Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

In search of PCGS 1964 proof Kennedy half dollars

mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in search of PCGS graded 1964 proof Kennedy Half dollars. I currently am looking for the following:
pr60, pr61, pr62, pr63
cameo pr63
accent hair pr62, accent hair pr63
Any leads, or if you have one (or more) for sale please let me know! Thanks!

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mt_msla...It would be a good idea to post this on the BST....and also try to go to one or more of the large coin shows.... I do not sell coins...although I do have Kennedy's.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 11, 2016 6:07AM

@ricko Will do thank you for that suggestion!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins like that will be tough to find for a couple of reasons.

First, it does not make economic sense to certify JFK half dollars in those grades. The certification adds nothing to the value.

Second, the old flat pack Proof set mint holders have provided surprisingly good protection for the coins over the years. About the only way that you could significantly lower the grade of coins that have been kept in those holders has been to store the coins in extreme heat, cold or constant exposure to light. The low grade coins are more apt to be found in coin albums and envelops.

I hope you find the coins you want, but those items are going to be almost as tough as the 1964 JFK Proof half dollars in PR-68 Cameo holders.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones It's mostly just a desire of mine to have completion of the range of grades for the 1964 proof Kennedy half dollar series. I've got a bit of a start already. Just a personal goal of mine.

I've considered branching out to ANACS and NGC to look for potential cross-overs ... but I've got time. I not only am after the lowbies, but the big guns too ... the accented hair cameo and deep cameo pr68's and pr69's. This is a set that will take me some time.

But I'll get there. I think.

1964.jpg 316.5K

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

buy some raw Proofs and wipe them lightly with a soft cloth to sufficiently hairline them, submit them to PCGS and continue till you get the grades you desire.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file