Zoins said:
    Very nice @Baley. I didn't know these existed but just looked them up. Looks like the Gallery Mint struck the copper patterns 15 years ago. This is mentioned in the GMM newsletter from Feb 2001 which also has some nice info on Mint operations back in 1794. The discussion and use of old style minting techniques for these is neat.

exactly so, Zoins! Interestingly, the Gallery Mint is another category of exumonia that most members of this forum appear to disdain, even as they lap up the offerings of Carr and others who produce even more modern reproductions and fantasy items. Go figure.

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

@afford said:
    "If it was designed in 1794 wouldn't Robert Scot have to be involved."

I think the person best qualified to answer that question is CU Forum member Nysoto (William F. Nyberg), who recently wrote an excellent biography on Robert Scot - "Robert Scot, Engraving Liberty". I recently purchased a copy of this biography, but have only read about 50 pages, so I cannot answer the question myself. Perhaps Nysoto will make an appearance here and enlighten us.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    We know that the obverse die was not used to strike the regular issue 1794 dollars. At one time the claim was this pattern was made, then the Stars were added to the design. Comparisons between the two show that that is not true. At any rate using a die to strike some impressions and then modifying it extensively is not practical. The die would have to be softened, modified and hardened again. Such a die would not last for long before cracks would appear, and it would useless fairly quickly.

As for designer, it had be Robert Scott. The design was really the Liberty Cap bust without the cap.

It is not impossible that the copper impression(s) might have been made from an unhardened die that could later have been altered by adding stars, but as you say we know that the No Stars die was NOT altered for whatever reason.

I wonder if it might be possible that two dies were deliberately created, one with stars and one without, just so the powers that were could see which looked better and choose between them.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reconstructing history can be a difficult process... finding these old communications really helps...although sometimes, they introduce new questions. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just as an aside, I have always preferred the designs without stars in the fields, such as the 1796 No Stars Quarter Eagle, the 1836 dollars, the 1837 and 1838 half dimes and dimes made in imitation of the 1836 dollars, and the 1876 Sailor Head pattern dollar with the no stars obverse.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint officials may have liked the no stars types too. They were easier to strike, especially for the smaller coins, the half dimes and dimes.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2018 1:18PM

I'm a fan of both the no stars and stars designs:

No Stars:

1. Very clean obverse

Stars:

1. I love the way they are cut and think they are very interesting to look at
    2. I'm a big fan of the circular die cracks that connect the stars - it has a great look
  • Options

Very nice pictures!
    Two different coins, with Hobby Protection Act compliance COPY stamp on the sides not shown?

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes @Baley , I just ran into this thread as I was researching something else. Google really searches PCGS well.
    I also think that Ron does great work and deserves much more respect.

• Options
    EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

The 1794 copper pattern was struck prior to the stars being added and before details of the hair were completed. All trial pieces are considered electrotypes, with only two known genuine coppers. Both plain edge and Adams-Woodin 15 cut down to use as half cent planchets. Walter Breen can be credited with the discovery through examination of a half cent with enough of the half dollar's details evident. One, if not mistaken, was once part of the Brand Collection.

• Options
    EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

Sorry. That's the other coin. There are two dollar patterns for 1794. The first used regular dies for both obverse and reverse, a single uncirculated near proof like example with strong hair, stars and date. A-W 14, lettered edge. Like the half, all others are electrotype, some of which are silver plated. The second pattern used the regular die reverse while the obverse was an incomplete die before the stars were added and the hair details . These are A-W 13, lettered edge as well. As to a trial number, it's a guessing game. But both types are classified as unique.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file