Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New 1802 Draped Bust Large Cent to Share

Just picked up this 1802 S-242 Large Cent. It's in a PCGS AU-55 holder. I don't have Noyes' census, but according to the seller, it's 6th in the census for the variety with Noyes grading it 45/40 Average+. I haven't traced the provenance back, but again according to the seller, it's Ex-Doug Bird, Robbie Brown, and Wes Rasmussen. It's a little darker than the pics appear, but has really nice even brown surfaces. It's a great coin for my early type set that I was happy I was able to acquire. Of course, when it rains it pours because I bought this coin about 24 hours after I had just bought another Draped Bust type for my set (to put that in perspective, I was only able to add 1 coin to my type set in the previous 12 months - so 2 in 24 hours was pretty unexpected). Just wanted to share - comments/feedback both good and bad welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice example. Congratulations!

I don't have Noyes condition census either, so I can't help you with that one. I image Noyes would probably call it an EF-40. People say I'm a tough grader ... Noyes is brutal. I agree with the PCGS grade or perhaps might slip back to AU-53, but no lower.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's in real good shape.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! Super nice example <3
    Congratulations on such a nice pickup.
    SWEET

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Very nice. I like em a little more chocolate-y myself, but no complaints.

Avid Collector of Early US Type Coins.
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Your coin sold thru Heritage at the FUN auction #360,
    Jan. 13, 2005, lot# 3292 in the Wes Rasmussen Collection.

1802 AU-58 NGC. VF-35 EAC., Die State III, R.2
    This splendid cent just misses the expanded Condition Census recorded
    by Del Bland. The 15 finest coins range from AU-55 down to XF-40, with this cent
    at the next lower level. We suggest that it is one of the 20 finest of this die
    marriage. This is a choice quality cent with medium chocolate-brown surfaces
    and some lighter chestnut-brown color. A faint scratch on Liberty's cheek is
    only visible with a glass. Die state evidence indicates that the 1803 Stemless
    variety, S-243, was struck prior to the 1802 Stemless variety with the same
    reverse (S-241), and that this example was struck after S-241, thus also after
    the first of the 1803 cents.

Ex: Superior (9/88), lot 1801; Doug Bird (11/89); Robinson S. Brown, Jr.
    (Superior, 1/96), lot 337. (#1470)

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super nice looking AU large cent!
    I love it!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Very nice Draped Bust Large Cent, Congratulations.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

I particularly like the strike!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great example! Congratulations.
    I am more concerned with nice, mark free surfaces than anything else and that is splendid.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oy-yoi-yoi! What a beautiful brown beauty!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.
    The cents of '02 and '03 are generally much nicer than most other Draped Bust cents - but this one looks particularly exceptional.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the coin. Nice selection!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding type coin! I love the color and surfaces.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin!!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... that is a gorgeous cent....I just love the old copper, especially when it looks like this... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Great detail on that coin.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with that one, very nice! Now try to find an 1806 like that! ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file