Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: Which 1930-S Standing Liberty Quarter do you Like More?

BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭
edited November 23, 2016 11:38PM in U.S. Coin Forum

1 or 2?

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Poll: Which 1930-S Standing Liberty Quarter do you Like More?

This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    b

They are both acceptable for the AU grade, the toning on "a" appears to have perhaps gotten into the surface of the coin. For that reason I voted for "b."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭
    b

Prefer the over-all appearance of the second.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the same coin.

Larry

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

B - overall. I like the toning on A's obverse the best, but the spot between America & E Pluribus on the reverse... distracting.

'dude

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    b

They look like the same coin with b having been dipped..... I like the appearance of b more than a.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    b

What Ricko said

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    b

I went with the second one. it looks better to me

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

2nd coin for me.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    b

@ldhair said:
    It's the same coin.

You are correct. It's scary how one can play games with photos.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have thought that area under the 'E' in America was terminal.
    No sign of it in the second pic.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    b

@sparky64 said:

Yes, but all of the marks on the coin are in the same places. That's just not possible on two different coins. The coin either dipped or the photo has a lot of photo shopping.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2016 6:58AM
    b

The thing that really turns me off on A is that unusual patch of something between AMERICA and E PLVRIBVS. I can't tell if it's toning or some sort of substance on the surface. It looks much better conserved.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    b

I assume it has been dipped in image b......

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

I'll choose "C" . The heavy mark above the knee on both,shows it is the same coin.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko
    I agree with ricko, if you look at the E in WE and the detail around the obverse perimeter, they seem like the same coin.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    b

Same coin .And a good dip job.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    b

Dip her again and start over buy putting her in a TBN. :wink: "B" look a a bit better.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭
    b

You guys are good; it is the same coin. After giving coin A some "TLC", coin B resulted. It turned out better than I thought it would. I thought the large spots on the reverse were there to stay.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job. :+1:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same coin; has too much wear for AU grade...very nice EF. Good acquisition for a nice collection of SL quarters.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I determined it was the same coin last night...but didn't comment because I didn't want to spoil it. ;)

But, I will speak for A). There is some character there that was lost in the dipping. The longer I stay in this hobby, the more I appreciate a circulated coin that has character....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@sparky64 said:

Yes, but all of the marks on the coin are in the same places. That's just not possible on two different coins. The coin either dipped or the photo has a lot of photo shopping.

I had already concluded that it's the same coin.
    It's the reverse stain removal that got my attention.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    b

I chose "B", but they are the same coin. Just didn't like the toning, and the cleaning didn't make it much better.

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2016 12:18AM
    b

I think it looks better after the dip

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file